Brahma/charlious/limousin cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80":5mw1vco0 said:
:pop: so as for my original question?
Has anyone had that cross? How'd it work?

Farmboy it was a silly question that got silly answers. Like asking how many Belted Watusi Herefords are running in pastures...

Bet you a cup of coffee whatever you saw had 0% Limousin.

Caustic Burno":17lp4yw6 said:
Muddy":17lp4yw6 said:
It's getting old with all this nonsense Brahman pimping shyt.

Jealousy and envy are an ugly thing,
I know it has to hurt you to run inferior cattle.
You show up on a Brahman thread whining .
Someone's being butthurt when you got called out on it so you resort to making personal insults. Real mature, CB.

Muddy":ghfwwbo6 said:
Caustic Burno":ghfwwbo6 said:
Muddy":ghfwwbo6 said:

Someone's being butthurt when you got called out on it so you resort to making personal insults. Real mature, CB.

Too funny you want to be like TB and just pull something out of your butt with no data. Difference is TB is right about 90% of the time.
Again I say you are the one of the least knowledgeable persons on this board

Caustic Burno":3ioftw73 said:
Bramosin got popular for a while but faded out. I know the cross makes for some real nutsoid calves.
Neighbor ran a Limm bull for a while, beautiful calves sold well. They just liked riding on top of the trailer
to the sale barn.
The ones I've seen made the Tigers look dog gentle.
Charbray brings a lot to the table as Brute mentioned.
:lol:
Good one CB and I fear you are is completely right about that.

I've seen some limos get really wound up like none other... when selecting a limo bull you really need to watch out
for nervous dispositions and I certainly can imagine a Bramosin is not one I would want to be around.

Caustic Burno":35091oit said:
Muddy":35091oit said:
Caustic Burno":35091oit said:

Too funny you want to be like TB and just pull something out of your butt with no data. Difference is TB is right about 90% of the time.
Again I say you are the one of the least knowledgeable persons on this board
Again, resorting to making insults as usual.

Son of Butch":2umkd2eb said:
Caustic Burno":2umkd2eb said:
Bramosin got popular for a while but faded out. I know the cross makes for some real nutsoid calves.
Neighbor ran a Limm bull for a while, beautiful calves sold well. They just liked riding on top of the trailer
to the sale barn.
The ones I've seen made the Tigers look dog gentle.
:lol:
Good one CB and I fear you are is completely right about that.

I've seen some limos get really wound up like none other... when selecting a limo bull you really need to watch out
for nervous dispositions and I certainly can imagine a Bramosin is not one I would want to be around.

My uncle on my mom's side bred and sold registered Limos for a good while. He was in full swing thru my teenage years. I helped him work his cattle the majority of the time. They were all easy going.

My dad's family bought a couple Limo bulls from him. One I had tagged as a calf, #23, then worked him all the way thru breeding age. Obviously I picked him for my dad's family.

When those bulls crossed with our Brahman X cattle they became athletes. I saw more than one clear 6' pens and barely clip the top board with their heels. They were jumping cattle guards, fences, pens... It was crazy. It made no sense. We had to catch and sell any thing related to them. Some had to be shot dead because they would just turn and haul butt. Wouldn't stop for fences or any thing. One of them cleared the gate at the auction barn and took off down the road.

Not all of them were like that but a lot were. Some were just flat out dangerous if you did actually get them in pens they couldn't get out.

Caustic Burno":2rl8iqbq said:
Brute 23":2rl8iqbq said:
It still doesn't make any sense to me. You are adding either Brahamn to your Char for durability or Char to your Brahman for sellability. That's logical.

I don't see what Limo brings to the table. If your going to the auction with terminal calves go Char again across them. I would think even Angus or Hereford would be better than Limo.

Bramosin got popular for a while but faded out. I know the cross makes for some real nutsoid calves. Neighbor ran a Limm bull for a while, beautiful calves sold well. They just like riding on top of the trailer to the salebarn. The ones I seen made the Tigers look dog gentle.
brahmousin Had a lick here in the late 80's...if you seen any after that, it was usually just in the bull.. Didn't last long....

