Biggest Cattle Mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

I figured they were just young bulls that hadn't had time to really muscle out yet.
I sold a 2 yr old bull one time (to a neighbor), that I didn't think was going to work out. Saw it a year later and wished I had kept it. That other year held some big improvemnts in size, depth, length, and muscle.

greybeard":3i7n24mo said:
I figured they were just young bulls that hadn't had time to really muscle out yet. I sold a 2 yr old bull one time (to a neighbor), that I didn't think was going to work out. Saw it a year later and wished I had kept it. That other year held some big improvemnts in size, depth, length, and muscle.

That would be good.

fitz

Friends,(you know who you are!) thanks for the support and back up encouragement. Enjoy your bovines!! :tiphat:
Newbies, don't be intimidated. Do your research and explore. Make your own informed decision.

ANAZAZI":gcxqrueo said:
When I read the title of the post; and then saw the pictures, I was certain that the mistake was to put two sorry androgynous bulls, devoid of any muscle, in with a decent if not good cow. I guess I was wrong then.
Since you brought it up. I too was wondering if maybe he didn't buy them off Craig's List. Been a lot of 'prospects" posted on here lately.

fitz":17nljifd said:
greybeard":17nljifd said:
I figured they were just young bulls that hadn't had time to really muscle out yet. I sold a 2 yr old bull one time (to a neighbor), that I didn't think was going to work out. Saw it a year later and wished I had kept it. That other year held some big improvemnts in size, depth, length, and muscle.

That would be good.

fitz
In my case, it was good for the buyer--not so much for me.

Beef Man":34knjp0n said:
TexasBred":34knjp0n said:
JSCATTLE":34knjp0n said:
I run 2 bulls but one is 2 years old and the other is 5 years old . Funny thing Is I ended up with more baldy calves out of the young Hereford bull than I did out of the older brangus bull . Both tested hot this past spring I guess the young guy like cows more than the old guy .
Hot is important but "quickness, stamina and agility" are important too. :lol2: :lol2: Amazing how often two bulls get to pushing and shoving and while they do this little "sneaky Pete" the third bull gets the goodies. :cowboy:
We also get a lot of that same report"more baldy calves than other--------- sire. Now!! nobody get mad and don't cuss me out, but most horned bulls are naturally better breeders than most polled bulls. It is a fact and my only explanation is that the lord made all original bovines with horns and we changed most all the way we want them. You can only fool Mother nature so much.

Hate to break this to you the good Lord made the recessive gene in cattle that made them polled as well as horned.
Man didn't just wake up one morning and declare polled cattle to be.

greybeard":1ncntl7f said:
I figured they were just young bulls that hadn't had time to really muscle out yet.
I sold a 2 yr old bull one time (to a neighbor), that I didn't think was going to work out. Saw it a year later and wished I had kept it. That other year held some big improvemnts in size, depth, length, and muscle.

That is what they were young bulls and I sold them and wish I would have kept them cause they look good now. I have 3 different places I keep my cattle and was planning on keeping a bull in each place but before I got my fences ready I had all three in the same area. I had one paddock sectioned off with a few cattle which I knew who fathered those calves then the other pasture with all my other cows I had the 2 young bulls and found out that literally nothing was getting bred with them fighting so I sold those and my best bull i had to get rid of while he could walk or limp on the trailer that is then I bought another Wehrman angus bull that is the only one I have today.

greybeard":3orakjjt said:

While I am at it; usually a bull will muscle out fully when he is several years old, but this does not matter much to the profits of the farm. What matters is how much muscle does the bull have at the age his sons gets to the slaughter house, not 18 months later. :2cents:

Latest posts