Big Angus bull x Corriente Cow???

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch":1m1ntmsj said:
Muddy":1m1ntmsj said:
Just give you a heads up, some guys ain't very keen on this cross and they will tell you that corriente calves are worthless. But from what I see, Charolais did add some value in longhorns and corrientes and the buyers will pay a little more for these Charolais sired calves.

ANY beef cross will add value to the southwestern exotics.

The question is why you wouldn't start with a better cow to begin with. The only reason Corriente and Longhorn cattle got popular was because they could live on nothing and walk miles for water. Those with good grass can get a lot more for their grass by raising cattle with meat on them.
They surely didn't pay a little for Angus x LH skunktails...way way get less money than the Char x LH did.

Son of Butch":1zsi3tba said:
Richnm":1zsi3tba said:
I saw some go through the sale for $300 heavy bred to Char bulls a month ago.
Sale barn owner told me after that the calves will wean 550-600
Telling someone a Corriente cow will wean a 600 lb calf is politely called "puffing".

Just saw some sired by a terminal cross bull that weighed 600 straight off the cow. Supposedly no creep or anytthing. The video I saw the calves were almost as big as the cow. I know our half and quarter bloods grow decent. Have never had any fullblood cows but have had breeders who wanted our half blood heifers. We have one who is over a 1,200 pound cow and if we had dehorned her you would never suspect her being a corriente cross. Will wean the 1/4 cross calves off the heifers in a few weeks. They were late March to early May calves and many will wean over 600.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1znlon84 said:
"Just saw some sired by a terminal cross bull that weighed 600 straight off the cow. Supposedly no creep or anytthing."
But, how old were they?
:roll:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ytqdqqe said:
"Just saw some sired by a terminal cross bull that weighed 600 straight off the cow. Supposedly no creep or anytthing."
But, how old were they?

Jeanne without going back to look and not sure where I saw it but thinking they were March/April calves. Our 1/4 bloods on our heifers are from mid March to Mid May and the steer end is for sure around 600. The heavy end which is the oldest is over. The younger end lighter. I've been missing everything so bad on the low side this year and without weighing the whole bunch I can't give an average but everyone says six. The heifers are a little lighter. This was an awfully good summer. Our Jan-Feb calves have done been weaned and sold 5 weeks weaned 5 weeks ago and went over 700. I think it was 767 at the sale. No creep all summer until two weeks before weaning. So the weights many are seeing aren't typical of a normal year.

Jeanne I will add I saw a late Jan Hereford bull calf about 3 weeks ago and knew he was big. Told the owner he was close to 900. He didn't think so. He weighed him and he was just over 9 months by a few days and no creep and weighed 988. This year the rains were timed right. Just enough to keep the grass growing but never washy and the cows and calves all look like they have been on wheat pasture all summer. Like I said these type of weights won't be seen again for a awhile. And breeders of all breeds are seeing it. The summer for some impressive numbers.

The calves and cows this year look like they have been at Bright Raven's. LOL

Mine are the opposite. Weights were lower than normal this year. Although, now that calves have been weaned for nearly 2 months, grass has been super and cows are like Ron's - LOL.
Generally, I like to see 100# per 1 month of age. Not saying I always get that, but that is always the goal.

Latest posts