Blanching corn

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had an easier way to blanch corn. We always cut ours off the cob to save space in the freezer. We pick it, shuck it ,wash it and boil it, then put it in ice water let it get cold, then cut if off the cob and freeze it. It takes 4 ever as much as we put up. Any tips for making it faster. Or a different method for freezing it. My grandma would leave her corn in the shuck put it in a pillow case and freeze it that way, she said its fresher. Of course she did alot of things different that we do today.

Per Grandma (and we still do it). Leave it in the husk, put them in a paper bag, and off to the freezer... use within 3 to 4 months.

Works for us.

Blanching corn is only to stop the enzymes and the ripening process.

If canning, it must be blanched.

If freezing, it's not a must because the temps will stop the ripening.

I froze some peas last year without blanching and they kept a year frozen in paper bags.

This is what I do. And our season has just started today 8)
We had our first meal from our own today. :D
In a few days when things get going. I cook up about 3 times what we will eat. Then cut the rest off the cob, bag it in about 1 pound meals. Freeze it, after a month or so we end up with about 60-70 packages of frozen corn. Yummmmm we have corn for the Year until the new season.

Why not":28bkylvm said:
When any of you cook corn on the cob whats your method?

A couple of different methods - 1) submerse horizontally in a large pan of water, and boil for a few minutes, or 2) wrap in saran wrap with butter and salt, and microwave for a minute or two.

We use a large pot, put a few inches of water in it, couple dozen ears. Let it boil/steam a few minutes. We eat it with butter and salt. We are picky about variety. Bi colored Peaches and cream NK Hybrid. For sure! there's a huge difference in Sweet Corn.

msscamp":10mzts0d said:
Why not":10mzts0d said:
When any of you cook corn on the cob whats your method?

A couple of different methods - 1) submerse horizontally in a large pan of water, and boil for a few minutes, or 2) wrap in saran wrap with butter and salt, and microwave for a minute or two.[/quot\\

I have gotten to where I only nuke corn on the cob. I either wrap in plastic wrap or I nuke it together in a zip loc bag. Good stuff.

millstreaminn":1jq4l3mc said:
Soak it, husks and all in cold water for an hour. Then it's 1/2 hour on the grill with the husks still on and enjoy!

Ditto on this method. Ad some garlic butter mixture with a brush and watch it run down the kids arms. I love to watch a kid enjoy a meal.

shuck it, put in foodsaver bags and suck out air and seal. keeps great in freezer and tastes like you just picked it.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":26siy9jo said:
Shuck the corn,put it in the top rack of the dishwasher and run it one cycle.Removes the silk,and blanches all in one step. ;-)
the silk doesn't stop up the dishwasher drain?

Latest posts