Breeding bull to daughters

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I have bred father daughter before but never kept the resulting calf. thinking I am going to try again with my bull and his daughters. I have some very good looking 6V daughters and I think I will breed them back to him. Thoughts, opinions?

Too close for me, I've done it before using a clean up bull but never kept a heifer from the mating. I have done half brother and sister and grand sire to granddaughter and liked the result.

:2cents:

If the bull is really good and what you wanted in your herd AND (this is the biggest part) are willing to cull mercilessly I don't see why not.

I have done it as well, but have only kept the heifer IF she was a really good one, AND, only bred her back to another bull. Most of the other offspring I would sell them.

its not a moral issue its a practical issue..some of the guys round here don't even know which is which..whos momma is whose

dun":228a3vnm said:
If the bull is really good and what you wanted in your herd AND (this is the biggest part) are willing to cull mercilessly I don't see why not.

I agree- we do it and some of the cattle produced are the best of the herd- and others are great steaks/hamburger... Great way to develop a consistent phenotype/type of your herd...

LRTX1":1s2h0le5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1s2h0le5 said:
highgrit":1s2h0le5 said:
Why that TT?

I'm simply applying humanistic moral standards. I guess there's also the chance of magnifying any genetic defects breeding that way.

More so than a daughter/father?

One would think no difference .... I would think no difference.

Oldtimer":10nf1kzi said:
dun":10nf1kzi said:

I agree- we do it and some of the cattle produced are the best of the herd- and others are great steaks/hamburger... Great way to develop a consistent phenotype/type of your herd...

For either one of you or anyone else. How careful do you need to be to keep the same lines out of the pedigree and for how many generations? Bull X bred to his daughter and bred back to bull X's grandaughter, or stay away from that line for several generations?

LRTX1":21ay9j6t said:
TennesseeTuxedo":21ay9j6t said:
highgrit":21ay9j6t said:
Why that TT?

I'm simply applying humanistic moral standards. I guess there's also the chance of magnifying any genetic defects breeding that way.

More so than a daughter/father?

I'm just not a fan of any of it.

I thought breeding bull to daughters was definitely not a good idea. I am getting ready to sell my herd bull cause he will be breeding his daughters soon. That is what I have always done but I retain almost every heifer as well so I guess I did it right. I am going to follow this post and hope to gain a lot more responses to see everyone's opinion.

I can't reccomend it. I did it one time and none of the heifer calves that I had ever turned out to breed or raise calves. I know that's not always the case, and might have just been a coincidence, but I don't think it's a very good thing.

One thing it will do is show any genetic faults. Bak in the 70s there was a Holstein bull named Tradition. A great bull whose daughters were tremendous milk machines with good structure. For some reason there was a suspicion he had a genetic fault. They bred him to his daughters and most of the resulting calves were mule footed. He ended up at mcdonalds, thousands of unit of his semen went down the drain.

Alan":gpuzx4re said:
Oldtimer":gpuzx4re said:
dun":gpuzx4re said:

For either one of you or anyone else. How careful do you need to be to keep the same lines out of the pedigree and for how many generations? Bull X bred to his daughter and bred back to bull X's grandaughter, or stay away from that line for several generations?
I'll go x2 and that's about the line I draw.
3rd heifer gets bred to another bull. Their progeny tho I will breed back using the original sire.

I do NOT like breeding half brother to half sister and sure won't go full brother X full sister.
Did that with rabbits long ago and bad things happened.

dun":27ahyokf said:
One thing it will do is show any genetic faults. Back in the 70s there was a Holstein bull named Tradition. A great bull whose daughters were tremendous milk machines with good structure. For some reason there was a suspicion he had a genetic fault. They bred him to his daughters and most of the resulting calves were mule footed. He ended up at mcdonalds, thousands of unit of his semen went down the drain.
Miss Information
Sweet Haven Tradition was one of the 1st bulls tested Mulefoot Free. All of his semen sold out at $100 a straw.
Questions as to Mulefoot dogged him after his Dam produced a mulefoot calf. She was a double granddaughter of
the mule foot carrier bull Raven Burke Ideal. Tradition was then DNA tested for mulefoot and was proven clean.
But these stories about dumping semen and going to slaughter dog him even to this day.
Many Tradition sons entered A.I. lineups and none have ever been Mulefoot carriers.

Latest posts