Brangus temperamant

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't had any issues with her charging me she's just flighty around me if I get too close, I penned her easily I just poured cubes in a feed bunk in the pen and opened the gate and she was one of the first ones in the pen so I closed it off for less sorting of my other ones. I have two that are less flighty then she is but I've had them for about a year. Everything else I have I would say is either a temper score 1 or 2.

Cows sometimes just don't like new places or new people. I have had cows gentle as could be but you take them to the vet and they go crazy. We had a cow who was crazy as could be she would charge the 4wheeler but she was a great momma. We kept her until she was old put up a good fight in the pens when we loaded her and gave the cowboys at the sale barn some fun.

Heifers sometimes act a little flighty and calm down as they get older. The sure enough loco ones usually never change though. Got a Brangus now that's 14 and would have been sold already but she seems to be able to clear the pen every time a trailer pulls up. She wouldn't get you unless she didn't have a way out and I don't see her for at least week when she calves. Never needed any help though.

There is a long list of excuses you can make for bad tempered cows. Just like you can excuse just about any other poor trait. So why select against anything? Just keep all the bad ones and hope they'll improve, or their problems won't affect future generations, right?

Reality is she has a much higher chance of being crazy forever than the good tempered ones. And why have to deal with it? Why have to worry? And why spread the genetics of an animal who obviously has some crazy in her?

Disposition is the trait of highest interest to me, since the other traits don't matter much if you're busted up or dead.

Not to mention less flighty animals are easier keepers and better gainers on feed, and get sick less as they react less to stress. And the stress response results in release of cortisone which suppresses immunity.

Why do people think that a cow will pass on her bad temperament to her calves. The cow I was talking about above was one of the craziest I have ever been around, but we kept some of her heifers and not a single one was crazy. I have a cow and she is gentle as could be and most her calves are too but her last heifer was a bit nutty always high headed. I seen it to many times go either way to believe it is genetics.

Waco I have seen it go both ways also. I think a lot of it can be the environment they were in, how they were treated, how much they saw people, the critters that they had to fight off, ect.
Often times I will pen up a bull or heifer to halter break them. They can start off wilder than a March hare. But once I start feeding and handling them, especially brushing them, they settle right down. They might be out of my gentlest momma cows, or the more skittish ones, either way. But I spend the time with them. Not everyone wants to do that.

wacocowboy":1e8f9umb said:
Why do people think that a cow will pass on her bad temperament to her calves.
Because it's a heritable trait. Just like mental illness, and I.Q.
Of course anecdotal evidence over rules all the facts djinwa correctly pointed out. :)

I'd suggest that you learn from my mistakes and cash in now. But your probably like me and will take the chance on her, so good luck and be calm and careful around her.

I raised almost every cow I have, but I went to a sale in the fall of 2008 and bought a pen of 5 short-bred heifers and a pen of 5 short yearlings, all Brangus. They've never offered to fight, but they're definitely more nervous than the cows I raised. You'd think they would have settled down by now to be indistinguishable from the other cows, but that hasn't been the case. They aren't bad, but they will be the last ones to go in the pen, and the first ones to move away from me when I walk up to them in the pasture.

The heifers that I've kept from them, on the other hand, aren't any different from any of the others.

I used a bull, on one place for 10 or 11 calf crops. About 1/3 of the calves would not allow you in the catching pen with them. Most impressive weaning weights I ever had. Even at that, I let it go longer than I should have, once I realized where the problem was.

If you have people hooting and hollering when they help you, brangus are probably not the cows you want.

If you like to have cattle drives and drive cattle, brangus are probably not for you.

My brangus herd will follow me anywhere. We change pastures about once a month in the spring, summer, and fall. They go thru the lane every time. I yell "COME ON" and you'd best not be in the way. Stampede is coming. I can pen them in the lane and cut new calves out into the pen, tag, band, and do anything else that needs doing.

The whole herd gets worked and wormed twice a year.

No running is allowed by the grandkids. No jumping off of the truck or fences either. Lead 'em with a bucket, call them, handle them in the chute and/or medina. No problem.

