Best Bait to Catch a Groundhog?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a Groundhog I am trying to dispatch. What is the best bait to put in the trap? Someone told me honeybuns and I caught the barn cats. I saw online to try cantaloupe and tonight I had a raccoon.
What is the best bait to use so I can rid myself of this vile beast?

I have caught them with cucumbers the most but have also used carrots and sweet feed. Make one swipe down the cucumber to let the smell out of the peel. A connibear trap works great where there aren't other critters and you can make them use the same hole. Good luck

SmokinM said:
I have caught them with cucumbers the most but have also used carrots and sweet feed. Make one swipe down the cucumber to let the smell out of the peel. A connibear trap works great where there aren't other critters and you can make them use the same hole. Good luck

Conibear works wonders by a frequently used hole. However, it is non discriminatory as mentioned. We 've grabbed a bunch of them with this method.

Yep...catching the kitties goes with the territory. Usually they've learned their lesson first time around but to re-enforce it, I make a point of scaring the bejesus out of them before releasing. YMMV.

I have had good look with corn on the cob. I soak it in a bucket of water for a few days so that it starts to sour some then use it. I have never got a cat by using that.

Don't know about the best, but have caught them with just some cattle feed in the trap. I reckon some corn or sweet feed might be be the best kinds. Have caught some raccoons that way too, but that should eliminate catching house cats or pole cats. If you know where there holes are and have seen them in a particular area then maybe watch for a good clear shot,

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just had to update.

I had tried everything recommended here and the varmint would not go for any of the bait. It has been over a month now and I had moved on to more pressing matters and just left the empty trap next to one of his or her holes.

Yesterday, my son was visiting for the weekend and he was helping me separate calves. I needed something from the barn and I walked in and evidently startled the Groundhog. He started to scamper and ran right into the live-trap! Needless to say, my son and I took him out and dispatched him after finishing with the calves.

sstterry said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just had to update.

I had tried everything recommended here and the varmint would not go for any of the bait. It has been over a month now and I had moved on to more pressing matters and just left the empty trap next to one of his or her holes.

Yesterday, my son was visiting for the weekend and he was helping me separate calves. I needed something from the barn and I walked in and evidently startled the Groundhog. He started to scamper and ran right into the live-trap! Needless to say, my son and I took him out and dispatched him after finishing with the calves.

YAY for finally catching him and getting rid of him. We seem to do good with watermelon. Also use sweet feed at the barn trap. The cats here at the house will go in the trap for it, but the barn cats don't.

Latest posts