Braunvieh on rfd

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
Dis anyone else see this on rfd last night? I really likes the looks of the momma cows, but the bulls didn't do much for me. Most looked a little light in the hind end. Boone

I slept thru it. :oops:

Was it the same one they show every six months or so? One of the main speakers reminds me of the Quaker oatmeal guy, "...because it's the right thing to do..." :lol:

The pb braunvieh cows I've seen were nice looking animals, but the angus crosses didn't trip my trigger. Also seemed like the cross made them hot, as well as threw a few brindles in the mix, in the ones I've seen.

cfpinz

DepthCharge1.jpg

no thin butted braunviehs on my place.

ROB

I agree with ROB no thin butted Braunvieh here either. Most of the Braunvieh that have seen or owned tended to be better in the hind end than most other breeds. The bulls crossed with anything seemed to improve the butt, especially on a thin butted angus. :lol:

wlw

we used a half braunvieh, half charolais bull on our colored cows for quite a few years. threw real nice calves.

la4angus- maybe I ought to post a picture of our strategy bull. now theres a funnel butt! IMO of the cattle ive seen in our area...which are predominately black and of a particular breed, i would consider the majority of those to be lacking in the hind quarter department. our braunvieh x angus cross calves wean off the cow an average 30 lbs. heavier than our angus fullbloods, and the fullblood braunviehs wean off 40-50 lbs. heavier than the angus. frame size of all the calves is pretty consistent...the difference is in their thickness from their hindquarters and along their topline. also seem to have more depth of rib.

ROB

My Dad and I watched the show, it really got our intrest in the bread up. I have been doing some research on the 'net on them. I'm looking for a list of Breeders and Ranches/Farms that have Braunviehs in or around Western Kentucky.

Thanks

Greg Phillips
Phillips Farms

Gphillips- you might want to check out ridgefield farms. i think they are located in western north carolina. steve whitmere is the owner. they handle some pretty good genetics and offer a calf buy-back program of progeny from their bulls. they offer premiums somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 / 100 wt. over current market price for like weight calves at your local sale barn. their website is http://www.ridgefieldfarm.net

ROB

Gphillips":3770wobe said:
My Dad and I watched the show, it really got our intrest in the bread up. I have been doing some research on the 'net on them. I'm looking for a list of Breeders and Ranches/Farms that have Braunviehs in or around Western Kentucky.

Thanks

Greg Phillips
Phillips Farms
Indian Mound Farm, Sterling, KY 859-498-6296 -- R&D Farms, Franklin, Ky. 270-598-9848 -- J.T. Workman Jr. Farms, Clinton, Ky. 270- 653- 6937.

DOC HARRIS":3i4d0d1k said:
Was it the same one they show every six months or so?
No. This was a differently produced program, and different ranches were presented. It was well done, and smoothly presented.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks DOC. That's what I get for falling asleep early, will try to stay up and catch the rerun Sunday night.

cfpinz

I saw this and truthfully thought the momma cows were pretty nice looking. They reminded me of a brown swiss. We had a brown swiss that we crossed with a hereford. It was one of the best eating animals we EVER had. The steaks could litterally be cut with a fork. Whenever we have discussions of the best steaks this is always the benchmark calf. Now I am not sure that it was the cross or the fact we gave him the extra milk until he was about 800lbs. Using a braunveih sire on an angus cow looks like it might produce a tremendous F1 heifer. IMO

George Monk":5h7cgezq said:
They reminded me of a brown swiss.

they should; brown swiss were developed from braunvieh.

Latest posts