Brahman X Galloway

Help Support CattleToday:

Pure Brahman and any of their crosses are becoming more predominate in our high country where I live. I realise that it is not as bitter in winter as those similar altitudes or latitudes of North America. Our area ranges from 3,000 to 4,500 above sea level. A number of breeders use the Brahman and their derived breeds ( Brangus, Santa, Charbray, F1 Brahman Hereford) as an efficient tool with which to cross either Hereford or Angus or any other breed over. Nothing beats an F1.

Taurus":1fizuu0k said:
MichaelB":1fizuu0k said:
All of that effort and he didn't use a BELTED Galloway? ;)
no idea what Brahman x Belted Galloway looks like

Not the best picture, but this cow was out of a Red Brahman cow I had years back that I bought at a sale that was bred to a Belted Galloway bull. I have no idea why they crossed the two breeds, but she's been a good cow. She's got a little more of a belt on her other side. She's not the purtiest thing to look at, but she's efficient and raises a good calf every year. Typically get a solid black calf out of her when bred to an Angus bull. Not sure if you'd call her a Belted Brahmoway or what. :lol2:

A.J.":3gb7o497 said:
Taurus":3gb7o497 said:
MichaelB":3gb7o497 said:
All of that effort and he didn't use a BELTED Galloway? ;)
no idea what Brahman x Belted Galloway looks like

Not the best picture, but this cow was out of a Red Brahman cow I had years back that I bought at a sale that was bred to a Belted Galloway bull. I have no idea why they crossed the two breeds, but she's been a good cow. She's got a little more of a belt on her other side. She's not the purtiest thing to look at, but she's efficient and raises a good calf every year. Typically get a solid black calf out of her when bred to an Angus bull. Not sure if you'd call her a Belted Brahmoway or what. :lol2:

Nice cow.....and very goofy looking one lol

I came back onto this site because I though that there might be something to learn about various breeds not to have particular crosses knocked ( this cross of this thread is very useful) There are a lot of cattlebreeders out there looking for better alternatives than Angus. The Galloway is most probably one of them like I have found with South Devon.

Australian":35ygn2sj said:
I came back onto this site because I though that there might be something to learn about various breeds not to have particular crosses knocked ( this cross of this thread is very useful) There are a lot of cattlebreeders out there looking for better alternatives than Angus. The Galloway is most probably one of them like I have found with South Devon.
Nothing's wrong with experimenting with different breeds in crossbreeding. I like Belted Galloway x Black Angus crosses, the cows stay smaller but can weaning heavy calves off and I don't think I ever seen them panting out in the hot weather when we penned them up to loading back to home.

Might try putting them in some hot weather. Minie sota ain't the Gulf Coast. Colin you no better than to pay any attention to the Village idiot.

Red Bull Breeder":3a88en7p said:
Might try putting them in some hot weather. Minie sota ain't the Gulf Coast. Colin you no better than to pay any attention to the Village idiot.
:roll: like I said, there are few brahman crosses that do well in Minnesota winters.

:bday:

Taurus":1wgc93x6 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1wgc93x6 said:
:roll: like I said, there are few brahman crosses that do well in Minnesota winters. :bday:
they may do well,, but their out of their element....like having a cadilac in a lincoln showroom..

ALACOWMAN":29bdt9be said:
Taurus":29bdt9be said:
Red Bull Breeder":29bdt9be said:
:roll: like I said, there are few brahman crosses that do well in Minnesota winters. :bday:
they may do well,, but their out of their element....like having a cadilac in a lincoln showroom..
Tell them that one :tiphat:

:roll: like I said, there are few brahman crosses that do well in Minnesota winters. :bday:[/quote] they may do well,, but their out of their element....like having a cadilac in a lincoln showroom..[/quote]
Tell them that one :tiphat:[/quote] you do it for me... if they tell you to mind your own dam business.. well we tried :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1pzpac8s said:
they may do well,, but their out of their element....like having a cadilac in a lincoln showroom..[/quote]
Tell them that one :tiphat:[/quote] you do it for me... if they tell you to mind your own dam business.. well we tried :cowboy:[/quote] I'm not going tell them what they should/shouldn't do. They take cares of their cattle very well. As my friend has Brahman and Brahman X Holstein cattle here, never had any problem with them in the winter. The Brahman x highland crosses I seen were very hairy and ugliest....not mentioned that they were high headed.

:lol: i see you took my comment a little to serious,, just dont see a need for brahman influence in a area where their not a necessity , and still get discounted. like shooting yourself in the foot

Latest posts