Best Breed For Me

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":2ed3rmoq said:
AussieLim":2ed3rmoq said:
The best breed or cross is one that suits your pastures, environment & management & fits the desired market you aim to meet.
For me this is Limousin (Continental) over Angus (British) cows. So many benefits in this direct hybrid vigor with the Limo benefit of muscle.
I have wondered about that cross and others like it in terms of calving ease. Do those angus cows have trouble with calving when you breed them to a breed that produces big calves? I have simangus and I have thought about selling my angus bull and using a PB simmental on them (I can also do that since I AI now) but I worry that I will start having calving problems. So far in 4 years I have given one heifer a little help (my neighbor assisted one of my simangus heifers). I don't want calving difficulties so I have stayed with an angus bull but some of his calvess are not real well muscled.

Granted continentals of any kind are generally a little heavier birth weight than an Angus, however it's the shape & how the weight is disturbed in the calf. Generally Limousins X calves are born like skun rabbits. All legs & length & on average (with the exception of a few modern day Black Simms) Limousin are the easiest calving continental breed.
In my mature Angus cows the only ones we need to pull are breach births & the occasional twin. In the heifers like any breed we use low birth weight calving easy bulls & have minimal problems if you use the right bull.

My advise is to just use them on your mature cows & select Limo bull that has good growth & near to positive CE
Enjoy

Chuckie":bwoxmu4l said:
inyati,
There are several BA cattlemen around here, good ones too. It's just in the water. Tell me if it is one of these initials.
LP, MZ, FP, or TW. Then there is Cottage Farm Genetics.

bse is his username on CT. You could private message him and find out how far you are from him. He has read this thread and would be happy to make your acquaintance. I see very nice cattle along I-25 all the way to Nashville. My son is working on his Ph D at Vandy which is a great institution.

:2cents: I would like for a couple of the FL breeders to chime in on this, Isn't Hook n line and Deisel beef i believe in FL. in Lower Alabama with the heat i am using Beefmaster and going to Cross either a simm or angus on them, you might consider Beefmaster mommas with a Angus or Simm Bull from that region. :welcome:

Latest posts