BioPRYN (Preg Test for Cattle)

Help Support CattleToday:

I called a place here in Mn about it this summer. You take a blood sample and send to them and they can determine, within 26hrs of receiving your sample, if your heifer/cow is preg 30 days after breeding/calving. (don't quote me i am trying to go from memory, not to sharp the older i get). It roughly costs about $25.00 (kit supplies included). And the accuracy rate is like 97%.

I tried it on 25 of my 45 head this year. Why only 25? Well, taking blood from the tail vein is a bit harder than they make it look, and I was plum worn out after the 25. However, I was satisfied with the results of the 25, quick and inexpensive. I need to some help/instruction on tail bleeding before I try again.

twabscs":18gjz7hd said:
I tried it on 25 of my 45 head this year. Why only 25? Well, taking blood from the tail vein is a bit harder than they make it look, and I was plum worn out after the 25. However, I was satisfied with the results of the 25, quick and inexpensive. I need to some help/instruction on tail bleeding before I try again.

Do you mind if I ask how your cows were restrained, were they in the chute? I watched the video on their website and yes, they make it look pretty easy. I was thinking of trying it this year.

We use it on all of ours when it comes to pulling the bull out. So far it's been accurate every time. We put ours in the chute.

We have also used the BioPryn blood test. The results were 100% accurate on our group last year. Getting the blood samples from the tale vein is harder than they make it appear. We had one cow that we almost quit trying to draw from. Last year was our first year trying the BioPryn, so I'm hoping that as we get some practice, we will get better at it.

We used it for the first time about a month ago on a show heifer, and a former show heifer (cow calf pair). It took me about 30-45 seconds to draw the blood from the first heifer, and it took about 5 seconds to draw from the cow. The show heifer was in a chute, the cow was restrained between two corral panels. They received my samples the day after Christmas (Wednesday) at about noon. On Thursday at about 6 PM, I got the email with the results. The show heifer is pregnant, the cow is not. As soon as the show season is over, I intend to do another test before turning the show heifer out in the pasture.
The supplies to draw 14-15 samples were only $15. I think the test was either $2.25 or $2.50 per sample. The most expensive part was the overnight package (which wasn't necessary, but I wanted to rebreed the show heifer ASAP if necessary, so I didn't want to waste any time).
I definitely plan to use their services again!

I've used them several times and found the results to be highly accurate and the procedure is even cheap and easy. As has been stated one of the most expensive components is mailing the samples.
My cattle are restrained only by a head catch. I wish I would have started using it earlier. Their website says they are also in the process of developing an on-site test.

Glad to see I'm not the only one finding "tail bleeding" tougher than it looks!! Any of you guys got any tips? Probably just a "practice makes perfect" kindof thing....

I've used it and like it. I know what you guys mean though about the tail bleeding. The first time we did it blood just flowed perfectly out of her tail. Then the next it's like we ran the well dry. Was absolutely no way we were ever going to get it full, so we called the company, and it turns out you only need a little more than a fingernail's width of a sample. Of course more is always better, but I guess if you've got one that won't give that is something good to know. Was good for us.

I'm really looking forward to their on site test and will probably try the BVD test they offer if I can learn how to take ear samples... might have the vet come out for a learning experience.

Okay what am I missing here?

I can have the vet palpate em at 35 days and my guess is it would be less expensive than all the testing and shipping and such.

My vet just hired a new young lady vet who is a hotshot with a sonogram and at about sixty days can sex the embryo for me.

Here are a few thoughts:
(1) The preg blood tests cost only $2.25 per sample. The shipping can run from $8 to $40 depending on regular mail or overnight. If you are only testing a few (which is our case), then the blood test is definitely less expensive than a vet visit.
(2) Palpating at 30 days is risky. A less experienced person can cause the animal to abort.
(3) My understanding is that a sonogram cannot be done until after 45 days. The blood test can be done at 30 days post breeding.

