Breeding back

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I wanting a fall calving herd. I have a couple nice cows that should calve in Jan. What can I do to get these cows to bred back asap . Hoping they can back up to some time in Nov/ Dec. It may take a couple yrs. for them to calve in Oct. Am I expecting to much from these girls ? thanks rj

I would think the biggest factor would be the physical condition of the cows. That is the main reason we have spring calves. Because when you have a year that you have to feed hay from early Nov. - March or April it just seems to be harder on the cows, having to nurse a calf through the winter. This year we shouldn't need to feed hay until after Christmas at least. But if you have the resources to keep them in good condition I would think they could gain a month each year with no problem.

It can be done easy enough if your using a bull just turn him in with them, if your A Iing sync them at 32 days and go from there. if you think they may need a jump start for the bull hold him out till about day 37 after calving give them a shot of Lute turn the bull in. I have got them bred back in 32 days but that's not the norm.

Insure that they are on a high plane of nutrition post calving and turn the bull in as soon as they calve. You may be surprised at how quickly some of them will breed back. We had 3 cows that claved in early May and as soon as they calved we turned them in with the bull, all but one settled within a month of calving.

The uterus needs to repair itself prior to hosting another fetus and the girl needs to cycle early. I would ensure body condition going into calving and then ensure she has adequate to plenty of protein in her diet during the first 30 to 40 days postpartum as tissue repair uses proteins as well as requiring additional energy. Until the uterus is repaired, they won't get pregnant and carry to term.

I would pull the calves off the girls and then keep them off for three days, when you want them to begin their cycle. The cow won't dry up and this will sometimes trigger a heat cycle. I second earlier lute comments.

AI or NS, use a calving ease sire with a lower birth weight. Our experience is calves out of calving ease sires tend to drop up to 10 days earlier. Calf is generally smaller and stresses the girl less.

If these are heifers or there are any issues with a difficult birth in January I wouldn't consider moving them back significantly next breeding.

I my try using lutes . Thanks for the idea . Wasnt sure lutes it would start a cycle after calving . Hope they breed back quickly. Good cows are expense and hard to find ,buying just one or two . thanks rj

Latest posts