Brangus Breeding Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Okay im new to the cattle business and im wanting to breed brangus and sell I know I need the 3/8 brahman and the 5/8 angus my question is if I breed a brangus heifer with a brangus bull do I keep that ration or what do I need to do thanks and experience and help will be appreciated

TennesseeCattle12":2g2ltxvn said:
Okay im new to the cattle business and im wanting to breed brangus and sell I know I need the 3/8 brahman and the 5/8 angus my question is if I breed a brangus heifer with a brangus bull do I keep that ration or what do I need to do thanks and experience and help will be appreciated
What dun said......lots of cows are "brangus type" or "brangus look". Most are not true brangus.

I breed registered Brangus. If you buy and breed only registered Brangus to registered Brangus, you are fine! Go to the International Brangus breeders Assoc. website and become a member. :D

Just some words of advice.......if I were new to the cattle business I wouldn't raise Brangus until I had allot of cattle experience. They are a great cross but can really hurt you if you don't know how to work them. You will usually get docked for too much ear at most any sale in Tennessee. Good luck and I hope you have some really good working pens, corrals and strong fences.

My 2 cents
Unless you're beeding replacement heifers or bulls and are a commercial operation and selling calves at the sale barn you'd be better off using a terminal bull om them brangus cows that'd take some ear off

well my grandpa raised brangus all his life so im up for the challenge and il either sale the yealings off or sale for beef like he did but if I sell for beef do I keeo breeding brangus together or do I need a terminal bull to take some ear off

Im gonna run a cow/calf operation and sale the calves each year so do I stick with the brangus bull and heifer or what

TennesseeCattle12":1rmzq1c6 said:
Im gonna run a cow/calf operation and sale the calves each year so do I stick with the brangus bull and heifer or what

I don't know what the market is like in Tennessee, but if you want to take off some of the ear you might try a Hereford bull. That makes a good cross. Not only will the steers do well but the heifers make good cows, so it's not necessarily a terminal cross.

And I saw the post about Brangus being wild. While that's certainly true for some, it's not true for all of them by any means. I have a few that are a little more nervous than the others, but most of them won't hardly get out of my way when I walk up to them.

I to must chime in on the comment made about "having good fencing and facilities to work Brangus cattle." They are no different than any other breed. If they are accustomed to your pens and being worked, they are just as docile as any others. If they are turned out on the range, with no human interaction, they will be as wild as any other. Heck, my 74 year old friend is a 50 plus year Brangus breeder who works all her cattle by herself! If she can do all of her own vaccines, AI, calving and bull work, I don't know why anyone else couldn't. :D For that matter, I do all of my own cattle work also. Yes, I will agree. A Brangus can jump a fence flat footed, just like a deer! I had one that would often do that. She went to the sale barn.
Many Brangus breeders here raise Brangus, Angus, and Ultra Blacks. (A cross of a reg. Brangus and reg. Angus that can be registered with the IBBA.) Most of them will agree, some of the nastiest bulls they have had, have not been the Brangus, but have been the Angus bulls!

I also herd that hereford cows with a lim bull make a great cross im just looking for a good breed I can sell or market fast any ideas on what yall would suggest for me being im new to this and yall know way way more than I do

Match the cow to your environment and choose a bull that fits the end goal
Several people on this board that are in your area that can help you choose the right cow

cross_7":1nmk5drw said:
Match the cow to your environment and choose a bull that fits the end goal
Several people on this board that are in your area that can help you choose the right cow
Good advise Cross!

Hereford and brangus is a good cross here in TX you will get good money for your calves bulls and heifers but things may be a bit different where you are. I would suggest going to the local sale barn see what calves are bringing the most money and that will give you an idea of where to go.

Latest posts