Black Simmental as terminal bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

OakCreekRanch

Reaction score
My fiancée and I are looking at the simmental bulls for the terminal calves as we have enough replacements and cannot add more animals anymore! We sell the calves via the sale barns and we wanted to add more pounds in the calves. Is simmental bull a right choice for us? Your thoughts?

OakCreekRanch":2fd1hqzv said:
My fiancée and I are looking at the simmental bulls for the terminal calves as we have enough replacements and cannot add more animals anymore! We sell the calves via the sale barns and we wanted to add more pounds in the calves. Is simmental bull a right choice for us? Your thoughts?

Would be a good choice. Find one with a high Terminal Index and use him.

I'm sorry but what is Terminal Index? We just had the cows for 5 years and only ran Angus bulls (and sometimes the neighbor's sneaky Hereford bull) on them. I must admit that I brought the bulls from the sale barn and use them on our cows.

Great terminal choice. I have used them. Even though I bought them for a terminal cross, I kept some heifers. I was disappointed with their milking ability. Might have just been the bulls I used, because I have seen some black sims posted on here that had good udders.

OakCreekRanch":lfwxkp5e said:

What is your base herd now? That would help with making a breeding decision.

Our herd is mostly black/red angus cows. We brought them from the sale barn so they might have more breeds in the woodpile but they are black and red animals. We also have a black Holstein x dairy cow and a black baldy cow here if it helps with the breeding decision?

OakCreekRanch":1mkcz4sq said:
I'm sorry but what is Terminal Index? We just had the cows for 5 years and only ran Angus bulls (and sometimes the neighbor's sneaky Hereford bull) on them. I must admit that I brought the bulls from the sale barn and use them on our cows.

When you look at the ASA # on the Simmi bull the last EPD is the TI (Terminal Index). The higher % the better.
Terminal Index (TI), expressed in net dollars returned
per cow exposed, evaluates the merit of sires when bred
to mature Angus cows and all progeny are fed and sold on
a carcass grade and yield basis. Consequently, maternal
traits such as milk, stayability and MCE are not considered
in this index.

TennesseeTuxedo":2bgcruzv said:
I'm kinda surprised neither one of you fellas asked the OP what breed cattle he/she has.

Angus of course :nod:

You will want to look for a black continental to put some extra growth and muscle on your calves.
There is a Simi breeder by Harmony that has a good rep..
Some GV breeders in your area also.
Wulf Limi's are over by Morris.

insurman":2ofgz4rf said:
OakCreekRanch":2ofgz4rf said:

When you look at the ASA # on the Simmi bull the last EPD is the TI (Terminal Index). The higher % the better.
Terminal Index (TI), expressed in net dollars returned
per cow exposed, evaluates the merit of sires when bred
to mature Angus cows and all progeny are fed and sold on
a carcass grade and yield basis. Consequently, maternal
traits such as milk, stayability and MCE are not considered
in this index.
thank you for the explanation!

Bigfoot":3taprf1r said:
Great terminal choice. I have used them. Even though I bought them for a terminal cross, I kept some heifers. I was disappointed with their milking ability. Might have just been the bulls I used, because I have seen some black sims posted on here that had good udders.

Yeah. Probably just happened to pick a bull that had a weak milk EPD.
We rarely have a weak milker.
Need something with a higher API.

If you have mostly black cows then using a charolais bull would make some nice smokey calves that will bring a premium at most sale barns. I don't know that I would invest in a live bull with Char, but if you have the ability to do A.I. then I would go char in all the black cows and black simi in all the red cows. That's what I am doing this year since I don't plan to keep any replacements while I head off to college.

Oak Meadow farms in Harmony. You can google them and see some there cows on the net. And don't just use a Simmental for terminal. Them xbred females will raise some babies.

Till-Hill":2cq13qa0 said:
Oak Meadow farms in Harmony. You can google them and see some there cows on the net. And don't just use a Simmental for terminal. Them xbred females will raise some babies.
Thank you! I'll have to look them up on Google. :cboy:

OakCreekRanch":2fqhdpb8 said:

Simms are probly good, I think I'd opt for a Limmo or Saler first.

skeeter swatter":39xeav5n said:
OakCreekRanch":39xeav5n said:

Simms are probly good, I think I'd opt for a Limmo or Saler first.
I had two Saler cows three years ago. Brought them as open heifers off the craigslist. They were good cows, raised great calves but it's hard to work with them in the pen or in the calving pasture without getting killed by these two. Had to use a skidder steer to herd them in the trailer. So I don't know if I should go with the Saler route but I will gladly try a docile Saler bull if we could find one.

Latest posts