BioPRYN (Preg Test for Cattle)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":omvc3j0s said:
Any reason the tail vein is what everyone uses for the test? I don't know about the rest of you, but the neck vein is the size of a garden hose and if the cow is in a chute I know I can hit that one. :p

MM,
That is what the website tells you to do and most of the beef books do as well. I haven't had any success with neck vains on cattle. Fine on horses and goats. Whats the trick? I haven't had any trouble with the tail vein. I am wondering if the trouble is trying to low towards the poopshoot? Is this possible? I go a ways up, still in the bald spot but several inches up. Be sure the tail is straight up and you go straight in a ways. Defonitly until you get it easily us a syringe then put it in the tube. That way you don't waste tubes. When you use tubes be sure that you don't let the suction out or it is basically pointless.
Hope this helps,
Double R

You can get the supplies for alot cheaper than that, I got 20 tubes and needles from the vet. supply store and it ran me under 5 bucks. And you dont have to get the blood from the tail, its alot easier to get it from other places. Those cows get a little testy if you keep jabbing em in the tail over and over looking for the vein.

Double R Ranch":3rgn9yhx said:
milkmaid":3rgn9yhx said:
Any reason the tail vein is what everyone uses for the test? I don't know about the rest of you, but the neck vein is the size of a garden hose and if the cow is in a chute I know I can hit that one. :p

MM,
That is what the website tells you to do and most of the beef books do as well. I haven't had any success with neck vains on cattle. Fine on horses and goats. Whats the trick? I haven't had any trouble with the tail vein. I am wondering if the trouble is trying to low towards the poopshoot? Is this possible? I go a ways up, still in the bald spot but several inches up. Be sure the tail is straight up and you go straight in a ways. Defonitly until you get it easily us a syringe then put it in the tube. That way you don't waste tubes. When you use tubes be sure that you don't let the suction out or it is basically pointless.
Hope this helps,
Double R

I haven't ever had opportunity to try drawing blood from the tail. I presume it must be easier (or safer?) or else it wouldn't be the recommended route. On the other hand, I know I can both IV and draw blood from the neck vein as I've done it enough times. Not sure what the "trick" is; mostly just experience I think. When I can't get the vein I find someone with more experience than me, LOL. I had to run an IV last week and lost the vein half-way through... couldn't find it again and had to get boss to do it as he has way more experience and skill than I do. He said I hadn't been going deep enough that time.

I haven't ever had opportunity to try drawing blood from the tail. I presume it must be easier (or safer?) or else it wouldn't be the recommended route. On the other hand, I know I can both IV and draw blood from the neck vein as I've done it enough times. Not sure what the "trick" is; mostly just experience I think. When I can't get the vein I find someone with more experience than me, LOL. I had to run an IV last week and lost the vein half-way through... couldn't find it again and had to get boss to do it as he has way more experience and skill than I do. He said I hadn't been going deep enough that time.

For me its the oposite. :lol: Everytime I have tried to get a neck vein the cow but a beef cow is a bit different temperment wise than a dairy. They move and throw a fit! Tail vein is easy. In order to do anything with them they are in a squeeze and you just go in behind them and take it. They can't kick when squeezed so its no biggy.
Take care
Double R

Well, dairy cows don't like being poked with needles either. :lol2: I have had a few mature cows that did their best to kill me even for a IM/SC vaccination. Unless it's a cow with milk fever or something else that makes her totally listless... I do IVs in a chute and tie their head to the side so they can't move.

milkmaid: Well, dairy cows don't like being poked with needles either. :lol2: I have had a few mature cows that did their best to kill me even for a IM/SC vaccination. Unless it's a cow with milk fever or something else that makes her totally listless... I do IVs in a chute and tie their head to the side so they can't move.

The head tyin is a good idea. How do you get the vein? On a horse or goat it is almost parrallel to the neck. I tried this on a cow and got nothing. How far in is it?
Thanks,
RR

It's not too far. I use a 1" needle on cows and go in at... oh, no more than a 45' angle. Wouldn't want to go too deep as the artery is under there somewhere. You'll usually hit the vein at about 1/2", sometimes it's a bit deeper. Calves I can use a 3/4" needle on but 1" is easier if you're doing a big IV -- like putting fluids into a dehydrated calf. (Note that dairy animals have less fat than beef animals; it's possible you'd have to go a tad deeper on a beef cow?) The vein is parallel to the neck, same place as a horse. It's just easier to see on a horse.

I like to tie them when IV'ing not just because it's safer and easier, but also because when I have to IV I'm usually putting a caustic substance into the cow... calcium, dextrose, oxytet, sodium iodide, etc... and if that cow moves too much I might ruin the vein by getting the substance outside the vein.

Sometime when you want to avoid doing something like cleaning the house, LOL... try putting a cow in the chute and shaving the area where the vein is. If you put rubbing alcohol or warm water on it the vein will stand up a little and it'll be easier to see. If you put your fingers on that groove to stop the blood flow it's also easier to see; same way you'd do if you were drawing blood on a horse. Another thing that might help you is trying with a syringe that has something like dex or another cheap, harmless substance in it. For some reason it's often easier to find the vein when you're using a syringe, esp one with fluid.

I practice on just about every cow I have opportunity to practice on. Boss had a heifer with peritonitis recently that he had to put down, and I begged for the chance to try hitting the vein before he shot her. A bit morbid, perhaps, but it was one more opportunity to practice my IV skills. :p

Well just as I suspected. I wasn't going in at enough of an angle. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how the next blood draw goes. I have no problem with a tail vein but would like to accomplish a neck vein as well. Thanks
Double R

Latest posts