Blood pressure is high again, tuff choices ahead.

Help Support CattleToday:

my BP is up today. How do I know you ask. That vein in my temple is throbbing right now. I don't take any meds. mine is usually 110/75.

Are they checking your BP with a regular cuff and scope or are they using the electronic cuff? I have noticed when the electronic one is used on me my BP is higher, but when they use the regular cuff and scope it is lower.
If they are checking it twice are they switching arms?

From my experience I would rather have a little high blood pressure as too low.

ive had high BP for years and been on meds for years.and my BP is down where it should be.i weigh between 240 and 220 most times.my dr never tells me to loose weight.been told to loose weight for my knees.

Dogs and Cows":2qvixjp2 said:
Very timely thread...I just went on lisinopril this week. My BP went up and I had to monitor it for 3 weeks. Didn't go down, how I'm on meds. I hate it already. Doc said I was in great shape, I'm not heavy, just said I was getting older...heck, I am only 46! But I will take it seriously. Hope all on this thread are well!!!

Tim

It's not always related to weight or age. My father got drafted (He was born in 1930, so that would have been in the late 1940's), but they let him go because his was high then already.

Take it from one who has been there and done that. It is easier to control your Blood pressure now than if you have to have a by-pass or stents. Of course if you are retired and don't need to get up and work, go ahead, but when you are out of action for 6 weeks, and have your wife alternating between babying you and chewing on your butt, the fences need fixing and there are animals to feed, and the truck is broke down, remember that you had your chance to avoid it all by taking care of yourself.
I still eat what I want mostly but in moderation. I watch my kidneys and my blood sugar and I can still do a good days work for a 64 year old.
Listen to your Doctor and your wife. Your family needs you around for awhile longer.

Fire Sweep Ranch":jqx2fn9j said:
You all are a bunch of old farts! :lol: :lol2: :nod: :tiphat:
Can't deny that but I guess I've been lucky. Blood pressure is still consistently around 120/84 give or take a couple of points.

Usually around 130/75 for me. Not bad for an old fat man. And my cholesterol is pretty good too. I think Budweiser flushes it out.

I had my Doctor visit on Monday of this week.
121/72
Pulse 51 bpm.

My blood work is the 28th. My doctor is female. She spends at least 40 minutes with me during my annual visit. Very good sense of humor.

inyati13":23sqk4zm said:
121/72
Pulse 51 bpm.

My blood work is the 28th. My doctor is female. She spends at least 40 minutes with me during my annual visit. Very good sense of humor.

So was it 2 minutes of a prostate exam and then 38 minutes of counseling and consoling afterwards? :)

I take my BP every morning, and recently it has been running high. I called the Dr. and got her stirred up, talked about more meds, watch what I eat, that sort of stuff. It really bothered me because the B P had been doing so well before Christmas.
So I went in and took my automatic cuff and we compared it with the Dr's old manual style and low and be hold- My automatic cuff was reading 30 points high. Don't know why, except that my grand kids were here over Christmas and they may have fixed it for me. They are good to help me like that. LOL The only one who puts my tools and stuff back is the little girl and she is heck for cleaning at 2 years old.

AllForage":mrowbtmg said:
inyati13":mrowbtmg said:
121/72
Pulse 51 bpm.

So was it 2 minutes of a prostate exam and then 38 minutes of counseling and consoling afterwards? :)

Ryan, my physical and medical state is outstanding. It is my moral health that she worries about. :D To answer your question, yes she does a lot of counseling. Getting someone as forthright as I am must be a challenge.

AllForage":3g1ki3dc said:
inyati13":3g1ki3dc said:
121/72
Pulse 51 bpm.

Probably 30 minutes for Ron to "clean the place up" after the "finger wave". :mrgreen: :hide:

Lose the weight. 5 lbs isn't hard to do, heck I lost 35 in 5 months once (and kept it off). It's all about portion control. 1 cookie instead of 3, 1 coke a day instead of 3, switch over to water a bit, lay off the alcohol (if you drink) to some degree, that adds a lot of calories. I kept a log and learned what a real portion was. I don't eat those skinny portions like the box proposes, but I don't eat a whole bag of pasta anymore either. I weigh 163, I'm 5'10" and 32. At 22 I was 195. You can take it off and keep it off if you try hard enough. And just so all of you know, I still eat like junk, just less of it.

When there's a will, there's a way. Medication is not always the way. Good luck to you.

Latest posts