Breed Forum Cliche - "But we've made a lot of progress&

Help Support CattleToday:

Third Row

Reaction score
Is it just me or is there an actual law I don't know about that says somebody has to drop in and say "but we've made a lot of progress on that" any time one of the faults of a breed is pointed out?

In most cases, it is true. The knock on Angus 25 years ago was that they were short and dumpy little cows and lacked the post weaning growth of other breeds. Today's Angus cow is typically BIGGER than most continental breed cows and their post weaning gains are impressive by any standard. The knock on Simmentals 25 years ago is that they had spots and horns, the cows were too big, and the bulls sired too big calves that had to be pulled. Now 5 frame, solid, usually black, polled, Simmentals with much lower birth weights are common. Gelbviehs went from 1550 pound 8 frame orange cows to being the most efficient mama cows in the last round at the MARC. The breeds are ALWAYS changing.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Gert cows used to be large boned and heavily muscled, and now a great percentage of them resemble a dairy body type now. ..less muscle, fine boned....ugh :(

If any breed is/was without any problems that's what most people would be raising. If progress can;t be made to decrease problems what's the point in having that breed?

Every breed has strengths and weaknesses.

It's the defensive nature of people when those issues are brought up that I'm talking about.

Northern Rancher":d6plgrql said:
Yes we have made alot of progress turning Angus into Simmentals and vice versa.

Exactly, we used to cross Angus cows with Simmie bulls to get growth and frame in the calf crop. Now there is a multitude of Angus sires who can do that and most Angus cow herds have plenty of growth to begin with. We used to cross Angus too Simms to knock the horns off, to make the calf crop black, and make the heifer crop smaller framed easy keepers. Now the Simms have all that. As rapidly as a breed can change these days, it is hard too make generalizations about any breed.

Brandonm2":qoxfjwo3 said:
As rapidly as a breed can change these days, it is hard too make generalizations about any breed.

Change is not always good. I say that based on climate. Gerts, Beefmasters and others were specifically developed for my climate. You just can't beat any cattle that have a little ear, for this climate. If I lived elsewhere, I might follow the trends. Some try those new trends for this area. No harm in trying.

Third Row":17em05mj said:
Is it just me or is there an actual law I don't know about that says somebody has to drop in and say "but we've made a lot of progress on that" any time one of the faults of a breed is pointed out?
I dont think it's a real big deal if a certain breed has it's faults to try and clean em up. but alot of times they will add a bad one, while cleaning up the other

ALACOWMAN":11ytimyg said:
Third Row":11ytimyg said:
I dont think it's a real big deal if a certain breed has it's faults to try and clean em up. but alot of times they will add a bad one, while cleaning up the other

Exactly. That is part of genetics.

Lowering BW is antagonistic to higher WW's, etc. etc. etc.

And if everyone uses exact moderation, nothing will ever change.

When I started with the Herefords, cancer eye and bad udders were a couple of their stongest traits, some still believe that. Makes me wonder what breeders have been doing for the last 60/70 years. Culling the bad ones must be a fairly new idea?

what about the developer's of composite breeds. they work for years to produce the perfect animal for their enviroment. take the beefmaster they aint without their faults and yet lasater culled like hell to get the product he wanted . the kingranch have been working on the gerts shortcomings the past few years too

ALACOWMAN":10ylb46q said:
take the beefmaster they aint without their faults and yet lasater culled like be nice to get the product he wanted .

But when you get a good one, you got something that can thrive in this heat. Just cull the bad ones and keep going. Brangus are my favorite.

backhoeboogie":23zlfizh said:
ALACOWMAN":23zlfizh said:
take the beefmaster they aint without their faults and yet lasater culled like be nice to get the product he wanted .

But when you get a good one, you got something that can thrive in this heat. Just cull the bad ones and keep going.
  • Brangus are my favorite.[/
[/list]quote] im like'in em myself.. half of my herd is brangus cross now and grow'in into a all brangus herd slowly

Latest posts