Just wanted to know if anyone had tried that cross. Didn't say it was good or bad. Went to look at a heifer that was supposed to be that cross. Didn't buy her. Just wanted to get yalls opinion. Thanks for the opinions.

Not to stir the pot but I do think there is more in the woodpile on Char you see in America vs Europe. I think there is a noticeable difference if you look at char from Europe and char from US. And even Limousine in Europe vs US. Maybe it is selection pressure or environment but it is hard for me to look at Europe char and say it is a direct line to the registered char I see in US. But that is just my untrained eye.

u4411clb":3sv0k48r said:
Not to stir the pot but I do think there is more in the woodpile on Char you see in America vs Europe. I think there is a noticeable difference if you look at char from Europe and char from US. And even Limousine in Europe vs US. Maybe it is selection pressure or environment but it is hard for me to look at Europe char and say it is a direct line to the registered char I see in US. But that is just my untrained eye.
Nah the Charolais were bred up from the native cattle in both Mexico and Canada, not just Brahman (which is a composite of four different breeds). But the European lines of most breeds were a little extreme and well muscled.

No one is real sure what made up the American Brahman mainly bulls were imported from the mid 1800's by entrepreneurs to 1900. Shanghi Pierce was a major player trying to rid tick fever. His estate was one of the man drivers in importing the foundation herd. It wasn't till the 1920's when the breed association was established that some standardization started taking place.

You can book hunts and stay on the old Pierce Ranch.

http://www.karankawa.com

farmboy80":3mi0on49 said:
Just wanted to know if anyone had tried that cross. Didn't say it was good or bad. Went to look at a heifer that was supposed to be that cross. Didn't buy her. Just wanted to get yalls opinion. Thanks for the opinions.
Farmboy,
Doc Harris doesn't post anymore so I will give you the basic pointers about balanced cattle.

We are all juggling three things:
Inputs
Outputs/Yield
Carcass Quality

The best way to do this is by having a maternal cow and a terminal bull. Unless you are breeding for replacement females, then you want a maternal bull.

A Brahman/Charolais/Limousin is a terminal heifer. Her inputs will exceed her outputs as a cow. You want a cow to be low input.

You could easily do a search for Doc Harris to learn more.

Caustic Burno":1hhh6m96 said:
Muddy":1hhh6m96 said:

CB you realize Muddy is king of the beltie breed don't you? Now that's a real man's cow. :hide:

JWBrahman":ccps2va1 said:
farmboy80":ccps2va1 said:
Farmboy,
Doc Harris doesn't post anymore so I will give you the basic pointers about balanced cattle.

We are all juggling three things:
Inputs
Outputs/Yield
Carcass Quality

The best way to do this is by having a maternal cow and a terminal bull. Unless you are breeding for replacement females, then you want a maternal bull.

A Brahman/Charolais/Limousin is a terminal heifer. Her inputs will exceed her outputs as a cow. You want a cow to be low input.

You could easily do a search for Doc Harris to learn more.
Is that supposed to read "... then you want a terminal bull"

Around there, the crazies are the angus and herfs.. and I'm actually not saying it's because of breeding, it's because of environment.. crazy owners (or none at all) and very remote, desolate range areas with predator pressure... Apparently some limos are crazy, mine are puppy dogs.. Salers and Simms are known for it too, but I've never seen it.

TexasBred":31i7aq0w said:
Caustic Burno":31i7aq0w said:
Muddy":31i7aq0w said:

CB you realize Muddy is king of the beltie breed don't you? Now that's a real man's cow. :hide:

No I did not realize that.
They are as rare as chicken lips here.
Do they melt?

TexasBred":2zltt288 said:
Caustic Burno":2zltt288 said:
Muddy":2zltt288 said:

And that is why many posters left and all we have is a bunch of old orney grumps.

Nesi,
If the calf is going to slaughter you aren't looking as hard at the sire for udders, feet, and other traits that equate to longevity in the herd. A maternal bull by my definition is a bull that is going to improve those traits or at least breed as good as what you have.

We have a lot of data about what works here, and it's more about frame than breed. The frame 5-6 cow around 1200-1300 is going to breed back on schedule. As you creep up in frame and weight you push back your schedule.

Latest posts