Bred Cow Market

Help Support CattleToday:

I was at a bred cow sale 10 days ago. About 25 bidding numbers were out and prices dropped fast after the first several groups of fancy blacks. I got excited then and picked through them to buy a trailer load of solid mouthed mostly rwf cows. Then prices dropped a little more and they started to sell by the pound...

Those girls did not realize how close they were to the slaughter plant :eek:

The sale I'm talking about was the 22nd. I sold some black heifers. I was lucky they sold early. Most of the cows then were weighed and went to Long Prairie. What? .35 to .40 per pound.
REALLY! good time to put in some good cows.

Long Prairie is still operating? How many head are they slaughtering a day? I thought they had shut down years back when CDN cows quit coming over the border. :cowboy:

Aaron":3ky5u3kg said:
Long Prairie is still operating? How many head are they slaughtering a day? I thought they had shut down years back when CDN cows quit coming over the border. :cowboy:

Long Praire is running OT and has cows "stock" piled in every local auction barn.

I sent a load of feeders to Iowa last year and the trucker said his standard route was to haul hogs from southern MN down into Iowa or Missouri, then back haul kill cows to Long Praire.

Aaron":13g5s7ry said:

I knew they were small. Don't know the details so I googled. With 12 employees and annual sales of $1,000,000. they must not need to go to far to meet their demand these days.

mnmtranching":u28tf78t said:
Aaron":u28tf78t said:

I knew they were small. Don't know the details so I googled. With 12 employees and annual sales of $1,000,000. they must not need to go to far to meet their demand these days.

That's great to hear. LP was always a good avenue for our culls up here and it was sad to see them hurting during the BSE years. :cowboy:

A month ago when I was looking to buy bred heifers, nobody wanted to sell what they had!

IGotMyWings":p87k2r3w said:
A month ago when I was looking to buy bred heifers, nobody wanted to sell what they had!

There's a huge difference between the demand for bred cows and bred heifers. For some - unkown to me - the bred heifer market is still good, but the bred cow market is tanked. Give me a three or four year old cow who's calved all day long over a bred heifer. Now's the time to buy!

cypressfarms":1uefbij1 said:
IGotMyWings":1uefbij1 said:

There's a huge difference between the demand for bred cows and bred heifers. For some - unkown to me - the bred heifer market is still good, but the bred cow market is tanked. Give me a three or four year old cow who's calved all day long over a bred heifer. Now's the time to buy!

I was calling locals seeing what I could get, and around here, nobody was selling bred heifers or cows. I got on Cragislist and found some for sale about 35 miles away, and that's where I went. I guess in country terms, 35 miles is right around the corner, huh? When you have to go 11 miles for toilet paper, 35 ain't really that far for cows!