Black Vultures Southern Oklahoma

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms said:
Was feeding Sunday afternoon and noticed a cow off by herself. Sure enough she had a calf. Still semi-wet. I tagged, banded, gave shots, and painted his navel. Got back on the tractor. Within 5 minutes, tops, I seen buzzards. Decided not to go get the truck. Drive 250 yards to her and they're 3 buzzards in the ground and 40 more in the trees or circling. Of course, no gun in tractor (which is about to be remedied). They had almost no fear. I could get to within 15 feet of them before they would fly. Was scared to leave them unattended so I made her and her calf walk up to where the other cows were, hoping for protection in numbers. These buzzards had black heads and white wingtips. And while they may have been here for a while, it's the first time I personally have noticed anything besides the standard red headed ones. I look for them to cause me some problems. I just hope I can cause them some in the process.
I had a bull calf get the tips of it's hooves ate off by buzzards a couple of days ago. The heifer was laid out trying to calve with about 20 or more buzzards eating on the stuck calf. The heifer and calf seem to be doing alright, a little tender footed and slow but that's all. I feel we were lucky again.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:
Was feeding Sunday afternoon and noticed a cow off by herself. Sure enough she had a calf. Still semi-wet. I tagged, banded, gave shots, and painted his navel. Got back on the tractor. Within 5 minutes, tops, I seen buzzards. Decided not to go get the truck. Drive 250 yards to her and they're 3 buzzards in the ground and 40 more in the trees or circling. Of course, no gun in tractor (which is about to be remedied). They had almost no fear. I could get to within 15 feet of them before they would fly. Was scared to leave them unattended so I made her and her calf walk up to where the other cows were, hoping for protection in numbers. These buzzards had black heads and white wingtips. And while they may have been here for a while, it's the first time I personally have noticed anything besides the standard red headed ones. I look for them to cause me some problems. I just hope I can cause them some in the process.
I had a bull calf get the tips of it's hooves ate off by buzzards a couple of days ago. The heifer was laid out trying to calve with about 20 or more buzzards eating on the stuck calf. The heifer and calf seem to be doing alright, a little tender footed and slow but that's all. I feel we were lucky again.

I'd rather be lucky than good. Their sense of smell must be off the charts. Because they arrive with the quickness of Usain Bolt.

ga.prime said:
JMJ Farms said:
These buzzards had black heads and white wingtips. And while they may have been here for a while, it's the first time I personally have noticed anything besides the standard red headed ones.

The black vultures have always been here. They were described by explorer William Bartram in his 1791 book, Bartram's Travels, which chronicles his travels across America's southern colonies.

Yeah I kinda figured that. But you do know I'm a little slow GaPrime.

I don't understand how all you folks have so many problems with them. Its like I got a no fly zone around me. But we strictly enforce it.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I don't understand how all you folks have so many problems with them. Its like I got a no fly zone around me. But we strictly enforce it.

Implementing an almost identical program starting now.

It works. Don't ask don't tell and never leave a witness. Buzzards can't talk but you never know when some fool will identify as one and claim to speak for them.

We've moved out heifers to the house so that I can watch them all day. We still have problems with them. Basically the best defense is to keep any sign of afterbirth picked up. If the cow hasn't shed it, I wait. They use that as an excuse to call all their buddies in. If its not there, they don't bother with it. SO, my job this time of year is to keep them all out of sight. Knock on wood, its been years since we've lost anything to them...but its a lot of work

Latest posts