Breeding back problems

Help Support CattleToday:

countrygal12

Reaction score
We just sold some calves and 2 of the cows are just now coming back into heat, we are talking the calves were 6mos. old when sold so these cows should have been bred 3-4 months ago. Is this a cow issue or bull issue? Is it possible they need some type of vitamins or supplements. the bull is about 9 years old and has never been aggressive when the cows come in heat, however, he has bred them so we don't understand what is going on. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

It could be any number of things... the bull is getting a bit old.. Perhaps he has no libido? perhaps he has a penile or other injury?

I did have problems with my best performing cows not breeding back, I got a mineral test done on the blood of one such cow, it turns out she was really low in copper, phosphorus, and Selenium, and since I've been giving loose salt things have been better... Mineral supplementation is a local thing, what works here may not work wherever it is you are.
Try talking to your vet and see if he knows the most common mineral deficiencies in your area...

good luck, and welcome :)

My money is on the cows as the problem. Coming on heat just after taking the calves off and you have noticed it suggests to me they haven't been cycling previously. What sort of condition are they in? If the cows were OK they would be cycling every 3 weeks and you would surely have noticed it if you had regular contact with them and the bull was in. I am not good at keeping records but I have a diary and whenever I see a cow with the bull I record it, I seldom miss one and after I have their number taken once I am ready in 3 weeks when they are due again. I can pick up very early if I have a problem and it is simple and enjoyable to be on top of things.
Ken
Ken

We have sulphur,salt and trace mineral blocks out all of the time. So how do we check his libido? Never had this problem before in 20 years of raising cattle,grrrrrrrrrr.

Some of the cows are not in the best condition, not sure why as they have plenty of green grass and hay but some are down pretty good.

My first thoughts would be body condition for the opens. If the bull has settled others in that timeframe I would pretty much eliminate him as the cause. Cows not being able to process feed well enough, (age/teeth/too heavy a milker) to feed a calf and still breed back would send them down the road.

My first thoughts from your first post was nutrition or disease. I will guess nutrition. Start with a quality loose mineral. If you are using those $6 trace blocks, you have wasted every penny.
CSM

Sounds like your cows were to run down but if Your cows aren't getting what they need then I doubt the bull is either so you're compounding the problem. If you're insistent on keeping that set of cows I'd check their teeth, get them on loose mineral, and do a BSE on the bull and while the vet is there for the bull pic their brain.

I agree with CSM.. block salt doesn't do much for deficiencies.. especially if they're calcium or phosphorus deficiencies...

The blocks are intended to be 'safe' to be used anywhere.. in other words they don't have a whole lot of anything.
I found out I need a mineral with the maximum legal allowable Selenium in it.. I need it to have twice as much phosphorus as calcium (most people here thought I had that backwards).. and I need at least 2500mg/kg of copper as well.

If the cows aren't in decent condition, perhaps they need to be wormed as well

I agree with what has been said. Check the teeth, worm them, get better minerals, have a vet check the bull and the cows too. You may also consider getting them a protein tub maybe the hay or grass you had them on wasn't very good. If there is nothing wrong may just be slow breeders and need to go to the sale barn. How many cows do you have with the 9 year old bull? If you had to many cows cycle with just one bull, and he is not an aggressive breeder he may have missed them.

There is one more question to be asked: Do you have two cows and both are open (then it is either management or a bull issue) or do you have these two open cows and 37 pregnant cows? Then it is a cow issue.

Latest posts