Brahman X Galloway

Help Support CattleToday:

Galloways1

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman from Australia this past week.

He has done extensive crossing with fullblood Galloways and various breeds.

I often get asked how Galloway and Brahman would cross, and had little info to give anyone.

Here is a picture of a working 50% Galloway 50% Brahman bull being used in the tropical region of Australia. This bull was out of a Brahman cow, AI'd to a Galloway bull. The steer mates won a gain contest in the same area of Australia. The heifer mates were all kept for replacements.

The cross works great.

Braway.jpg

Taurus":53b1n819 said:
How's their cold tolerance?

The Brahman breeder was very happy with their performance in his harsh tropical enviroment.

The Galloway breeder bred some of his Galloway cows Brahman, and said that crossed work well also, due to the extra hybred vigor.

Taurus":2a7s46z0 said:
So are you saying that this cross can work in colder climates?

The guy I talked to had nothing but good things to say about the cross. I did not speciffically ask him about colder climates. I was more interested to learn about how well the Galloway X Brahman were working in tropical conditions.

So many people in the south shy away from Galloways or their crosses.

He will be sending me more info on the Galloway X Brahman crosses.

Taurus":rcim9koe said:

You may be missing the point, which I believe is the Galloway X Bos Indicus can work in more tropical climates. We all know straight Galloway does well in colder climates.

SSGenetics":uoib6elr said:
Taurus":uoib6elr said:

You may be missing the point, which I believe is the Galloway X Bos Indicus can work in more tropical climates. We all know straight Galloway does well in colder climates.
To be fair, I've seen furry highland x brahman crosses (ugliest SOBs) that do well up north, why not brahman x galloway crosses?

Taurus":5vck70e1 said:
SSGenetics":5vck70e1 said:
Taurus":5vck70e1 said:

To be fair, I've seen furry highland x brahman crosses (ugliest SOBs) that do well up north, why not brahman x galloway crosses?

Taurus- I think I understand what you are asking. Does crossing the Galloway with Brahman give northern producers another option.

In my opinion- yes, but you will still have to deal with the EAR stigma for northern feedlots. Of course, that could be bred out of them with a 3rd cross.

Galloway2":zll1g355 said:
Taurus- I think I understand what you are asking. Does crossing the Galloway with Brahman give northern producers another option.
In my opinion- yes, but you will still have to deal with the EAR stigma for northern feedlots.

I like Galloways - - but it is not clear why you would go with this F1 in the north...
There is a midwest guy pushing F1 herf x highlander replacements. Claims to have the ultimate in cow efficiency. Do you have any wooly herf x red or dun galloway pics?

Stocker Steve":1yxi3ir8 said:
Galloway2":1yxi3ir8 said:
In my opinion- yes, but you will still have to deal with the EAR stigma for northern feedlots.

I like Galloways - - but it is not clear why you would go with this F1 in the north...
There is a midwest guy pushing F1 herf x highlander replacements. Claims to have the ultimate in cow efficiency. Do you have any wooly herf x red or dun galloway pics?
My good buddy is raising the brahman cattle up north. Never had any issues with them in the cold climates, however they are only hobby cows.

I don't like how hereford x highland looks and it seems that this cross retained highland's slow growth and size.

I have heard of this cross. Both of these men are very astute cattlemen. One has been a Galloway breeder from the high country of Victoria and the other a long standing Brahman breeder fron Central Queensland. Hybrid vigour would be the reason for the cross and the hardiness of the Galloway mixed with Brahman. It baffles me as to why tropical cattle breeders would ever use Angus. They being black are atrocious for attracting Buffalo Fly. they are bad enough in my temperate area. There isn't as bigger discount for Brahman derived breeds in our cooler areas as it seems in North America. yet our cooler areas just aren't as bitter as the US or Canada.

Latest posts