brand new

Help Support CattleToday:

tucows

Reaction score
my boys and i bought two calves to raise for butchering. we have about 1 1/2 acres fenced. the ground has tall grass(about 3-4ft tall). what type of feed should we use and how much. should we give them hay or alfalfa. iv'e been told to feed them sweet feed and also corn. any and all answers will be helpfull.

The tall grass won't last long...they'll eat some and trample down the rest. Hay should be available...watch their "condition".

Dun and some of the others on the board can give you some good ideas on feeding out cattle for butchering.

Go to the feed board and you will find several threads on this subject.

I leave mine on one and a half acre lot. I do not drylot. I have fed several feeds, but the Tindle Superstock 12% protein has a lot of corn in it, and it is one of the best all around values. I work them up to about 15-20 pounds a day of the feed. I feed limited hay-a couple blocks. Free choice mineral. We've typically had 3-4 pounds per day of gain, and excellent cut with a fork steak. We've had approval from our butcher as to the marbling and yield. A customer told me the one I just butchered was the best he'd ever had in his life. He is in his fifties and was raised on a Kansas farm. I give most of the credit to good genetics.

Good luck. :)

Running Arrow Bill":1nb5mkzr said:
The tall grass won't last long...they'll eat some and trample down the rest. Hay should be available...watch their "condition".

Dun and some of the others on the board can give you some good ideas on feeding out cattle for butchering.

greenwillowherefords":2ytcjm1i said:
Go to the feed board and you will find several threads on this subject.

I leave mine on one and a half acre lot. I do not drylot. I have fed several feeds, but the Tindle Superstock 12% protein has a lot of corn in it, and it is one of the best all around values. I work them up to about 15-20 pounds a day of the feed. I feed limited hay-a couple blocks. Free choice mineral. We've typically had 3-4 pounds per day of gain, and excellent cut with a fork steak. We've had approval from our butcher as to the marbling and yield. A customer told me the one I just butchered was the best he'd ever had in his life. He is in his fifties and was raised on a Kansas farm. I give most of the credit to good genetics.

Good luck. :)what is drylot? should i get salt blocks or mineral blocks?
i think the calve are about 500 pounds now, so would they reguire 15-20 pounds of feed per day.

OK, Tucows.There is one thing to remember, especially if you are new at this. There are MANY different ideas on how to finish a steer for butchering. If ya came to my neck of the woods, I could give ya a dozen men here in my area who all do it different. Don't get wrapped up in tryin to find the "perfect formula" cause I ain't sure there is one of those. Alot of men will disagree with that cause they think their way IS perfect. I personally feed cracked corn and good brome for 60- 80 days before slaughter. No less than 60 by all means, but if I'm in a hurry to butcher 60 seems to be fine. If not, I will go 80 days on a finishing diet. I have known folks who set such a high standard of expectation on their first steer or two that the animal could not live up to their expectations under any conditions, and they were very disappointed in their meat. Not that it was bad. It just didn't meet that soft as butter, perfectly marbled, taste straight from heaven expectation they had built up in their minds. Don't let yaself fall into that trap. Just know that with a little common sense, alotta good grain, and some decent hay, ya steer is gonna taste way better than what ya buy in the grocery store, and ya did it yaself! I have never been TOO scientific about it, never had a complaint about any of my beef reguardin flavor, tender or anythin else. Good luck!

george

greenwillowherefords":n5bio5jq said:
Drylot is no grass available.

Depends on how long you want to feed them. The quicker the better IMO.

I need to clarify this. I like for them to be on feed for 90 days. I just meant that if you don't feed them enough, they will take longer than that to finish from the weight you mentioned. My last steer was on feed 120 days because the butcher was so busy!

Latest posts