Black Vultures Southern Oklahoma

Help Support CattleToday:

dbird33

Reaction score
Background: It seems like I have been fighting off Black buzzards this entire calving season. Last week I pulled up to the pasture and had about 15 harassing a cow with three on the ground hopping behind a newborn calf. That cow and calf were fine, but yesterday they finally got to one of my heifers that must have had some trouble. The calf had certainly been hit by buzzards, but I think they worked the heifer over a little as well (she wasn't very mobile.)

Are other folks having issues with these birds? Has anyone tried to get a permit to hunt them? I'm not sure how strictly killing them is enforced in this area, but their numbers seem to be increasing exponentially lately.

Also heard that hanging dead buzzards around the place will deter them, but not sure how much truth there is to that.

Any input is appreciated.

The county landfill, is not terribly far from my house. That place is a magnet for those things. It's a constant battle here for me. I have even lost a cow that was paralyzed after calving to the things. I put 5 panels around her, so I could feed and water her. Came in, and she was dead but had drug the panels about 100 yards across the pasture in her cripple state. I felt terrible about that one. No doubt, she was going to recover and be fine. I bring them to house now.
I don't have a permit to kill them, but I kill every one I can. They get wise quick to that, and stay out of range. Still a nuisance, just wait for you to leave.
I honestly can't say anything makes a dent in them. Tote off any afterbirth, the cows don't eat helps. That's like preaching to sinners though, because you can't get em all.
The rumor mill says some human disease that we never had before are linked to them. The buzzard, or some parasite on the buzzard is a vector. The state don't like when that question comes up, but they still do nothing to curb the things.

Twenty years ago I don't think you would see a handful of these, it was all turkey buzzards in this area. I remember finding cows that had been in labor for 12+ hours that had not been bothered, but now it seems if a cow has trouble she's a goner along with the calf. My dad has had similar troubles this year with cow's and calves that hadn't had any issues, but 10-15 buzzards would be there hoping between the newborn and the afterbirth making the cow turn in circles. I feel like the population is out of hand.

They are a scourge on the planet. There are a couple of threads on here that you can search for and read about all the trouble we are having. We shoot every one we can. Legal or not. There are some states that are issuing permits, but I can't be bothered. Let them prove I shot them. They will attack animals that are trying to calve, trying to clean up their calf, the calf getting up.... had some go in under a big shed roof and go after the rear end of a bottle calf that was scouring a bit. Ate him from the outside and I had to destroy him. If you do some google on them you will come up with article after article where they are just getting so bad everywhere. Some say hanging a dead one helps, some say hanging an effigy of one helps. Don't have a magic solution.

I luckily haven't seen them in western Oklahoma yet. Call the game warden in a different county and get his opinion before calling your own. I've had good luck with several concerning protecting livestock in Oklahoma. If that don't work, do what ya got to.

ETA:

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/20 ... -ranchers/

A little research makes it look like you're better off not telling a soul.

Big problem here in Arkansas as well. I have a first calf heifer down now after pulling a dead calf Friday. They have attacked here rear end pretty bad so I have been keeping the herd close enough to deter the worthless things. I talked to a game warden a few years back, he stated, unofficially of course, to shoot all of the black headed vultures I see. Stated that because they are proven to attack live animals, I have a legal right to protect my livestock. I didn't take his advice, and now they make up the majority of the buzzards in western Arkansas. I would like to know for sure if I kill one and leave it near the heifer it will deter the rest of the creatures.

T-Wacker said:
Big problem here in Arkansas as well. I have a first calf heifer down now after pulling a dead calf Friday. They have attacked here rear end pretty bad so I have been keeping the herd close enough to deter the worthless things. I talked to a game warden a few years back, he stated, unofficially of course, to shoot all of the black headed vultures I see. Stated that because they are proven to attack live animals, I have a legal right to protect my livestock. I didn't take his advice, and now they make up the majority of the buzzards in western Arkansas. I would like to know for sure if I kill one and leave it near the heifer it will deter the rest of the creatures.

It will don't ask how I know

T-Wacker said:

Never had one survive if bitten by the vultures. I couldn't pump enough antibiotics in it to fight the bacterial infection.
Hope you have better luck.

In the bad old days - - they baited crows in the spring with a large carcass...
Sometimes the carcass was placed on the backside of a hill to keep it out of sight, and allow an easy approach.
This was concerned an opportunity to teach stewardship and marksmanship to young'uns.

Caustic Burno said:
T-Wacker said:

Never had one survive if bitten by the vultures. I couldn't pump enough antibiotics in it to fight the bacterial infection.

I hit her with antibiotics as soon as I pulled the calf, so maybe that helped before the buzzards started biting her. I guess I will find out, going to either get her up or put her down by Wednesday.

T-Wacker said:
Caustic Burno said:
T-Wacker said:

I hit her with antibiotics as soon as I pulled the calf, so maybe that helped before the buzzards started biting her. I guess I will find out, going to either get her up or put her down by Wednesday.
The heifer I posted this about has cleared up. I think the buzzards pecked on her a bit, but not terrible. It took a lot of antibiotics and three trips through the chute. I'm shipping her once the withdrawal is over. Not risking transmitting any disease through the herd when I turn the bull out at the end of this month. It took Micotil and a couple uterine flushes to turn the tide.

Ever thought of running Brahman cows ,case closed. They will all pitch in and help includes coyotes and stray dogs or someone marking a pipeline right of way .... sense of surcuity when you go to sleep lol but tough to handle in the squeeze chute sometimes, oh well life is not perfect

T-Wacker said:
Caustic Burno said:
T-Wacker said:

Good luck, I hate to hear that.sounds like quite a deal

Was feeding Sunday afternoon and noticed a cow off by herself. Sure enough she had a calf. Still semi-wet. I tagged, banded, gave shots, and painted his navel. Got back on the tractor. Within 5 minutes, tops, I seen buzzards. Decided not to go get the truck. Drive 250 yards to her and they're 3 buzzards in the ground and 40 more in the trees or circling. Of course, no gun in tractor (which is about to be remedied). They had almost no fear. I could get to within 15 feet of them before they would fly. Was scared to leave them unattended so I made her and her calf walk up to where the other cows were, hoping for protection in numbers. These buzzards had black heads and white wingtips. And while they may have been here for a while, it's the first time I personally have noticed anything besides the standard red headed ones. I look for them to cause me some problems. I just hope I can cause them some in the process.

JMJ Farms said:
These buzzards had black heads and white wingtips. And while they may have been here for a while, it's the first time I personally have noticed anything besides the standard red headed ones.

The black vultures have always been here. They were described by explorer William Bartram in his 1791 book, Bartram's Travels, which chronicles his travels across America's southern colonies.

Latest posts