Brangus bull semen choices (Videos)

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you wbvs and cowboy. #2 "Texas star" is my favorite also. "He is puppy dog gentle." One thing that is important to me, since I like to halter break all my calves. :D
Also, I want replacement females and their EPD's are top notch for Maternal qualities.

I like them both, but I would go with the 2nd bull. He looks correct and has good length. He is muscled well, but still looks like he could go out and get the job done, meaning he doesn't look overdone to me.

Thank you all. I appreciate the extra eyes to see what I might be missing.
Will consider any and all suggestions on alternative bulls also. (If you have any in mind.) :D

branguscowgirl":2m3tz464 said:
Thank you all. I appreciate the extra eyes to see what I might be missing.
Will consider any and all suggestions on alternative bulls also. (If you have any in mind.) :D

BCG, have you talked with Trey at AMS about these bulls...He has been in the cattle business for a long time and the Brangus business for 25+ years. My wife used to work with him right out of college in the mid 80's. Both of these bull are on his site.

http://www.amscattle.com/

branguscowgirl":1iixxs2t said:
Thank you wbvs and cowboy. #2 "Texas star" is my favorite also. "He is puppy dog gentle." One thing that is important to me, since I like to halter break all my calves. :D
Also, I want replacement females and their EPD's are top notch for Maternal qualities.
Already gave you my choice. The sire of the Texas Star's mother. Better than either of these bulls. Csonka of Brinks.

The distinction bull is suposed to be really moderate, cleaner made and super quiet so you might want to look there before you spend to much money. ;-) If I wasn't already having a problem with to much milk in my cows you wouldn't be able to buy a straw of him from me. :lol:
But if it's between these two bulls I like #2.

cow pollinater":lffymsj1 said:
The distinction bull is suposed to be really moderate, cleaner made and super quiet so you might want to look there before you spend to much money. ;-) If I wasn't already having a problem with to much milk in my cows you wouldn't be able to buy a straw of him from me. :lol:
But if it's between these two bulls I like #2.
:lol: CP I AM using the Distinction bull on her. I am flushing her twice. The Distinction bull is the first flush. Just looking for one other for the second flush. Some of my other cows are being bred to Hombre BTW. ;-)

Ok Insurman and TB. I spoke with AMS but Trey was not in so I talked with Richard. He recommended a bull called Stonewall. Interesting because Stonewalls sire is also TBs pick Csonka of Brinks!!
Now to find semen on Csonka.........
Thanks everyone! And a special thanks to CP! ;-)

Thanks everyone for the opinions!
I found some semen on Csonka, but the guys at Genetrust said "on my larger cows the calves would get REALLY big." He said that he is high performance with a lot of "baggage". He would not "moderate frames."
I like how these guys seem to be pretty honest about what they are seeing in the offspring. They all seem to have spent some time looking at these bulls and their get in person. Nice!

BCG, can you please let us know which bull you end up using? I am shopping for next year's sire(s) for my brangus girls.

FWIW, I really like the second bull. He's wide and square on his feet.

lovehammer":153xq5f3 said:
BCG, can you please let us know which bull you end up using? I am shopping for next year's sire(s) for my brangus girls.

FWIW, I really like the second bull. He's wide and square on his feet.
lovehammer, I have used semen on several popular bulls over the years. (I am almost 100% AI.) I can tell you about several of them if you like. What is your end goal with the calves and what are your girls like? You can send me a PM if you like.........

branguscowgirl":19ovpjdf said:
Thanks everyone for the opinions!
I found some semen on Csonka, but the guys at Genetrust said "on my larger cows the calves would get REALLY big." He said that he is high performance with a lot of "baggage". He would not "moderate frames."
I like how these guys seem to be pretty honest about what they are seeing in the offspring. They all seem to have spent some time looking at these bulls and their get in person. Nice!
Keep in mind that these folks usually have a "bull of the month" that they all will push for a period.... ;-)

Yay! A subject near and dear to my heart. :)

Of the two, I would highly recommend Onstar. We've seen a lot of really nice calves sired by him, plus we have a son we are using on our commercial herd. We used him heavily in the spring this year, and also bought some embryos. He passes on good lines, a little trash, depth of body, ease of fleshing. Watch for white spots though. He seems to breed to the cow on bone and muscle...doesn't really add any. Not super growthy, either.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Texas Star calves in person. The ones I've seen in catalogs I haven't been too crazy about.

I saw Stonewall in person, and will never breed anything to him. Very piece-ey, shallow flanked, not much muscle, and a really snotty attitude.

Three more bulls you might want to look at. TJM Coronado, CB Final Cut, and Suhn's Augustus. We have been using Coronado heavily since he first came out. He is our go-to heifer bull, and really changes the cow. He makes them jet black with fancy fronts, adds bone, moderates frame, gives them a fancy square hip and adds ease of fleshing. The two calves we had this week out of heifers were 57 and 58 pounds. Nothing over 75. We tried flushing a cow to him, but didn't get anything. His semen is excellent...we have had very few miss. We saw the high selling Final Cut bulls from the Kansas sale, and liked them enough to breed several of our cows to him this spring.

We recently bought some cows that had mostly Augustus calves on them. Two of them are going to be our son's first show heifers. The others are all keepers. Several of the mamas are bred back the same way, and we are pretty excited about it. He seems to breed to the cow, but makes them a little bit "better", if that makes any sense.

One more I'll mention is a bull owned by a friend of ours. GR Blanda 803U27. Super consistent and a real cow changer. Very low birthweights on his calves, as well. Has some show heifers doing extremely well here in Texas. I've seen him in person several times and he's impressive. Calves are "cookie cutter." We have several calves coming in the spring, and are planning on flushing some cows to him at some point. I have a picture somewhere if you'd like to see him.

I could talk about this stuff all day. :)

Ricebeltrancher awesome info! I am on the road and it is hard to type on my phone, but we will talk as soon as I have my computer!
Thanks!

Latest posts