breeding back

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
I have nine brood cows, some had calves in 11/06 and i am just now seeing the bull chase them, others had calves 12/06 and i haven't seen the bull chase them at all. Feeding decent hay, minerals are available to them. Is there something i'm missing as far as nutrition that is causing my cows to not come in heat regularly and sometimes cycle without becoming bred?

Txwalt":2wcbkdfa said:
Is their such a thing as a gay bull?

Walt

I suppose there could be, but I have yet to see one. I would be more inclined to think health/feeding/bull soundness issues.

Always hay available to them, feeding peanut, rye grass and bermuda/bahaia hay. Cows appear to be healthy. Bought a registered black angus bull in late 06, 2 years old, has not been performance tested but apears to be interested when cows are in heat. I also feed a corn/oats/hay feed that i mix minerals into, but not very often, just enough to keep them somewhat domesticated and following the bucket.

Txwalt":2c6zdl95 said:
Is their such a thing as a gay bull?

Walt

Indeed there is, as there are also gay rams. (I know of one bull tht wouldn't even look at a cow, even when they let another bull in with him. The other bull proceeded to serve several cows as the first bull wandered up and down the fence. When put in a yard with other bulls he had no problem trying to serve them.)

In Australia, scientists are researching methods of 'curing' gay rams. The research in volves injecting various hormones, both IM and into sertain parts of the brain, as well as studying genetic similarities. This has caused quite an uproar in the gay rights community, many believing that curing rams of homosexual behaviour is only the beginning... they believe humans will be next.

If the only mineral they are getting is the "not very often" - than they may definately be lacking in minerals.
Minerals should be available free choice 24/7
Do you know how to Body Condition Score your cows?
Here's a link to check out: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/photos1-9.html
And just because a bull in "interested" does not mean he is settling cows. I would be having him checked. Have your vet do a BSE (breeding soundness exam)

Latest posts