Brangus Milking ability

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
This Brangus heifer was about to calve.
y4mg2o9duCknv2fODqDxptUtYji7rD4yJQqYTz_ye9zYHqHEvhO_YEOv2xakmdzfBGZpcUH2pr4exDbVgX6EP2ppmdgbeGnqhLVXPhRMHt5tFvOo0t5kQepzt0Nu1AbCimXW_IdS__kVlZiLmbF5CW6iJ5T9_iLDRjGzNaPngw7QeH8qyBA9kXhcFOm6TlxC_UZ

y4mz4oL5SHD5weSV5FttgxtNWVZubP_W2DqTfzSxJQRkPGts1lBKf8w9hXXehNmuiJvTquKK45BR-jS52zMWQtM-q6IXNhYJaRsoExLhpzYYUiU2Axa8O1tZttsYTRUcHKqk9IgCoW8x-QPy8qFucISe_f5YDN9gqRFRz5ZBDVfuvyTDc8xTyZyaWEy1U6FY-E5

She was quite docile until about 4 days before she calved. Then she started getting quite irritable. After she calved she was extremely protective - dangerously protective. I'll definitely have to watch my back for her. Since she calved much later than the rest of the cows, I'm doubtful that she will catch the bull.

Looks like a lot of swelling/edema in the belly in front of the udder. Probably very uncomfortable - affecting her behavior.

That's what momma cows are supposed to do. I do think some mellow a little over time.

We have cows that want zero to do with you around calving. They get like deer. You will see them pop out or cross a ROW but they won't come any where near you. When the calves get a couple week old they will have them out and about.

That's right BFE!! I have all 4 types in my fields.

And, these Brangus would never allow a coyote to get close to their babies but those dang buzzards will harass them until my dog and I intervene or until the calf can get to some brush. The buzzards are why I won't clear out all my brush.

Well that big bag was all for not. Dang heifer was too nervous to stand still and let the calf nurse. She never kicked the calf but just wouldn't stand. By the time I realized what was going on and was able to get the cow away from the calf, it was too late. She lived for one more day. She was just skin on bones, no muscle tissue at all. I gave her a bottle of electrolytes and 3 hours later gave her some powdered colostrum. She was happy to get both and eagerly sucked them down but died the next day. Momma cow is going to the sale this week. She is very sneaky - walks up like she's your friend, real slow, nose out, ears up, and in the last 15 feet charges. Thankfully she's already in the pens, ready to load.

Sorry you lost the calf. It's hard to tell sometimes with one like that. If they aren't kicking at them, you just assume the calf is getting to nurse. I'm glad you've already got her up and don't have to worry bout that part at least. Hope she sells good for you and you can get a good replacement for her. Good time to sell culls.

I have had trouble with brangus cows, because their bags were too low to the ground and the calf couldn't find the teat.
We have a heavy bred brangus cow now that we are going to put in a trap so we can keep an eye on her.

Been posted here before, but to fitting not to come around again.

That's about right. Been a long time since I've seen one like the first.
Have a few like the second one, most are somewhere between the 3rd and fourth. If you find their calf the cows are right on you pretty fast, in a week or two they simmer down.
Knock in wood, haven't had any coyote issues for a few years even though we thick with them. The buzzards are a different story, have to keep a close watch out for them.

I have had trouble with brangus cows, because their bags were too low to the ground and the calf couldn't find the teat.
We have a heavy bred brangus cow now that we are going to put in a trap so we can keep an eye on her.
That's the number one problem I've had with them, and have had to cull for. It's frustrating having all that good milk right there and calf can't get it. Calves are good once they latch the first time, but some can take a while to figure it out, especially if it's a bigger calf that has to bend way down. It gets old worrying and having to watch them to make sure they are ok nursing.

