Breeding Braford Heifer with Brangus Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

RBP

Reaction score
I was looking for some good 5-7 year Brangus mix cows some moths ago and one of the cows I ended up buying is a Brangus cross recip cow with a Braford embryo transplant. Trans Ova did the transplant. I've never gotten involved with ET's, but the purchase gives me an option to sell the Braford calf when weened and recoup a good part of my initial cost or keep it and breed it with a good Brangus bull I have. I'm leaning towards keeping it. Any thoughts on Brangus x Braford?

I was looking for some good 5-7 year Brangus mix cows some moths ago and one of the cows I ended up buying is a Brangus cross recip cow with a Braford embryo transplant. Trans Ova did the transplant. I've never gotten involved with ET's, but the purchase gives me an option to sell the Braford calf when weened and recoup a good part of my initial cost or keep it and breed it with a good Brangus bull I have. I'm leaning towards keeping it. Any thoughts on Brangus x Braford?
Well you have two crossbreed parents that you are breeding, both half Brahman... so you could get anything from a completely brahman calf to a Hereford/Angus calf or anything in between. It just depends on how the alleles line up in the DNA. In any case, as long as all grandparents were high quality cattle, the calf should be decent. But there is no way of knowing what it will look like for sure. There possibilities that are more likely, but nothing 100%.

Well you have two crossbreed parents that you are breeding, both half Brahman... so you could get anything from a completely brahman calf to a Hereford/Angus calf or anything in between. It just depends on how the alleles line up in the DNA. In any case, as long as all grandparents were high quality cattle, the calf should be decent. But there is no way of knowing what it will look like for sure. There possibilities that are more likely, but nothing 100%.
Brafords are 5/8 Hereford x 3/8 Brahman. Crossed with a Brangus will make a good calf for central Texas conditions. Personal opinion, but every cow in Texas should be 3/8 to 1/2 Brahman influence. You then take that cow and breed for yield and grade.

No, Brangus and Braford are 3/8ths Brahma. PB, registered ones are. Or, that was their make up or formula when the breeds were developed. Actually, pb Reg Brangus or Braford, are 100% Brangus or Braford.

I have seen many thousands of Brangus x Braford calves...true Brangus and true Braford.. They all look as uniform as any other breed crosses. They are black baldies with a little ear.

Latest posts