brangus ?

Help Support CattleToday:

DPANTOJA

Reaction score
I want to buy a Brangus bull that is 18 months for $850.00. The father is a register bull around 2,000 pounds and the mom is register around 1,000 pounds. The question that I have is that he is 18 months at around 650 pounds and is shorter than the mom. Is there a good chance that he has a lot to grow until he is two year old?

If he only weighs 650 lbs at 18 months old, you sure don't want him, he should be over 1400 lbs by that age.

Maybe you didnt state this correctly.

I agree with Holland. The mom's low weight is not a good sign. If you are paying for paper ("registered"), you ought to be getting quality. A 1000 lb cow is awfully small for a registered Brangus. If he is 18 months, he is a half pint.

He has a nice wide neck and the head is looking like the dads. The scrotal is hanging down like they should. He is just maybe to short and maybe he is 750 pounds. The mom is more than 1,000 pounds I just don't know how to calculate the weight

DPANTOJA":dxmjcmcz said:
The mom is more than 1,000 pounds I just don't know how to calculate the weight

It is pretty hard to give advice on something without knowing or looking at the animal close. That is not a bad price for a registered bull, but price truly means little to me on this issue. I want a good bull and it doesn't need to be papered.

I would think he ought to be atleast the size of his mom.

My bull is Brangus and I like him. Heifers have calved out of him with no problem. He was indeed a slow grower in comparison to other breeds and his calves have low birthweight. He is not registered but he was much bigger than what you are describing. I owned the cow he came out of and have had him his entire life.

If you are asking about Brangus in general, they do good in southern climates, based on my personal experience.

If you are looking for a bull, I think I would personally look elsewhere.

You could perhaps find someone who is unbiased and have them look at that bull. Personally, I'd have to see it to give you my opinion, which is only that, an opinion.

Somthing is wrong with that bull. Don't buy him. You herd bull is one half of your calf crop. Spend twice the money and buy 4 times the bull. At 18 months he should be at least 1500 pounds. At a body condition 7 he should be 1800 pounds.
Do yourself a faver and buy a good bull. You can get one that is tested for $1500 to $2000 and have a very nice bull.

Thanks for the comments. I was looking at the dad and the mom and I was trying to justify his size.

Seems like you found out why he is going for 850 bucks!

As stated, a picture would help alot. Some of these folks
can guesstimate the weight pretty close from a pic, and it would help you in the future.

As one of the wise men of this forum is fond of saying, "time to move on."

I would truly check the facts on this bull. I've got a longhorn bull, age 14 mo.s at close to 1,000 lbs. It may be that the age or weight was mis-stated.

Latest posts