Braunvieh Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

wish i had some.

i've seen 'em at a few stock shows and they look like pretty good animals. moderate frame, wide, lots of meat, and lots of milk. they came from the same herd as the brown swiss, and they still have a lot of milk. I sure like to have a few.
thats about all i know about them.

Ryan

A good friend got into them about 5 years ago on the advice of a friend that told him he could get more $$ at the barns for the calves. He's got some nice cows still, but it was a train wreck when he bought a high priced Branveih bull. Pulled calves for EVER. Finally found the right cross with a Maine bull. He's an absentee owner, so having cows that couldn't calve by themselves was an incredible expense for him. They seem to be relatively heat tolerant also, and the ones he still has hold their weight well.

Bulllady, why doesnt he put a brahman bull on them?
those f-1s bring pretty good $$ dont they.

Nathan

I too am interested in Braunvieh, and plan to buy a pair to start with. I would talk to a reputable breeder about them, call them up. I was told there are some lines that will cause calving problems especially in heifers, but there are others that are easy calving.

Spend a lot of time with the herds you plan on buying from. You might also want to see if they take a dock at the salebarn. They do in this area.

dun

TheBullLady":1tnva44o said:
A good friend got into them about 5 years ago on the advice of a friend that told him he could get more $$ at the barns for the calves. He's got some nice cows still, but it was a train wreck when he bought a high priced Branveih bull. Pulled calves for EVER. Finally found the right cross with a Maine bull. He's an absentee owner, so having cows that couldn't calve by themselves was an incredible expense for him. They seem to be relatively heat tolerant also, and the ones he still has hold their weight well.

Can't help myself - he had calving troubles, so he went with a Maine bull...that's a good one. :lol:

Nathan":2coxt7s3 said:
Dun, Why do they get docked in your area??

Don;t know for sure and neither do the breeders around here. The oof colored muzzle is a tip off that they're probably Braunvieh, Brown Swiss, or a Jersey cross. But it may be a case of they're docked because they can be. Not enough interest in them. They're also sold in smaller lots so it's harder to make up a pot load of similar cattle. The two herds here have had to start marketing them other then through the standard sale barns.

I you'ld like I'll tell you in a pm what I think of them after working with them for a while. It would sound too much like breed bashing to some people. We looked into them about 5 years ago, after 6 months we di\ecided they weren;t for us

dun

Latest posts