Big runs at Texas sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Sure and I'd like a root beer float while I wait for my check. I doubt I've ever seen more than $1.90 for 4-5 cwt.

Sure and I'd like a root beer float while I wait for my check. I doubt I've ever seen more than $1.90 for 4-5 cwt.
I bought some in 2014 as high as 3.15 and they made money.
Sold some off the cow that year for over $1500 also.
Don't think we will see that anytime soon.

I saw a report this week that said the nation wide cow herd was at its lowest point since 2014. The Superior "Week in the Rockies" sale 2 weeks ago I see 600 pound weaned steers from Idaho selling for over $2.00 to has much as $2.22. Be interesting to see how well they sell this coming week at Superior in Winnemucca.

I saw a report this week that said the nation wide cow herd was at its lowest point since 2014. The Superior "Week in the Rockies" sale 2 weeks ago I see 600 pound weaned steers from Idaho selling for over $2.00 to has much as $2.22. Be interesting to see how well they sell this coming week at Superior in Winnemucca.
Does that count all breeds?

Does that count all breeds?
No, northern cattle bring a premium. If you want to see what a weaned 600 lb. steer is worth in East Texas check out the sales result of the NETBIO sale in Sulphur Springs. That market will mirror OKC minus the freight differential.

We have an assoc that we have sold through... requires certain vaccs and all... but co-mingles the animals to sell in lots. None this sale but some neighbors sold some. Allows the guy with say 10-20 cows and some nice but different size calves, to get the advantage of larger group prices. 5 wt heifers brought 1.76 and 5 wt steers brought over 1.88. There were 2 groups that brought right at 2.00 I think they were high 4 wts.
Have been watching that the cattle numbers are lowest since 2014. Going to make replacements worth more if the weather gets back to more "normal" and people are looking for replacements. Surprises me so many heifers are still going on feed.

Icanonlywish to get $2.00 for weaned steers.....in Decatur or Athens,Texas, let's hope. Anything 1.30 to 1.80 would be very welcoming about now.
TR> Try logging on to cattlerange.com It will be a Market Summary for week ending 29 Jul 2022. It is a national summary so there is
a lot to digest. It gives the cattle report of all classes as well as hay, grain and weather (drought) summary.
I was just getting ready to look at it and saw the message. I would guess there are others on here who use it and could give you
information pro and con. It is free to view and no subscription so your time is the only investment.
Enjoy the day LVR

All breeds for numbers. Didn't know if it was all beef breeds or just all cows.
That I do not know. It just said the nation wide cow herd was at its lowest point since 2014. I didn't write something down so I could reference the source but if memory serves me correctly it was a USDA site.

I was on the DV Auction site, that comes to my e-mail every day, with Corbitt Wall. There are several articles that are referenced and one I went on had lists for both beef and dairy.
The nationwide "cow numbers" are usually referring to beef... it will specifically say dairy cattle.
But that said, the numbers are fairly similar as far as percentages. Both the beef "cow" numbers and the dairy cow numbers are down about 2% and the lowest in about 8-10 years.
With the sell offs due to the drought, it will dip even a little lower. I expect we will see prices hit or even exceed the 2013-2015 highs because there just won't be as many around to restock with. If there aren't the cow numbers, there can't be the stocker numbers either.
The dairy industry is seeing this a bit now. When sexed semen came out, everyone was using it and there were dairy heifers out the ying yang. Drove the prices of replacemnts down and I saw alot only bring 11 to 1500 a head. It cost about 1500-2,000 to get a dairy heifer to freshening and coming into production and into the barn. Then add to so many smaller farms going out, there were fewer replacements around. The smaller - 100 cow or less -sized herds used to sell a few replacements every year and it was like a "side income"....
Then as the smaller herds were selling out, the bigger herds were finding that they could get more for these "black calves" and the "added value" of beef crosses. So, MANY farms started breeding their top 25-40% of the herd to female sexed dairy semen, and the rest to beef bulls. Added income from baby calves they weren't going to keep.
Now, there are fewer dairies, ALOT fewer small dairies, fewer replacements being raised up. At a few of the dairy sales, the decrease of replacement springing heifers has increased the selling prices to the 1500-2200 range... and they are in short supply. I have heard talk that they are talking 2-3,000 will be the going price. Inputs are higher and farmers are going to buy something that is going to be putting milk in the tank instead of growing out the heifer.... but these heifers have to be born and then grown out by someone....

I think that we are going to see bred heifer prices continue to go up in the beef herds once the "glut" of drought areas and sell offs gets done.
@Dave saw the increases in his "one and done" bred cows that he was buying. I think it is going to increase on most all the breds overall...

Last edited:
Due to the age of a lot of farmer/ranches if they sell they will never go back in the cow calf operation. They might try backgrounds some steers or heifers if the weather and the prices seem right. But good chance stockers like that would be expensive because there would be a shortage because of all of the young cows that went to slaughter.

Due to the age of a lot of farmer/ranches if they sell they will never go back in the cow calf operation. They might try backgrounds some steers or heifers if the weather and the prices seem right. But good chance stockers like that would be expensive because there would be a shortage because of all of the young cows that went to slaughter.
Cheaper to plant pine plantation.