Blue Christmas ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep said:
It doesn't fix the problem though, I think it's part of the reason there are some high functioning alcoholics.. work like be nice, then go drink, repeat the next day, and on weekends too.. I don't think that's a healthy lifestyle either. I have 2 beers on Monday, 2 on friday

In many cases it does fix or prevent the problem. And even when it doesn't it's much better than pulling the covers over your head.

Nesikep said:
It doesn't fix the problem though, I think it's part of the reason there are some high functioning alcoholics.. work like be nice, then go drink, repeat the next day, and on weekends too.. I don't think that's a healthy lifestyle either. I have 2 beers on Monday, 2 on friday

You are absolutely correct. Being a workaholic is still an addiction. It's just seen as a "good" addiction because our society values walking it off, shutting up, and keeping our problems to yourself. I have been around workaholics my entire life, they are not winning at life. They are simply, and blindly, putting one foot in front of the other, and stumbling through life like other addicts.

Bestoutwest said:
Nesikep said:

You are absolutely correct. Being a workaholic is still an addiction. It's just seen as a "good" addiction because our society values walking it off, shutting up, and keeping our problems to yourself. I have been around workaholics my entire life, they are not winning at life. They are simply, and blindly, putting one foot in front of the other, and stumbling through life like other addicts.

While going through a very tough two years , several years back, immersed myself in my work. I ran my business during the week and did jobs by myself on the weekends. I kept my mind clear by keeping it working. When blue Sky's returned I bought 50 acres that joined me and I payed cash for it. .....for some reason that don't seem so bad...in fact snowflake, I bet you wish you could stumble so blindly. Lol

callmefence said:
While going through a very tough two years , several years back, immersed myself in my work. I ran my business during the week and did jobs by myself on the weekends. I kept my mind clear by keeping it working. When blue Sky's returned I bought 50 acres that joined me and I payed cash for it. .....for some reason that don't seem so bad...in fact snowflake, I bet you wish you could stumble so blindly. Lol

Resorting to name calling is weakness of argument personified. It shows you have nothing to offer. Sorry to offend you. Maybe you should walk it off in your 50 acres.

Sincerely,
A snowflake that's worked for everything he's gotten, too.

callmefence said:
Bestoutwest said:
Nesikep said:

It's good that it worked for you, but even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while

Nesikep said:
callmefence said:
Bestoutwest said:

It's good that it worked for you, but even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while

It's gotta get of the teat first...

I'm sorry the thread has gotten so far off track.
It was not my intention to start a war of opinions.I only wanted to point out there are people in this world who could use a helping hand at times and asking people to not forget about them.
I never suggested anyone become an enabler.In fact,I would discourage anyone who did.As I told a neighbor who has a former love interest who keeps coming to him for money,There's a line between helping someone and being a enabler.
Yes,in the end you have to make up your mind to try to help yourself.How it's done varies from person to person.What works for me may not for you.
However letting someone know you care and are there to help if need be is not enabling them.Making excuses for them when they won't help themselves or helping them wallow in their misery is.
Mod 2.If the thread keeps going toward being a bickering argument,please feel free to shut it down.
\

JW, you started a good thread about helping people out, and depression, I don't think you were looking for any one to solve the problem of depression, but maybe looking for some comments on how someone had an experience on helping someone out, but as usual the the same snakes come out and ruin a good thread.

Do you guys have (are you ok) day? Basically we have a day where you look in the eyes of everyone at work and ask them if they are ok, if not it can be the trigger the start of getting help.

Redgully said:
Do you guys have (are you ok) day? Basically we have a day where you look in the eyes of everyone at work and ask them if they are ok, if not it can be the trigger the start of getting help.

Never heard of it.. not a bad idea though, though it should be spontaneous

Nesikep said:
Redgully said:

Never heard of it.. not a bad idea though, though it should be spontaneous

True but having that day puts it in the front of the mind for the rest of the year if you feel something isn't quite right. Just makes everyone aware of the issue.

Seems like this is "beat up on fence" day.
Back on page 5 he said, "Maybe there are some that absolutely are mentally damaged", but this part of his comment is ignored.
There are people who are depressed to an extreme and there are those who think they are depressed and with time and a hopeful attitude could get themselves out of it.
Red Gully made a post on pg. 5 that seems to show both sides of the question. It is worth going back to read it.

