Brangus EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

mjrogers

Reaction score
Okay... I'm new to EPD's and I'm trying to wrap my head around them. I'm looking at purchasing a Brangus bull and want to make the right choice so I need some assistance in understanding EPD's. I understand for instance if Bull A has a BW of -0.9 and bull B has a BW of -3.5, then Bull A will have a higher BW calf. What I can't seem to understand is what is the baseline that the EPD's are being compared to???
What I mean by baseline is for example: All brangus have an average BW of 70 lbs, so a bull with a BW of -0.9 would have calves on average around 69.1 lbs? I just don't understand what advantage having a BW EPD, if theres no standard comparison like the example I gave of 70 lbs. If I knew all bulls were being compared to "70 lbs" birth weight calves, then I could determine what size calves I felt that my cattle could handle and then in turn determine what BW bull I would need. I know this isn't a factory and there will be fluctuations in BW, but I again am confused about no standard for comparison

It doesnt work like that, you dont subtract or add from the averages. A number is given based on the breed averages and then based on performance data and ratios the epds are adjusted. In brangus anything under a 1.5-2 I would consider lbw bulls. Also, you must realise that epd's are just a tool, something to also keep in mind is the bulls actual birth weight. If you are in Kansas, Vern Suhn would be a great breeder to give a call. Very honest man, and has a great program. Also, thanks for having interest in Brangus!

Thanks, Appreciate the advise. I'm actually going to try to purchase a bull from Suhn's sale on the 23rd.

Vern's bull sales are among the very top in the breed. Personally I really like Vern's 416 and 331 cow families. I would advise telling him what you are looking for and he will get you lined out.

Latest posts