Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

One study done in South Dakota had three pens of white-tailed deer females that were pregnant. One pen of does was given a specific dose of an insecticide imidacloprid in their water. Another pen of does was given a low dose of imidacloprid in their water and the third pen was the control group so not deliberately given imidacloprid. The fawns that died soon after birth had the highest levels of imidacloprid in their spleen. Those that were born with underdeveloped facial bones causing an underbite or an overbite and/or reproductive malformations also had some of the highest leveles of imidacloprid in their spleen. Interestingly, Oregon uses quite a lot of imidacloprid on their fields. Also of concern is that imidacloprid and glyphosate work synergistically to cause far more cellular damage than either alone. Glyphosate is a patented mineral chelator. It chelates the minerals out of any exposed plants and when it falls on plants that animals eat, it chelates the minerals in the animal, causing it to be mineral deficient. When a pregnant grazing animal is thus caused to be mineral deficient, her newborn is likely to have underdeveloped facial bones. I really do not see any way that the livestock owner can select against underdeveloped bones. When those two chemicals are falling in the rain onto the foliage that his or her animals are eating there is no way to keep the animals from being exposed.
You're making the assumption that exposure to insecticides is the ONLY reason a ruminant can have underdeveloped facial bones, and that there are no individuals who could be more or less susceptible to its effects. Those are both huge, and likely incorrect, assumptions.

Oh oh, the GMO people - University scientists were poisoning those poor does. Not a big of a deal here in Oregon river valleys. The drainage is from forested mountain ranges. This is dairy country. The dished face, small muzzle and big eyes are Jersey traits. I saw the lower front teeth in my bottle calf calf for at he first month or so when she looked up at me. Now at 3 months she had grown out of it

100_2090.JPG

Herbicides, not insecticides, are used to replant timberland plantations in river drainages. All pesticides used in the United States must be registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and must carry federally approved labels describing permitted uses and appropriate protection measures. To be registered, pesticides must be tested for effects on humans and the environment.

I myself am a permitted licensed applicator. Just today I was out spraying foliar herbicide on invasive blackberry in our cow pastures. I used an herbicide that is permitted to be used next to fish bearing streams.

The dairy cows that graze here are not just eating from feed bunks. They are successfully grazing every day on grass. Apparently there is nothing wrong with their bites.

Ehem!

Back to the lil fart, or Tigger, as I call her.
No more bottles. She's eating with the 3 males. Not what I had planned, but I'll take it. Think she's a bit older than her size and weight suggest. I should've taken that sticker off when I was bottling her. She dang sure don't want me being a mama to her...
She's still a wonderful lil thing tho. Bless her heart!
20221010_174705.jpg

Ehem!

Back to the lil fart, or Tigger, as I call her.
No more bottles. She's eating with the 3 males. Not what I had planned, but I'll take it. Think she's a bit older than her size and weight suggest. I should've taken that sticker off when I was bottling her. She dang sure don't want me being a mama to her...
She's still a wonderful lil thing tho. Bless her heart!
View attachment 21943
I wouldn't be at all surprised if she is a miniature and damn close to fully grown. She just doesn't have the "infant" look.

Her tail is still very short. Length of tail indicates age. We purposely trim our show cattle tails to give them a younger appearance.
If they are small with long tails, then they are older than they appear.
Lil better pic of tail.
I'm a guess 2 months plus? Idk
Shes very fine boned too. Need to find her a home. She very skittish. And I've got a steer in there that's skittish too. Guess I better get that halter on her pretty soon....
20221002_101337.jpg

Lil better pic of tail.
I'm a guess 2 months plus? Idk
Shes very fine boned too. Need to find her a home. She very skittish. And I've got a steer in there that's skittish too. Guess I better get that halter on her pretty soon....
View attachment 21969
Yeah, with that pic I'll backtrack and say she's younger than my first impression. Odd shaped head, long with such a small muzzle.

Yeah, with that pic I'll backtrack and say she's younger than my first impression. Odd shaped head, long with such a small muzzle.
Agree. Long face too. I could not find any horn buds either while bottling her.
Couple people I've shown pics think holstein. But I think she is way too fine boned for any holstein in her.
20221002_101447.jpg20221001_184309.jpg

That one in the middle could ALMOST pass for a future pic!
In my mind anyway...

Yourn looks much thicker. That's one of the braford heifers u picked up?
You posted her and that white face with them ears reminded me of mine. So agree, it could almost pass as a future pic. I like how you always have some type of project going on.lol

And yes, shes one of the brafords i posted about. I think this particular one is gorgeous but if i get rid of any, shes the first to go. They hav all calmed down and have adjusted nicely. I can pet two of em. Heres a random pic of that motley crew i got goin on.lol
1009221852b.jpg

You're making the assumption that exposure to insecticides is the ONLY reason a ruminant can have underdeveloped facial bones, and that there are no individuals who could be more or less susceptible to its effects. Those are both huge, and likely incorrect, assumptions.
There were only two reports in the scientific literature about deer fawns with an underbite prior to 1995. One study in Michigan in 1969 looked at 36,000 hunter killed deer for underbite and didn't find one deer with underbite. I grew up on a ranch and we never had any grazing animal or other animal born with an underbite. The insecticide imidacloprid began being used in western states in 1994 and the next spring multiple newborns of various species, wild and domestic, including birds began being born with an underbite. Obviously, since all newborns do not have an underbite, there are individuals who are less susceptible to the effects of the toxins. I did not say either of those things you said I did. Lots of cattle have from 100 ppb to 300 ppb of imidacloprid in their spleens, but the prevalence of underbite in cattle is likely lower than the prevalence of cattle with those high levels of imidacloprid. The white-tailed deer tested have around 10 ppb of imidacloprid in their spleens, but deer fawns appear to have a higher prevalence of underbite than cattle. That suggests that deer are more susceptible to imidacloprid effects than cattle. Some ranchers here in our area had a fairly high prevalence of underbite in the early 2000s at around 30 to 33 percent. I don't know cattle prevalence now.

Ya'll know I love me some bottle babies. I tried the online bidding thing today and let me tell you!!

Bid on a lil black heifer.
Bid pending..........................................
Like a minute and a half later, floor Bid accepted before your Bid. Grrrr.

Well. One of the LAST calves to sell was a lil brahma bull calf. Bidding start at 100 bucks. Had my bidding finger ready!
All of a sudden they are down to 25 bucks!
Swipe! Swipe!
Bid pending.......................................
Same $%@& result!
I was so mad I almost threw my phone. Idk what happened but I suspect they were not paying attention to the online bidder (me)
Calf sold for 25 bucks!

I still got steam coming out my ears!!!!

DERN IT!

Ya'll know I love me some bottle babies. I tried the online bidding thing today and let me tell you!!

Bid on a lil black heifer.
Bid pending..........................................
Like a minute and a half later, floor Bid accepted before your Bid. Grrrr.

Well. One of the LAST calves to sell was a lil brahma bull calf. Bidding start at 100 bucks. Had my bidding finger ready!
All of a sudden they are down to 25 bucks!
Swipe! Swipe!
Bid pending.......................................
Same $%@& result!
I was so mad I almost threw my phone. Idk what happened but I suspect they were not paying attention to the online bidder (me)
Calf sold for 25 bucks!

I still got steam coming out my ears!!!!

DERN IT!
I bet he was adorbs.lol I wondered what the lag was like on the online bidding. Ill watch occasionally but i do not need another way to bid.😂 i always hear at el reno, them taking internet bids but auctioneer has a computer right next to him he looks at.

Latest posts