big footed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

evaught

Reaction score
i have a calf that was born a week ago that couldnt get its hind legs to work i finally got the calf strong enough to get up and walk but both back hocks are swelled and still wont work and i noticed today that one of them is cracking open any sugg on how to fix this or what might cause it

Got a picture?

Define "cracked open" and where...

...I haven't ever seen something like this, but would be curious to learn with you on a solution from the folks on these boards.

the skin is cracked open just under the dew claw. i have never seen anything like it either both feet are swelled but only one is cracked

Have you asked the vet about it? I'd like to know what he/she has to say.

Alice

evaught":8lynhcz2 said:
know i havent yet

That would definitely be my next step. It might be good to know to prevent further occurances. And, it might be a fluke...but it would be good to know. I'd sure like to. :)

Alice

they were real stiff and wouldnt bend properly but that part is getting better now she is able to get around but she is slow

Sounds a bit like a calf we have now. The vet came out and we went through all the possible toxic weeds the cow could have eaten and we narrowed it down to purple lupine.
This calf is also slow, couldn't hardly stand and her joints "clicked" and were swollen. He said it is like ruemathoid arthrits.
Heard from the vet yet?
Sounds like you may need an anti inflamatory.

I heard from the vet today he seems to think the tendons are retracted he said it could be because of high calcium levels in the cow late in pregnancy. He told to give it 5 cc of LA200 and 2 cc of banimine for 3 or 4 days we'll see what happens.

evaught":3o8c9khd said:
I heard from the vet today he seems to think the tendons are retracted he said it could be because of high calcium levels in the cow late in pregnancy. He told to give it 5 cc of LA200 and 2 cc of banimine for 3 or 4 days we'll see what happens.

Why the LA200? The bandimine will ease the pain but why LA, does the calf have an infection?
I think the vet grasping at straws here cause he doesn't have a clue.

he said the calf may have to much calcium and the LA is supposed to tie up the calcium and let the tendons work and prevent infection

Latest posts