Dr. Alexander Elder, a psychiatrist, notes that some alcoholics will not avail themselves to any kind of treatment such as Alcoholics Anonymous until they hit rock bottom. Prior to this they don't want to get better. Some use their problem (addiction) to manipulate others.
Too much sympathy simply encourages them not to take responsibility.

This whole subject is not simply a one size fits all thing.

JW, thank you for initiating a discussion about mental illness. This subject came up at a Christmas Eve gathering last night that I attended. My son was discussing the use of componds to mask and silence genes that cause many types of mental illness. It was fascinating to hear some of the "miracles" researches are working on.

I will preface this by saying, JW, this is not directed at you. Having said that, these threads are not copyright protected. Fence didn't break any rules. He didn't insult anyone. He simply expressed views that other Users don't share. Anyone who thinks they are in control of where a thread goes after the OP has not been around here very long.

It is interesting to watch threads like this where the sanctimonious crowd piles on trying to shame someone who simply has a different point of view.

Bright Raven said:
JW, thank you for initiating a discussion about mental illness. This subject came up at a Christmas Eve gathering last night that I attended. My son was discussing the use of componds to mask and silence genes that cause many types of mental illness. It was fascinating to hear some of the "miracles" researches are working on.

I will preface this by saying, JW, this is not directed at you. Having said that, these threads are not copyright protected. Fence didn't break any rules. He didn't insult anyone. He simply expressed views that other Users don't share. Anyone who thinks they are in control of where a thread goes after the OP has not been around here very long.

It is interesting to watch threads like this where the sanctimonious crowd piles on trying to shame someone who simply has a different point of view.
Ryder said:
Back on page 5 he said, "Maybe there are some that absolutely are mentally damaged", but this part of his comment is ignored.
There are people who are depressed to an extreme and there are those who think they are depressed and with time and a hopeful attitude could get themselves out of it.
Red Gully made a post on pg. 5 that seems to show both sides of the question. It is worth going back to read it.

Dr. Alexander Elder, a psychiatrist, notes that some alcoholics will not avail themselves to any kind of treatment such as Alcoholics Anonymous until they hit rock bottom. Prior to this they don't want to get better. Some use their problem (addiction) to manipulate others.

Thank you Raven and Ryder.
Them pups are going have to do better than that to shame me..lol
I also had to post that broke absolutely no rules deleted. I guess stating a fact about yourself is not allowed if someone pounds on that protest button.

I believe it takes a person who has undergone a little mental evolution to understand what depression entails.

callmefence said:
Bright Raven said:

Ryder said:

I also had to post that broke absolutely no rules deleted. I guess stating a fact about yourself is not allowed if someone pounds on that protest button.

You had no post on this thread deleted by me. That dog doesn't hunt!

Mod2 said:
callmefence said:
Bright Raven said:

Ryder said:

Well 10-4 good buddy. Must have been a problem on my end.

Mod2 said:
callmefence said:
Bright Raven said:

Ryder said:

Your right I found. I would have sworn it was gone. My apologies Deuce. ....in my defense, I was posting and welding at the same time.

alisonb said:
I believe it takes a person who has undergone a little mental evolution to understand what depression entails.

Very logical.

It was an interesting coincidence that last evening a lady took up the lion's share of the evening talking about her sister who is married to a man with mental dysfunction. He is under the care of a psychiatrist but his problems persist. Just dealing with him has resulted in her sister needing a psychiatrist.

My son works in drug development and approval. He gave a thumbnail sketch of how they are using protein compounds that are administered to target specific alleles that are tagged as known causes of specific mental maladies. The componds insert themselves in place of the undesirable alleles and thus suppress the mental illness symptoms caused by the defective genes

Bright Raven said:
alisonb said:

Very logical.

It was an interesting coincidence that last evening a lady took up the lion's share of the evening talking about her sister who is married to a man with mental dysfunction. He is under the care of a psychiatrist but his problems persist. Just dealing with him has resulted in her sister needing a psychiatrist.

My son works in drug development and approval. He gave a thumbnail sketch of how they are using protein compounds that are administered to target specific alleles that are tagged as known causes of specific mental maladies. The componds insert themselves in place of the undesirable alleles and thus suppress the mental illness symptoms caused by the defective genes

Would this be something that could be applied to autism?

Latest posts