Biggest Cattle Mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
these guys together in a pasture for too long and now my calving is all out of whack this year. Too much fighting not enough breeding.

Looks like she's been bred... but I hear that you should have an odd number of bulls, and the ages should be varied, so there's a definite "boss"

Only thing worse than having them fighting in the same pasture is having them fighting from adjoining pastures.

And How do you track your calf crop--if some do poorly and some better, how do you know which bull sired which calf?

Got to get in my thoughts on this subject. Turn out a few horned hereford bulls and they'll keep the rest scattered. Sell quite a few to large commercial multiple bull users and thats what they tell us. Never have to ride to scatter bulls if some are ag gresive horned bulls.

You're much better off to put them out in 2-3 week intervals. In other words, put one up in a pen or the corrals. It actually increases your breeding percentage by a healthy margin. You always have a bull resting and a fresh one working with no one fighting.

I run 2 bulls but one is 2 years old and the other is 5 years old . Funny thing Is I ended up with more baldy calves out of the young Hereford bull than I did out of the older brangus bull . Both tested hot this past spring I guess the young guy like cows more than the old guy .

JSCATTLE":3jnikwjb said:
I run 2 bulls but one is 2 years old and the other is 5 years old . Funny thing Is I ended up with more baldy calves out of the young Hereford bull than I did out of the older brangus bull . Both tested hot this past spring I guess the young guy like cows more than the old guy .
Hot is important but "quickness, stamina and agility" are important too. :lol2: :lol2: Amazing how often two bulls get to pushing and shoving and while they do this little "sneaky Pete" the third bull gets the goodies. :cowboy:

JSCATTLE":ddsler4x said:
You not old enough to know that it goes further than it used to?

TexasBred":1rasnd44 said:
JSCATTLE":1rasnd44 said:
Hot is important but "quickness, stamina and agility" are important too. :lol2: :lol2: Amazing how often two bulls get to pushing and shoving and while they do this little "sneaky Pete" the third bull gets the goodies. :cowboy:
We also get a lot of that same report"more baldy calves than other--------- sire. Now!! nobody get mad and don't cuss me out, but most horned bulls are naturally better breeders than most polled bulls. It is a fact and my only explanation is that the lord made all original bovines with horns and we changed most all the way we want them. You can only fool Mother nature so much.

How many of the cows we have today are anything like they were 150 years ago? Haven't we bred certain things out and certain things in that are different? Are the weights roughly the same?

A super lot of change in just 50 years. No the weights and gains are a lot more,for one thing. If we had the numbers and gain ability of the cattle of 150 years ago our country would be short of beef but through advances in genetics and improved management we are supplying as much or more meat from a lot less cows. All to the good but it darn sure does take a bunch more inputs[money] to make it work. Also I wonder if we are'nt takeing a lot of the natural instincts from our cattle. Cold snap,they head for the house,calving time they look for a shed,never been without water,so don't know that abunch of snow will work, Grass gets a little short creep the calves and the list goes on. I do know where there still is some cows that still can survive a whole lot without a human stepiing in .

gimpyrancher":1xwzhhx4 said:
How many of the cows we have today are anything like they were 150 years ago? Haven't we bred certain things out and certain things in that are different? Are the weights roughly the same?
Many many folks have drank the Kool Aid and think that in order for beef to be good it has to have black hair......

CKC1586":1vw620ho said:
gimpyrancher":1vw620ho said:
Many many folks have drank the Kool Aid and think that in order for beef to be good it has to have black hair......
At last we're not drinking Pied Kool Aid like you do.

Taurus":2l1ovxeo said:
CKC1586":2l1ovxeo said:
gimpyrancher":2l1ovxeo said:

That was a cheap shot and uncalled for! Especially when she is correct. Madison Ave and the AAA have convinced America that if it ain't angus it ain't good and even you know that isn't true!

That Pied Kool Aid must be good because it sure goes down smooth. Taurus, how many bull calves do you raise that bring 3K right off the cow?

When I read the title of the post; and then saw the pictures, I was certain that the mistake was to put two sorry androgynous bulls, devoid of any muscle, in with a decent if not good cow. I guess I was wrong then.

ANAZAZI":2gb6pywn said:
When I read the title of the post; and then saw the pictures, I was certain that the mistake was to put two sorry androgynous bulls, devoid of any muscle, in with a decent if not good cow. I guess I was wrong then.
I thought the same thing. I wondered if they got so thin from fighting or if they looked like that when they were put in the pasture. Those bulls may have looked pretty good on day 1, I don't know.

Taurus":gffmn3zp said:
CKC1586":gffmn3zp said:
gimpyrancher":gffmn3zp said:
Well at last another negative comment. Wondered how long it would take. How do you prepare your black hair? You don't know me at all if you think I drink anyone's Kool Aid. I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving. Enjoy your cattle. You never know when life may deal you a lousy hand. :wave: :tiphat:

Latest posts