Black Vultures - New Born Calf Killers

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Had a calf born Friday morning. I could see the cow at the back of the pasture from the kitchen window. She was in fighting mode and was running at something on the ground. The something was buzzards.
I told my wife that it looks like we lost another calf. We had a new born die last week.
I rode back there to see what was going on. Before I could get there the calf got up. The cow was fighting in a circle trying to keep the buzzards off the calf. 10-12 buzzards on the ground. When the cow would chase one the others would rush the calf. The buzzards didn't fly until I got close. Cow was upset and circling and the little guy trying to nurse. I backed off and headed back to the house. Before I could get out of the pasture the buzzards were back after the calf. Same deal, cow chase one the others rush the calf. When I chased them off this time the cow took the calf and headed to a little thicket in the pasture. I sat there a while watching. The buzzards circled a bit then seemed to have lost interest. I headed back to the house again. When I got out at the house I could see that two of the buzzards were back and the cow was still having to fight.
Took something with me when I went back, one of the vultures experienced and unfortunate incident and the other flew away at that point.
I now am sure that the new born that died the week before was killed by these black vultures. I saw the calf when it was born, saw it get up and nurse then follow his momma. Few hours later I see the cow fighting buzzards. When I get to them the calf is dead but at that time I didn't suspect the buzzards had actually killed it. After what I saw Friday I am certain that they did!!
Quick internet search and I find this is a big problem up in KY, I had never heard of vultures killing a calf but had I not been off work on Friday I'm sure they would have killed this one.

Been discussed on these boards a bunch, usually in the spring when more people are calving

FlyingLSimmentals":4hrbkjqo said:
Yes, they're Devil's worst than coyotes by a large chunk. Drop one of them and leave it in the pasture helps a bunch.

+1

Also make sure they are not nesting close by. Heard of a guy that knows a guy that had a problem with those buzzards and found they had a nesting site in the trees down by the river. Not sure what happen to their nesting site but whatever may have happen to it the problem was resolved. At least that is what I heard.

Here in Kentucky it has been a problem. You can go thru Farm Bureau to get permits for control, I don't remember all the details.

Had a group of 6-8 go after a first calf heifer that had calved down in the field. People staying in the house there, are not really cattle people, but went down on the 4 whlr and saw the buzzards all around and the heifer going around in circles to keep them off. They called me, I was on my way home from testing and went there. Stayed around til the calf had nursed, then momma took it up into the patch of woods headed to the water trough and things were okay after that. Have had them come in under the big shed roof at a farm where I was raising bottle calves one summer, and pecked them in the rear and were literally eating one alive. Pecked out the eye of another...Several of them never managed to fly off with the rest. They are the most hateful, despicable, things there are. They do not just clean up like the naked neck turkey buzzards; they kill.
Look it up on the internet, lots of stories about them. There are several states that are getting them excluded from the exemption so that they can be killed, and some places you can get permits to do it legally...

I had a similar situation about 4 years ago. It is a serious problem. You have to take appropriate action. The action you take does work. My plan is pacification by force.

I just noticed this year in Kentucky, they are staying around longer. The weather is mild.

Land fill, and a roost is not far from my place, so I have several. They get smart to.

farmerjan":z6vuq7yj said:
some places you can get permits to do it legally...

You can get a permit here $100.00 or invite game warden out to your farm they will really clean them up for you. Most of the time they bring other wardens or law enforcement and really put a dent in them and hang them up from trees for you. :) If you want to be legal or SSS works too

Good to know. There is a huge poultry slaughter facility by my ranch. Tons of buzzards all over the place. I had some nest in an old collapsed barn on my property. If I had known they were dangerous that the nest would not have been there long.

"They are the most hateful, despicable, things there are. They do not just clean up like the naked neck turkey buzzards; they kill"

Sounds like someone I live with. :help: :lol: I am glad that I clicked on this thread. HahahahaLOLOL
Now I know who his relatives are lolol :banana:

OleScout":3h2t9aja said:
Took something with me when I went back, one of the vultures experienced and unfortunate incident and the other flew away at that point.
Thank you. I needed a good hearty laugh this morning :cowboy: :banana: :compute:

Have had even crows kill a newborn here. I usually try and hang a couple around the start of calving season, but have seen the little dikheads sitting next to the dead one in a tree. Glad we don't have vultures. Battled them in georgia trying to put stuff in a dumpster.

Latest posts