By the way, someone suggested to me that instead of using the vacuum tube to pull the blood sample, he uses a needle and syringe. Once he collects the blood in the syrenge, he then injects it into the vacuum tube. If you use the vacuum tube first, and loose the vacuum, it will take forever for the blood to drip into the tube. Also, as stated above, you do not need to fill the tube. Only 2 cc's are needed.

I hope some of this helps.
UncleLA

UncleLA":2cpp1vxz said:
Here are a few thoughts:
(1) The preg blood tests cost only $2.25 per sample. The shipping can run from $8 to $40 depending on regular mail or overnight. If you are only testing a few (which is our case), then the blood test is definitely less expensive than a vet visit.
(2) Palpating at 30 days is risky. A less experienced person can cause the animal to abort.
(3) My understanding is that a sonogram cannot be done until after 45 days. The blood test can be done at 30 days post breeding.

By the way, someone suggested to me that instead of using the vacuum tube to pull the blood sample, he uses a needle and syringe. Once he collects the blood in the syrenge, he then injects it into the vacuum tube. If you use the vacuum tube first, and loose the vacuum, it will take forever for the blood to drip into the tube. Also, as stated above, you do not need to fill the tube. Only 2 cc's are needed.

I hope some of this helps.
UncleLA

second post in this thread listed a cost of 25.00. might have been a typo. 2.50 is a reasonable cost. but you are only gaing five days over when the vet can do it and she should be back in heat for the second time at 42 days if not pregnant. I agree small number might be cheaper this way.

Won't help with trying to have a tight breeding season. we are working toward having all calving done in 45 days. sync and AI one time and two weeks later put a fertile and sound bull with em. they get three heats to get with the program. sell non breeders.

I don't normally preg check til May and we breed at thanksgiving. I need the cow to raise her current calf and we are preg checking to confirm future reservations. I almost always know if I have unbred cows by then though.

I use it ~30 days after AI. Saves a lot of guessing at birthing time as to whether it is a late AI calf or early clean up bull calf.

We have used it for about a year and a half.Neighbors for couple years. Main deciding factor was cost. Our vet charges $50 to pull up to the door, then $2.50 per minute doesn't matter if hes taking a leak, telling a joke or running(walking) back out to the truck to get something he forgot. The only advantage he has over testing is you know right then and there you don't have to wait 4-5 days for results. Of course with the testing you eliminate the possibility of palpation causing an abortion and once you get the hang of it drawing blood is not bad. I usually send in samples in groups of about 15-20 every couple months. Been real accurate so far, and way cheaper.

And then there are people like me who live so far out in the sticks, the vet won't come out here unless it's a life or death emergency (and even then I'm not sure). Certainly not to palpate one cow. OK, I'm different - I just have one milk cow at the moment, but still... The only reason mine got palpated this year was because she was 150 miles away, visiting the bull, and they kept her until their vet could palpate (they waited 90 days to be safe) before we brought her home. They actually have a cow vet in that town! So something like this would be invaluable to me, especially if future breedings are in the neighbor's pasture. ;-)

~Lannie

Any reason the tail vein is what everyone uses for the test? I don't know about the rest of you, but the neck vein is the size of a garden hose and if the cow is in a chute I know I can hit that one. :p

Well obviously for me its easier while they are standing in the tiestall after milking but for beef guys that is a good question, being that most beef cattle are not handled like my milk cows are and tend to be a little lighter on thier feet. Unless the working chute has a shin protector door in back?

I am quite interested in these test. I have a vet who will palpate but hasnt done it often, and i am not sure of his accuracy, and he wants them to be about 60 days along. I have 3 cows, all of whom are hard to detect in heat. Last year i did AI, and none took, but by the time i knew they were open it was to late for me to bred them again ( it would have been to cold for them to calf). I am sending them with a beefalo bull in aug, and would love to be able to test them in sept, early oct. Where do you get the test?

Call BioTracking with the number on their website. They have starter kits for 15.50 or something similar to that price.

Latest posts