Branding cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it labor intensive and easy to get started or not worth the hassle in your opinion? Thanks

Cold here. Like the cold, easier to see on dark hided cattle every day of the year.
ofve41.jpg

Fire Sweep Ranch":g0fijtbu said:
Cold here. Like the cold, easier to see on dark hided cattle every day of the year.
ofve41.jpg

That's a NICE bull!

Thanks! We sold him last fall, since we only AI.

We bought our brand from L & H Branding, and I highly recommend them. I sent them a picture of what we wanted (and was approved by the state branding laws) and they made it (lots of back and forth communication). It only took about 2 weeks to get it made, and I think it was like $200 ish. We were having a problem with theft in our county of cattle, so we started branding to protect what we have. it is fairly easy, and in the fall of the first year we did the entire herd in one day, and now do calves at weaning. If I was to advise or change anything, I would say think about the design a lot. Our brand is a little too big, so we have to wait for the calves to get some grow on them before we brand (usually weaning works). We could not get the brand made any smaller because of the design and how much space is needed between the outline. But I love our brand, and we get lots of comments about it. I have had people that know us in another state tell us they saw one of our heifers we sold at one time in a herd, and the only reason they knew she was once ours was because of the brand!
Here is the web site:

http://www.lhbrandingirons.com/

Even with a winter coat on, you see the freeze brand

28svmz9.jpg

23ijy2s.jpg

(this is an 11 year old cow)
2965wn.jpg

Even when they get put on upside down (accident, of course!) they are still clear!
28hitqq.jpg

When we branded we used a hot iron. Any decent blacksmith should be able to make a good hot iron properly. It's worth it if there is any chance you're cattle may stray (or be stolen). The straying part depends on your neighbors. Wityh some neighbors it wouldn;t matter if you had them branded with "This cow belongs to (and your name and address)

We fire brand. Its not always pretty but it's effective. Its a permanent mark. In texas you have to register your brand in your county. We have ours registered in three counties to include our leased pastures.

We freeze brand

Pros - can find the cows ID makes life easy when showing cattle to customers or just going out to preg check.

Cons - Finding the time to get the job done. We did get all of our heifers done in 2009 missed 2010 got them done in 2011 and haven't managed to get the 2012, 2013 or 2014 calf crop done. Its a great tool when you use it we keep talking about the best time to schedule it but just haven't managed to get this task worked into our schedule.

Dr. Cliff Lamb did a demonstration on freeze branding at our farm back when we started in 2009 I included the entire procedure of how to freeze brand in our blog at
http://www.gizmoangus.blogspot.com you will have to search older blogs to find it.

gizmom

Just out of curiosity??? How do people come up with/decide where and which side to put brand(s)?

Drzr":kiycurtt said:
Just out of curiosity??? How do people come up with/decide where and which side to put brand(s)?
In california you come up with your brand design and have choices of where to locate it. Your choices are spcified on your brand submission paperwork. The sate Dept of Ag will tell you which place to put it. Our choices were left hip, left shuolder, right hip, right shoulder ledf rib right rib rib. Rib is really a bad spot since the meat is so thin over them that you can end up with some pretty nasty burn throughs. We ended up with left shoulder. I'm sure each state has their own rules. That was just the califonia way back in the 60s.

we fire brand, other than the freeze brand denoting year that we put on replacements. we brand homegrown calves on the hip and have an iron we brand stocker cattle with on the rib.
i think branding is a good management tool and proof of ownership and would recommend doing it.

Drzr":h0iws0u2 said:
You pick your spot when you register your brand. For the brand to be legal it has to be in the right location.

gizmom":16fzljf7 said:
This is way off topic but Rafter S I love your signature every time I read it I smile!

gizmom

Thank you. I wish I could say I was smart enough to have thought it up myself, but I got it from a bumper sticker given out by the Navasota auction barn.

Latest posts