Black angus bull to beefmaster cows

Help Support CattleToday:

OvertonAngus

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm gonna start with giving some background info. I'm a small time beef cattle farmer with a cow calf operation that my father and I are partners in. Right now we have a mixed herd of black angus red angus Charolais and char x a couple of Herefords and even a short horn angus x. I run a registered black angus bull also that just turned 2 years old. Pretty much what I did to start out is buy what I could find deals on at the time but now I know what I'm really wanting to try to build up to. Basically what I'm wanting to know is can you take a beefmaster cow bred to a black angus bull and get fairly consistently black calves with a shorter ear? The market I'm in here in southern TN will dock a long eared calf a decent amount. I know that a beefmaster will raise a heavier calf and that will offset the amount that I could get docked at the sale. I've been running this scenario in my head for a little bit now but I know that y'all will be able to tell me more than I'll be able to find anytime soon. Thanks for your info and sorry about the long post.

my experience is that you are not going to knock the ear off in one generation...but those cross bred heifers will make super cows.

I have Beefmaster cattle and before I got a registered Beefmaster bull I used an Angus bull and they would have long ears and probably more sheath than you want. You do have the growth part right the Beefmaster cows always had better calves than my Angus, Char, or other cross bred commercial cattle.

Been eating beef for about 6 decades--never seen 'ear' on the menu anywhere.
Sell your beefmasters to someone that wants to raise beefmasters while the prices are high-then go jump on the BHF bandwagon and start raising Black Angus or Gelbvieh.

yes reg beefmasters are high.there was a reg bred heifer that was id say 45 days bred or more.they wanted $4000 for her and she sold in less than 2hrs.

Thanks for all the replays they have really helped me a lot. I love the looks of beefmaster angus x cows and plan to keep my heifers to put in our herd. I agree with you graybeard I've never seen ear on a menu either. I plan to try to market locally soon and I'm sure that long eared steak will taste just as good as a short eared will. There's a registered beefmaster farm on the other side of town from me and I'm gonna see what his prices are for heifers to start out with. Thanks again for all the input.

OvertonAngus":3yolq7yj said:
Hello all. I'm gonna start with giving some background info. I'm a small time beef cattle farmer with a cow calf operation that my father and I are partners in. Right now we have a mixed herd of black angus red angus Charolais and char x a couple of Herefords and even a short horn angus x. I run a registered black angus bull also that just turned 2 years old. Pretty much what I did to start out is buy what I could find deals on at the time but now I know what I'm really wanting to try to build up to. Basically what I'm wanting to know is can you take a beefmaster cow bred to a black angus bull and get fairly consistently black calves with a shorter ear? The market I'm in here in southern TN will dock a long eared calf a decent amount. I know that a beefmaster will raise a heavier calf and that will offset the amount that I could get docked at the sale. I've been running this scenario in my head for a little bit now but I know that y'all will be able to tell me more than I'll be able to find anytime soon. Thanks for your info and sorry about the long post.

I run Angus over F-1's and the super baldie rings the bell at the barn.
Ear doesn't hurt here.

Caustic Burno":3rzngvv0 said:
OvertonAngus":3rzngvv0 said:

I run Angus over F-1's and the super baldie rings the bell at the barn.
Ear doesn't hurt here.

The great thing about Texas we don't get docked for the Brahma influence. I like my cattle with long ears and extra leather.

Yes and no. I used a BA bull and he did what i expected 1 bred. But he knocked off some ear. But the phenotype of that cow was tight leather medium ear. had he bred Rosie, probably not done anything except a black and polled calf with ear. Phnenotype of cow also plays into it. We will see in January with my Gelbveih Bull does. Ought to be interesting.

image24.jpg
. Here you go...

Alacowman all I can say is wow that's a beautiful calf and is a picture of what I want to accomplish in my herd. Is that from a purebred beefmaster momma and a black angus bull? How old is that calf? Beautiful just beautiful. What part of Alabama are you in? My wife is from Athens.

Beautiful calf. I have five registered beefmaster cows that were bred to my black angus bull and they,too have some very pretty calves that have outgrown the black angus. They are gentle and will come right up to you. I really like the beefmaster angus cross. I will see how mine sell in late November or early December.

Curious (as I'm a newbie) as to why you get docked for ear (which I have taken to mean, just the ears are somewhat bigger/more prominent??) I do understand (I think) that they are presumed to have some Brahman. Why is that necessarily bad? Is it just a knee-jerk matter of wanting conformity?

OvertonAngus":ozoongkb said:
Alacowman all I can say is wow that's a beautiful calf and is a picture of what I want to accomplish in my herd. Is that from a purebred beefmaster momma and a black angus bull? How old is that calf? Beautiful just beautiful. What part of Alabama are you in? My wife is from Athens.
Thanks..she's a bred heifer now, her mom is a commercial beefmaster...reg angus sire..her sister is behind her had her first calf already ..I'm about 40 miles east of Athens ..

Latest posts