best buy

Help Support CattleToday:

kjb

Reaction score
I would like to know the best way to buy cattle as far as, should I buy young springers, or older cows getting ready to calf and get one or two calves out of them then sell them. I am just wanting to know the best way to get started with limited funds. thank you for any advise.

Best thing for someone starting out, IMO, is to get a couple of bred cows. Not heifers, not calves and not just one. Its best to have an animal with experience since you don't ~ yet ;-)

Thank you very much, that is kinda what ive heard.....lol

stay flexable. i always liked to buy s/s or b/m 3rd stagers a calvem out.you can buy um around here for $450-600. sell cavles at weaning for almost what you gave for the cow. the ones i have now where s/s about 3 calves ago. going to sell as 3rd stagers in march as the grass gets green.
start small and build up as you go. try to keep everything paid for. there is only one surething in the cattle biz they have to eat so you have to have somthing to feed um. hay,grain ect.

Be careful not to get them too close to calving date. Not everyone will agree with me on this but I think its important that they have an opportunity to get used to their environment and you. You will also learn to read them ~ thats really important. Pay attention to temperment. We didn't with our first, and it was a big mistake (good eatin' mistake, but still a mistake...).

I don't think there is any sure fire way. I have bought about every kind. Lost from time to time. I have just gotten back from the sale today. Bought 12 head of 4 to 7 year old in 2nd and 3rd stage need about 24 more. I have extra hay out side need to get rid of it will feed it and calve the cows and sell them.

Latest posts