Well that big bag was all for not. Dang heifer was too nervous to stand still and let the calf nurse. She never kicked the calf but just wouldn't stand. By the time I realized what was going on and was able to get the cow away from the calf, it was too late. She lived for one more day. She was just skin on bones, no muscle tissue at all. I gave her a bottle of electrolytes and 3 hours later gave her some powdered colostrum. She was happy to get both and eagerly sucked them down but died the next day. Momma cow is going to the sale this week. She is very sneaky - walks up like she's your friend, real slow, nose out, ears up, and in the last 15 feet charges. Thankfully she's already in the pens, ready to load
Well that big bag was all for not. Dang heifer was too nervous to stand still and let the calf nurse. She never kicked the calf but just wouldn't stand. By the time I realized what was going on and was able to get the cow away from the calf, it was too late. She lived for one more day. She was just skin on bones, no muscle tissue at all. I gave her a bottle of electrolytes and 3 hours later gave her some powdered colostrum. She was happy to get both and eagerly sucked them down but died the next day. Momma cow is going to the sale this week. She is very sneaky - walks up like she's your friend, real slow, nose out, ears up, and in the last 15 feet charges. Thankfully she's already in the pens, ready to load.
Could it been udder edema? And when the calf's trying to nurse.with it inflamed and sensitive..causing her pain

Last edited:
Could it been udder edema? And when the calf's trying to nurse.with it inflamed and sensitive..causing her pain
If you look at the second picture, there is the normal curve of the front of the udder back up towards the cow's underline. But then in front of that there is a bulge that dips back down and then back up just behind the navel. Looks like a lot of painful swelling to me. There is something wrong there. A normal udder does not go to the middle of a cow. Some might look at that picture and decide the heifer has a nice udder. But that was not my conclusion.

If you look at the second picture, there is the normal curve of the front of the udder back up towards the cow's underline. But then in front of that there is a bulge that dips back down and then back up just behind the navel. Looks like a lot of painful swelling to me. There is something wrong there. A normal udder does not go to the middle of a cow. Some might look at that picture and decide the heifer has a nice udder. But that was not my conclusion.
She would have had bag problems long term. IMO, that cow would not go the distance.

Biggest bull mistake I ever made was one with good milking epd.

This is her after calving.
y4mp54Pn9a8iQ48IVZ80fcGdly1V22TsJ9Y4RGPi5q13n_fV6PaijfTHc1MUf8JIac77yxq6qguwihajIo2xjdRdiWvglWKdehKD-KfSmc5jFoT2AueHb-GwGbK3J6ImT-9YsiNAJXteuQPJH2s1EJAgebemOg0ye4W8C5mXuveURI7yMC3IwkjDSr6Ho35m2st

y4mf_gRQzGA2Q6La3vxpUWsaz84AZKVqEke3xR05HvFXIW0Ogaq6brTqXsKzU3uTBAcrQqERL3NXkLcNjvf7ZhGX_UhZesZNekn0pR-1qM10hIx0W2snHlrfcqE_HRK0kt6w9LIgzvA_3IcHd_EsGkaWjHkmQWcjdImoD6zDng_002soS7b0OxzudnAFr-Covfr

The picture above and below shows how thin the calf is. I first thought maybe a dummy calf, but when she sucked those 2 bottles down I knew it was not so.

y4mr919DeDOJp1CHUpFoK7AN9GnUyGMsz2aWO5lgDYgZfhSNjufvfGco1dqARFbj9M6ShBmNtBr8-BExFP6G9mZwI_bwyiLEKjc9CQmXo-eDZr5tvE9LnuZobFuU25XnV6gSPAHo4OtBRY622M8_9qfl5fmfImdkDpDQPKeW7RgtT7Bf2CRhU7sbdN56-xV6yiX

My granddaughter helping with milking when the cow was in the squeeze. The cow stood quietly the whole time.
y4m0PeP-K0PQQcY6eaEoNbXMz3Hmt9tJ4H9inFe9O5nfON22OtC_tIYz72i1FtSOgK4Opt_0t_87WRAsAoW0nnKZWh4uua4nbUL1WatyMeGqUUuKM7AIgnVJ1NGR7AOMLwR9g6n1YbOzfL1mut7_knfVFn0I_yCAzbQ-L7a6T1glFZRWASLorJRA-amHUy_eVZn