Breeding issue and question

Help Support CattleToday:

TXLONGHORNWW

Reaction score
Hi all and glad to find this forum...I only have a few longhorn cows and a bull but have a concern.

Cows are 6 and have had no birthing issues at all until 10 months ago...1 cow had stillbirth when amniotic sac didnt break during birth. As stated that was 10 months ago and that cow just bred yesterday.

I was thinking she was long since bred but now concerned as to why so long. Is this long period normal after a stillbirth situation?

Another cow just birthed last week...10 months after having last calf.

Also...is the failed amniotic sac a likely repeat condition?

10 months between calving is pretty tight, Don't see how you could expect better. The other one might need a boost in nutrition or mineral. Or just a trip to the sale barn.

5S Cattle said:
Think he is saying that he saw her get bred yesterday. So 8-9 months late

Exactly....the one who had issue didnt get bred until yesterday, which is about 8 months late.

Selling Longhorns over the scale is brutal...plus these cows are out of registered line and sired by excellent bull. Hate to give up on her unless this is obvious trouble.

Dang....just remembered this same cow pushed into my barn about 6 to 7 months ago and got entangled in 100 feet of cable I had hanging.....we had to dart her to get bolt cutters to cut her free.

She recovered fine but sure pulled her down for a while....maybe that with the failed birth combined caused this delay

She probably aborted from stress from getting caught in that cable. If you like her, take her to the vet and have him palpate her reproductive tract. Should tell you what you need to know.

A calf suffocating from the sac not breaking can be the cows fault - not getting up right away - not licking the head area right away - calf could have been born dead. Most of the time, the calf themselves break the sac with their front feet.
This does not mean it will ever happen again - or - it could.
Are you using a natural bull for breeding? Maybe you have a bull problem - not a cow problem???

One of the reasons I like to move them on if anything happens to their calf. They will often not breed back straight away like you hoped for to get an early calf.

Ken

Understood all and thanks....yes, it's a natural bull doing the breeding and its longhorn also. Very unusual for calving issue with them and last year was first problem I've had.

All breed back quick and even though just 3 cows...they've been 100 percent until last go round. My second cow is springing and should calve within the week I reckon....that will be 2 calving right at 10 month mark so not thinking its bull related.

The issue cow is looking healthy and strong so I'm going to let her hang thru this and see how it goes.

Obviously...im not relying on profit situation with 3 and I have a small acreage place. It helps cover cost of feed and maintenance and has some tax benefits....plus keeps me from having to shred all summer and I enjoy the longhorn yard art....so, I'm more motivated by having no issues and healthy cows than timeliness of calves. Seems the two go hand in hand though.

I'm feeding 20% cubes at 50 lbs a week plus keep protein tub going. After reading your info I put out some mineral which they have ignored so far....I will get salt block or two tomorrow.

if you have good mineral out.....forget the salt block....the mineral has salt in it and the block is not going to offer any additional benefit....cubes sound about right about 1.78 lbs per head per day for four head at 50 lbs per week as long as the bull is not getting it all.....lot of variation in what is in protein tubs besides protein and the quality of the protein...

Haha...the bull sure tries but I dump cubes into 8 piles spread out...as he pushes the girls off one pile they circle around to one he left behind.

Just had second calf...2 of the 3 cows calved at 10 month mark. Now to see how the one with troubles last year does, but have a long wait as she just bred. She's looking good and healthy so hopefully the break serves her well.

My plan is to pull the bull in few weeks. Will wait 4 to 5 months this time to give them a break this go round. Plus I have small place and some pasture relief from bull will help

The 'leapfrog/musical chairs' version of feeding cubes...you'd think they would figure out they would get more if they each stayed with one pile instead of all rushing over to the next or most recently pile poured out.

greybeard said:
The 'leapfrog/musical chairs' version of feeding cubes...you'd think they would figure out they would get more if they each stayed with one pile instead of all rushing over to the next or most recently pile poured out.

Well while I agree that cows are not dumb beasts....
I have yet to see one that was a reincarnation of Einstein...
they are more like democratic presidential candidates trying to get to a camera......
:cowboy:

Latest posts