They raise good calves. They're fertile. They work great in this climate. Calve about every 11 months.

I like 'em. If I get an occasional hard head or if I get one that doesn't calve to suit me, she gets culled.

Not much out there I want to cull at the moment. If Ingram Sand and Gravel buy me out, about 20 will hit the market. Good ones. I'm looking for another place now. Would like to disburse land in 3 counties and get all my eggs in a tighter basket. I am to spread out.

The heifers that we raise are always the calmest. They wont mess with you in the corral or out in the pasture or even when you are working their calf right in front of them. I like that in a cow. You can tell when a cow has her calf and you work it how they were probably treated when they were younger. They either trust humans or they don't. Then you have the ones that just go stonewall crazy when you try to work their calf then they act like nothing is wrong 2 days later. Sometimes I wonder why we keep those around. It worries me every time my dad says we have a new calf and hes already worked it how the momma cow acted when he did. I tell him to wait until i get home before he works them but he usually doesn't. A lot of the time when you buy a crazy cow or heifer they will normally calm down once they get mixed in with the herd but they sometimes dont so you just have to take and chance and see and if they don't well bye bye lol. That's how I feel. I don't want a cow that goes crazy out in the field when I try to work their calf.

backhoeboogie":2v7i7o06 said:
If you have people hooting and hollering when they help you, brangus are probably not the cows you want.

If you like to have cattle drives and drive cattle, brangus are probably not for you.

My brangus herd will follow me anywhere. We change pastures about once a month in the spring, summer, and fall. They go thru the lane every time. I yell "COME ON" and you'd best not be in the way. Stampede is coming. I can pen them in the lane and cut new calves out into the pen, tag, band, and do anything else that needs doing.

The whole herd gets worked and wormed twice a year.

No running is allowed by the grandkids. No jumping off of the truck or fences either. Lead 'em with a bucket, call them, handle them in the chute and/or medina. No problem.

They raise good calves. They're fertile. They work great in this climate. Calve about every 11 months.

I like 'em. If I get an occasional hard head or if I get one that doesn't calve to suit me, she gets culled.

Not much out there I want to cull at the moment. If Ingram Sand and Gravel buy me out, about 20 will hit the market. Good ones. I'm looking for another place now. Would like to disburse land in 3 counties and get all my eggs in a tighter basket. I am to spread out.

Brangus don't do real well with play cowboys.
They can get in there with the best of the Tigers.
For 21 years my old lead cow was a Brangus follow me anywhere.
First two days after she had a calf I could walk up and look just don't touch.
Stranger better stay way back if you heard that low deep growl that was your first, last and only warning.

Brute 23":1m6czhh5 said:
I hate taking animals to vets. They are notorious for playing "cowboy". You get a vet, a young helper, a couple spectators in line and you got a mess.

I with you on that have seen some train wrecks.
I think a Brangus is worse on standing their ground when worked up
than the Tiger. Takes a little more to get them there but not much.
Gert's are right there with them as well.
Brimmers are smart thy know who owns them.
When I get ready to pen I don't want anyone within eyesight or smelling distance.
I can pen everyone with a bag of cubes they see a stranger they would starve to death
before coming up.

yeah CB brimmers are so smart that you better work them easy and get everything you want done to them.because if you dont get it done you wont catch them for a week or 2.i know this because my beefmasters are kinda like that.those that are feed hounds you can catch just about anytime.

I've had cattle run out of the pens because you could hear a cattle trailer rattling in the distance on a CR or neighbors. :lol:

Usually I go and pen the cattle one day. Make sure I have what I want to haul before messing with any trailers or make any plans. Then if there is time left I will get the trailer and haul. If not, leave them until the next day or two. They seem to actually calm down and be easier to handle the next day. I am having REALLY good luck with the Bud Gate and Brimmer influenced cattle.

brute i wont allow a cattle trailer on the place for that reason.if they see a trailer anywhere you wont pen them at all.so i want them penned and sorted before the truck gets here.

Latest posts