Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
Well I did it. I now own 4 Brangus heifers. 14 to 16 months old. Now I am in a panic. What to do first. They are to be delivered in 2 weeks. I am checking the fences first. Wow, very exciting and very scary.

melking":22vfelav said:
Well I did it. I now own 4 Brangus heifers. 14 to 16 months old. Now I am in a panic. What to do first. They are to be delivered in 2 weeks. I am checking the fences first. Wow, very exciting and very scary.
congratulations,, why panic...

because I know exactly 2 things about cattle, both of which I have learned here in the last several days. I read these posts and I think how much I do not know...

theres only a few things you need to know right now.make sure your fences are good.an that you have a good pen to hold them for a few days till they calm down.an feed them some grain every day or so to get emm used to you.

alacattleman":28jk2rtb said:
melking":28jk2rtb said:
congratulations,, why panic...

:p Brangus huh.... :D New blood....panic may just what is needed.....I've got a story that you need to take to heart. I worked a group of 35 Saturday. Took me over 5 hours to run them thru because of one that wanted to grind me into the ground. Did another group of 35 this morning in an hour and a half. Even if they are nice and calm now and before they calve, watch em after and don't ever let your guard down. That first calf can change their attitude quick.

The one Saturday.......young cow, second calf is 3 months old. Caught me off guard as I was keeping eyes on a different one. Knocked my club out of my hand so all I could do is ride her head a bit till she turned, got my club back but before I could do anything she was giving me my second ride. Third time :devil2: I was ready with a well place whack across the face just below the eye, but she won the battle. Couldn't get back in the pen and couldn't get her to leave without her calf and her calf was clueless. No matter which gate I tried she was front and center. Finally was able to slip all the other cattle out to another holding pen and then let her go on her way.

Story is meant to give you something to ponder on. Lots of cattle may seem "wild" when penned. Most are looking for a hole or a place to make one to get away from you. The one's that charge you are the ones that are going to hurt you and you don't know which one it may be to late.

Now, go and enjoy your livestock and remember....

nothing can teach you how cattle should be handled, more than the brahman or brahman influenced.... they can teach you all the basic's in a brief synopsis :cowboy:

alacattleman":1u1e2uyp said:
nothing can teach you how cattle should be handled, more than the brahman or brahman influenced.... they can teach you all the basic's in a brief synopsis :cowboy:

Yep.

alacattleman":6go0kr01 said:

You are right about the "synopsis" comment! Here is a sequel to that 'object lesson': you must have eyes in the back of your head, and Olympic Runner's legs to survive for any time at all! NEVER let your guard down!

DOC HARRIS

melking":1kd81cmm said:

True...act with caution...in the meantime if you now your fence is good, you have adequate grazing and plenty of water. Turn them out and leave them alone for a few days other than to just allow them to see you working around the house or admiring them. Let them get curious and come to you...then as always "act with caution".

I have learned my lesson when it comes to assuming attitude in a cattle breed I know nothing about so I won't comment on that. I will say that you have been given good advice. I agree with bb338 that you should spend time out among them so that they get used to you, but it is important that, until they get used to you, you kinda just hang in the background a couple days(as has been said too), don't do something they makes them feel threatened. They will be scared for a bit, and if they go through a fence, the easiest (maybe the only) way to catch them is a bullet, so you will want to avoid that. Hopefully before they come to you they will have updated shots and wormer. Maybe you could help with that.

I am also wondering if, because of their age, they will come to you having been exposed to a bull, or is it up to you to start thinking about that?

Good that you started with a small number and for having made sure your facilities are ready for them.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

bigbull338":16klds7y said:
i hate to say it but them firecrackers are what got a buddy of mine into beefmasters.

I hate to say it but my experience with brangus and beefmasters are what made me stay in the Santa business ;-)

edit: sorry, it was just overwhemingly funny to me that bigbull said that he hated to say it but....

bigbulls suggestion is excellent. Didn't you see how quiet they were or did you buy then unseen? Brahman infused cattle respond very well to kindness and patience. From what I see in the US. You people have a lot less Brahman content than we do, so it must be the Angus domination. Post some pictures when you get them.

maybe I misinterpreted his comments. I took it that the Brangus cattle "firecrackers" (meaning too unruly) got him into Beefmasters (more docile). I didn't take it as "firecracker" (good cattle because of the Brahman influence) got him into Beefmasters but after reading it again I understand what he means I think and I agree. American breeds are firecrackers.

I am running several dozen brangus with no problems. Gone one with out the brahman part and she's got the worst attitude in the pasture. Go figure.

i know when i work my beefmasters i work them slow an easy.most of the time they are so gentle you have to push them where you want emm to go.

Thanks everyone. They have not been covered yet, man i got them from is loaning me a bull. He said at about 20 months? Since I have never had any kind of animals, I am going to be real careful around them. I have 20 acres, not much of it is good pasture so I am going to have to supplement the feed. They are used to being grain fed every morning but I wonder if I have to continue to do that or just as a treat along with the hay?

melking":1xl5xt9m said:
Thanks everyone. They have not been covered yet, man i got them from is loaning me a bull. He said at about 20 months? Since I have never had any kind of animals, I am going to be real careful around them. I have 20 acres, not much of it is good pasture so I am going to have to supplement the feed. They are used to being grain fed every morning but I wonder if I have to continue to do that or just as a treat along with the hay?
after awhile id knock em off,,, just like you say every now and then,, the last thing you want is em looking for a handout and up under you all the time ..make em do on their own, for awhile till after calving keep a real close eye on the condition dont let them fall off or youll have trouble getting them bred back...... be sure to keep plenty of good minerals out
:cowboy:

Latest posts