Blue Christmas ?

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
No,this isn't about remembering and supporting and supporting law enforcement,firefighters or EMS although I do to the point I'd love to be able to go into the Sheriff's Office or the jail Wednesday and tell some young officer who has little children to go home and I'll take your shift today.
This post is about Depression, plain and simple.
For those who haven't experienced it,it's not something that is a weakness or character flaw.It is a disease or handicap just like any other the body has and hasn't healed from.Too many of us grew up with the idea that some mental illness was result of weakness,self-control,or even,"what they had coming".
At this time of the year,it seems to be more widespread than others.Some,like seasonal affective disorder comes because of the shorter days.(There is such a thing.Studies show it becomes more common the farther you get from the equator.Our Northernmost US and Canadian members will have seen it.
Other things can be a loss,a downturn in one's health, financial situation or a goal that can't be reached.It's worse because "they" have told us everyone is healthy,happy,prosperous and going to Grandma's house for a "Perfect Christmas" with the family complete with snow covered hills and meadows where the kids will ride their sleds.Grandpa will hitch up the sleigh and they'll all go for a ride.All the women get diamond jewelry and the kids get together and buy Grandpa a new expensive rifle or double barrel shotgun all while sitting in front of a cozy fire in the big fireplace. :roll: RIGHT.
I want urge all of us to take a look around us this year.Check on your neighbor,friend,coworker or relative who seems to be forcing themselves to smile,if that.They all need to know they aren't alone and someone does care and understand.If it seems too bad,try to get them to get some help from someone who can.They need to know there is NO shame in doing that.It just shows they know there's something better and they are going to do something to help themselves.
If that person is you,the same thing applies.Doctors,nurses,clergy,even police and first responders are and have been getting training to help people find the right help they need.Here,even in the regional jail,they make a course available and encourage officers to take training in crisis intervention.I will also tell you that more people than you realize truly do understand this problem and some have even dealt and still deal with it.They got help and now you wouldn't know unless they told you.
If this helps just one person or helps someone understand,I'm thankful.

Christmas is a happy and a very sad time. Birthdays...Christmas...holidays, can bring some really sad reminders to many. We used to go skiing every Christmas morning when I was young. One year I watched my mom jump from her car to try and convince a man to not jump off a bridge. He still jumped. I think about that man every Christmas.

Our local pharmacy has an adopt a senior program this year. You can select a senior from the tree and fill their Christmas wish list. I cried reading the lists. Really hit me...

Good post JW, it always seems around holidays are tough times for alot of folks, you always seem to remember memories when you were younger and had your parents and grandparents around and the good times we had back then, the saying its better to give then receive has alot of truth to it, we just have to learn how to do it beyond holidays.

haase said:
Good post JW, it always seems around holidays are tough times for alot of folks, you always seem to remember memories when you were younger and had your parents and grandparents around and the good times we had back then, the saying its better to give then receive has alot of truth to it, we just have to learn how to do it beyond holidays.

You are exactly right.

Well said!

I never quite "got it" either, until I had it.. it's kinda humbling to find out how wrong you had been before.. there's no pulling yourself up by the boot straps, etc

Might help people's depression if they were to remember the real reason for Christmas isn't the gifts, or the tree, or even being with family in a cozy house. It's all to remember that single solitary life, that came to bring joy to the heavy hearted, and to be a friend to some poor lonely lost soul. He is all you need to find joy.

JW many thanks for an awesome post. I was hospitalized and treated for clinical depression in 1989 for two weeks. Have only had one short experience with it since but still take medication. Use to visit service clubs etc often and tell them much of what you just posted to try and spread the word. Again, many many thanks. :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

If you put your stock into worldly things, it is depressing.. if you know Jesus Christ, you know the battle has already been fought and won on YOUR behalf.. I find my comfort in that..

"For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death."
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭7:10‬ ‭

TexasBred said:
JW many thanks for an awesome post. I was hospitalized and treated for clinical depression in 1989 for two weeks. Have only had one short experience with it since but still take medication. Use to visit service clubs etc often and tell them much of what you just posted to try and spread the word. Again, many many thanks. :clap: :clap: :tiphat:
You are more than welcome.
I,too,know from experience what it's about and how people feel until they find out.My family has helped me a lot over the years and I am grateful.
I've been able to help a few at times and only by having had to deal with it could have been a help.

schamblee said:
If you put your stock into worldly things, it is depressing.. if you know Jesus Christ, you know the battle has already been fought and won on YOUR behalf.. I find my comfort in that..

"For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death."
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭7:10‬ ‭

I will agree with you but with this addition.
For those who have not placed their priorities where they should, are disappointed in the outcome and saddened for a while,yes.
For those who have a predisposition for the disease,it's still true and can be a great comfort.But their amount of faith or lack thereof isn't all that got them to that place.Just like any other inborn handicap,most depression is just that.
Please don't think I am saying faith has nothing to do with or for it.For my part,my belief and faith has caused me to want to press on at times when I could have easily sunk deeper.And,I'm thankful for the help,relief and healing I've gotten.

For some, faith will help a lot, and then it won't for others, or won't help enough.. It's a condition that's unlike any other, where you look fine, and might even feel fine, most of the time, but there's no willing yourself better... Unlike mental issues like epilepsy, schizophrenia, etc.

For me, understanding the causes, the biology, genetics, etc of it has helped a lot.. this video in particular.. an hour well spent
https://youtu.be/NOAgplgTxfc

Biggest thing is were your heart is, doesn't matter how much you have, it's how you can help when you can help, a little bit goes along way, remember a song ,never seen a hearst with a luggage rack.

There are lots of folks, myself included, who are total non-believers in any of the current religions or any of the ancient religions for that matter. I don't confess that to start a religious debate, I say that because I doubt depression is anymore prevalent among atheist than among theist. Not subscribing to any of the world religions has nothing to do with depression. In fact, many years ago there was an article in a psychology journal about how prevalent depression was among Catholic Priests. The article explored whether it was due to the type of people attracted to priesthood or the lifestyle.

haase said:
The thread had nothing to do with religion, thanks for bringing it in, probably get another good thread shut down. 👍

My good friend Sim Ang King stuck his nose under the tent. IMO, no harm has been done. Three posts followed Sim Ang King's lead. There was an implication that somehow depression is related to religious fulfillment. I simply disagree.

Sim Ang King posted:
Might help people's depression if they were to remember the real reason for Christmas isn't the gifts, or the tree, or even being with family in a cozy house. It's all to remember that single solitary life, that came to bring joy to the heavy hearted, and to be a friend to some poor lonely lost soul. He is all you need to find joy.

Bright Raven said:
haase said:
The thread had nothing to do with religion, thanks for bringing it in, probably get another good thread shut down. 👍

My good friend Sim Ang King stuck his nose under the tent. IMO, no harm has been done. Three posts followed Sim Ang King's lead. There was an implication that somehow depression is related to religious fulfillment. I simply disagree.

Sim Ang King posted:
Or , be a friend to a stranger

So why open the the door any farther it takes a bigger man to leave it alone, and stick to what JW is talking about, a big problem that has to do with people that have serious problems, and other people that enjoy helping them out and doing what they can, nothing more.

Latest posts