Both eyes have white cloudly spot right in the middle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
4_23_06_gilligan_with_his_girls.jpg

The above picture is my Highland cattle kids. I have 3 right now, Gilligan, Ginger and MaryAnn. I have 3 more coming the middle of this month. Now for my question... The red one is an 8 month old, and I noticed that both of her eyes have a small white dot right in the middle of her eyeball. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks so much for all the answers I have received from this board, it is nice to know that there's people out there that want to help.

Pinkeye. If the eye is watering a lot it's still active and should be treated. If it's just the spots it's proably healed and that is the residual damage that mya clear up over time.

dun

It's my experience from working at a horse vet that the white dot you are seeing is an ulcer in the eye. You will need to get treatment quickly to avoid permanent eye damage. Just what that treatment is for cattle I am still learning, but their are plenty of educated people here more than willing to help.

listen to dun,
i would not be giving shots based on the description you give, and anyone in their right mind would want more infomation befro recommending doing it. but then TTCLM is the resident BEEN there DONE that.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3o7gsxyj said:
How much does this animal weigh. Give her a shot in each eyelid using a baby calf need of 1 and a half cc of penicllin. Also take the needle out of the syringe and squirt it in both eyes. Or if you are to squeamish to do that then you need to give her some la-200 antibiotic. I think the bottle says about 54 cc for a 1200 pound animal so just read the label and go by what she roughly weighs. Yes ml is the same as cc. You need to give it sub q under the skin.

I agree with the treatment IF IT IS needed. I have just been doing what you said about leaving the needle off and squirting in eye. I use LA-200 instead of penicillin but just what I had around at the time. JHH

Seems that the highland may be recovering instead of just getting it. Hard to tell with out more info and actually seeing the animal.

LA200 (or any of the oxytets) is pretty rough on tissue. I know I'd sure hate to have it in my eye.

Texan":14yyi521 said:
LA200 (or any of the oxytets) is pretty rough on tissue. I know I'd sure hate to have it in my eye.

Dont really know if it was right or wrong but it worked. That is all I had around at the time and I felt that it needed treated with something.

vet said he thought it was ok but did preffer penicillin.

seemed to clear it up fast. JHH

Well, I'm sure a big believer in us doing stuff that works for us. The oldtimers just throw salt in their eye and I don't think I'd like that, either. ;-)

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /30500.htm

"M bovis is susceptible to a variety of antibiotics. Because antibiotic susceptibility may vary in different geographic locations, bacterial culture and susceptibility testing is advised. Ampicillin, penicillin, gentamicin, and kanamycin can be injected subconjunctivally; best results are obtained with injection into the bulbar conjunctiva. Oxytetracycline is generally considered the drug of choice for systemic therapy because it is concentrated in corneal tissue. It cannot, however, be injected in the subconjunctiva because it will cause conjunctival necrosis. Two injections (20 mg/kg) of a long-acting oxytetracycline formulation (200 mg/mL) at 72-hr intervals is the treatment of choice."

I think I would go with Tetradure... A little longer lasting, probably came out after the Merk manual was writen... Generally seemed to work better on the harder cases...

I have heard of some interesting off label uses of some of the more potent antibiotics... the nice thing about LA-200 and Penni is they are OTC... I would never make a diagnosis on someone else animal however without seeing it. Good relationship with a vet when yout have animals is a very good thing.

IL Rancher":132l5c1d said:
I think I would go with Tetradure... A little longer lasting, probably came out after the Merk manual was writen...

To the best of my knowledge, the Merck Veterinary Handbook is a continuing staple in various Vet Tech programs across the country and, as such, it is continually updated and newer versions are then released. I don't see why a 'better' treatment would not have been included if it is a 'better' treatment.

The thing is though that Tetradure is an Oxytetracycline.. It is just a higher dose per ML.. When I first read the section out of Merck for some reason I read LA-200.. We just liked it more here because it was a one dose soluton vs the two shots 72 hours apart...

I shoot 30% bleach solution in their eye. Cures it in one day, no shots of LA 200 unless it already has a big spot in it. Vaccinate before you have a problem anyway. It won't stop all of them from getting it, but it will help.

IL Rancher":owg6sjeg said:
The thing is though that Tetradure is an Oxytetracycline.. It is just a higher dose per ML.. When I first read the section out of Merck for some reason I read LA-200.. We just liked it more here because it was a one dose soluton vs the two shots 72 hours apart...

I see. Thanks for explaining.

What about Nuflor? Anyone tried it for pinkeye? It's indicated on the label but we haven't ever tried it (well until tonight because we have nothing else in the house & the clinic and Co-op are closed...).

We'll let you know how it turns out...

I am bleach fanatic but I wouldn't put a 30% bleach solution in an animal's eye. I wouldn't even want to get it on MY skin.

Water is disinfected at 3 to 15 PPM!

Salt in the eyes. I remember too well my Grampa doing that, even have his old salt bottle on a little "MUSEUM" shelf in the barn. Anybody remember the purple spray stuff? When he "modernised" :roll:

LA 200 systemicly (NOT in the eye) and a puff Nitrofurazone in the eye is what we use, but haven't had much in the last few years (too dry for fly transmission???)

Latest posts