BREEDING LONGHORN

Help Support CattleToday:

poorfarm

Reaction score
I HAVE RECENTLY GOTTEN SOME LONG HORN HEFS., NEVER HAD THIS KIND BEFORE.
THEY ARE AROUND 12-13 MO. OLD, SMALL FRAMED AROUND 600-650 LB.
DO YOU BREED BY WEIGHT OR AGE ON THEM. I HAVE NOTICED THEY ARE MOUNTING EACH OTHER.
LONG HORN BREEDERS GIVE ME ADVICE PLEASE.

We start exposing ours at 14 months. Given the "average" weight of a LH cow would be around 1,000#, they should be at around 650# or so at 14 months. At that weight, age, should probably have a small to medium sized bull service them. Say around 1250 to 1500# max. After they've had their first calf, can expose them to a larger bull.

If you have one, a yearling bull 14 to 16 mos old weighing 800 to 1200# would be good choice also for servicing a smaller young heifer.

Good advice from Bill.

We normally expose our heifers starting at 16 - 18 months of age. In the past, we have put them out with a bull at 12-14 months, but have decided that giving them a few more months to mature and grow seems to produce a better first calf.

baxter78":3gy8q2ye said:
Running Arrow Bill":3gy8q2ye said:
We start exposing ours at 14 months. Given the "average" weight of a LH cow would be around 1,000#, they should be at around 650# or so at 14 months. At that weight, age, should probably have a small to medium sized bull service them. Say around 1250 to 1500# max. After they've had their first calf, can expose them to a larger bull.

If you have one, a yearling bull 14 to 16 mos old weighing 800 to 1200# would be good choice also for servicing a smaller young heifer.

Wow I had no idea of the weights. I sale for pounds. They definitely would not fit my breeding program. I have calves that wean over 650 pounds and as yearlings the bulls are well over 1200 usually and the heifers are close to 1000 pounds some more than that. Not to knock long horns but you all can have them.

Baxter...so do I...but we are talking longhorns....a totally different situation with a totally different approach.

TXBobcat":2agciloc said:
Good advice from Bill.

We normally expose our heifers starting at 16 - 18 months of age. In the past, we have put them out with a bull at 12-14 months, but have decided that giving them a few more months to mature and grow seems to produce a better first calf.

Just checked your website. Now those are some beautiful longhorns. Mature and with size.

baxter78":81w2hyzw said:
Running Arrow Bill":81w2hyzw said:

Wow I had no idea of the weights. I sale for pounds. They definitely would not fit my breeding program. I have calves that wean over 650 pounds and as yearlings the bulls are well over 1200 usually and the heifers are close to 1000 pounds some more than that. Not to knock long horns but you all can have them.

If used right - LH has a valuable place in a commercial herd - far too many people know very little about their capabilies in the breeding and mothering department - as well as their ability to raise a calf on next to nothing. Those people, well they tend to tell everyone those LH are only good for horns.

Crossed with SH, HH and RA - we put out some fine calves. I never used Char but they would work I think.

All our HH heifers were bred to LH - small calf - no probs - our cows nearly always had their first calf within a month of their second birthday. When born at 20 - 30 - 40 below zero - on snow the calves bounced up real fast. Heifers with small calves are a true blessing - especially on the 0230 patrol in the winter calving time.

Lots to be said for a live calf And I bet our feed bill was way below folks with big grain bills. Lots of trade offs that need to be examined before that big beefy calf is more profitable - and profit is the bottom line - NOT the size of the calf. Anyone can make a big calf - but can they make it profitable?

I hear the pounds statement all the time - there was a time when I would put up our crosses against the others out there.

Do not knock them until you tried them - and when you are calving out 150 first timers in January in the Canadian prairies with lousy infrastructure - you will appreciate those calves even more. Never had to pull them or doctor them.

One final thing - the best calf in north west Alberta 4H - in all classes - was a black calf with a white belly and white socks - called Lotsa' Moohla' - 1/4 LH + 1/4 Angus + 1/2 Horned Herf. Six different classes and six different judges - won them all. Made a lot of money for a little girl that year - and it was entirely representative of the average herd product - it came from the calves my 14 year old daughter produced from her cows in that herd of ours.

She was the person to first bring in LH as an experiment - now I believe more people need to look at them.

The national profit per animal is now well below the 100 dollar number - so profit is FAR more important today. it looks good to see a big cheque and know your animla is worth $XX.XX dollars - but profit is way down.

Pounds? Yup a great thing. But if you only clear 65 bucks (all in) on a calf that weighs 700 pounds and you clear 83 bucks (all in) on a calf that weighs 550 pounds - who is the better rancher if each person sells the same number of calves?

If you - or anyone you know in the business are regularly making more than 100 bucks per animal after all is said and done I would say Bravo!

Regards

Bez+

Bez...totally different situation but used to run longhorn bulls with dairy heifers because of the small calves that seem to just shoot out of even a heifer (even a holstein) . Calves didn't have a lot of value but that wasn't what we were looking for anyway.

THANKS A LOT FOLKS;
THE ADVICE IS GREAT. I HAD THOUGHT OF BREEDING THEM WITH AN ANGUS, DONT KNOW YET.
I GOT THESE HEFS AND THEY WERE NOT IN GOOD SHAPE, I'VE BEEN GETTING THEIR WEIGHT UP AND WORMING ,ETC.. I STAND AMAZED AT THESE CRITTERS, THEY ARE VERY CALM, THEY ARE CURIOUS AND COME RIGHT UP TO ME FOR ATTENTION. THEY WILL FOLLOW ME AROUND THE PASTURE, WHERE AS THE OTHER COWS JUST IGNORE ME. I FEEL KINDA LIKE JOHN WAYNE.
TO SEE THEM OUT STANDING ON A HILL AND THOSE HORNS IN CONTRAST TO THE SETTING SUN... MARVELOUS. THANK GOD I'M A COUNTRY BOY...
I WILL STUDY YOUR ADVICE AND PUT IT TO USE..... THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.

You can definitely breed them to an angus. I have a good friend that had a herd of angus and herd of longhorns, and would stick her low end longhorns with an angus bull. got some really nice calves from that cross. now she does the same thing, but has charolais instead of angus.

As far as the weights go, you can definitely find higher weights than what Bill spoke of. but he is correct on the breed "average" I would say my cows weigh in the 1200 - 1300 lb range with my two senior bulls both weighing over 2000 lbs, and my 12 mo old bulls being closer to 1000 lbs. And our animals are by no means the largest out there.

We breed ours to calve at 2 years old, plus or minus a little. We've had them calve as early as 19 months with no problems, and on some rare occasions we've held them to calve for the first time at 3 years old. Longhorns are a very fertile breed that can surprise you with a calf when you think there is no way she is bred, and keep calving until they're late in their teens or even early 20's

Ryan

poorfarm":jovysvhj said:
I HAVE RECENTLY GOTTEN SOME LONG HORN HEFS., NEVER HAD THIS KIND BEFORE.
THEY ARE AROUND 12-13 MO. OLD, SMALL FRAMED AROUND 600-650 LB.
DO YOU BREED BY WEIGHT OR AGE ON THEM. I HAVE NOTICED THEY ARE MOUNTING EACH OTHER.
LONG HORN BREEDERS GIVE ME ADVICE PLEASE.

Be careful what you breed them to for that first calf! If you're going to use anything other than another Longhorn bull, pay attention to calving ease and birth weight EPDs, especially if they're small for their age.

Latest posts