Best Angus Bull for Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

SAV Thunderbird is worth considering. I used him 3 years running on my heifers and had no problems yet they grow like weeds. The Thunderbird bulls sell themselves, always get a few bids at the sale. He is a Final Answer son.

Ken

Thank you all for the feedback
I am surprised that no one mentioned Summit from Select Sires. He looks the part...but his $B number isn't great. (EDITED...I wrote is great when it actually isn't).

Tbrake,
Curious as to why you chose Renown over Resource? I like Chisum myself but haven't used him. Do Right Answer females get fat too easy? I'm assuming they are tough to get bred is they are too fat?

BSE,
I think I have the nicest Angus heifer I have ever had out of OCC Juneau and a Leachman Right Time cow (Coleman Blackbird 256).

wbvs58,
Whenever I look at the catalog I wonder who is better....Thunderbird or Platinum.

Baldie,
I am uncomfortable with the idea of using a clone for purebred cattle. That's just me.

I suspect there will come a time animal rights activist types will create quite a stink over cloned animals showing up anywhere in the food chain.

Or, cloning technology will become substantially less expensive and will become so very accepted that it will almost be commonplace.

Air gator":2qg5m81q said:
I am surprised that no one mentioned Summit from Select Sires. He looks the part...but his $B number is great.

Tbrake,
Curious as to why you chose Renown over Resource? I like Chisum myself but haven't used him. Do Right Answer females get fat too easy? I'm assuming they are tough to get bred is they are too fat?
I chose reknown because what I read on here. Several people bragging on the extra thickness on reknown. I have no personal experience with either bull. Hope I don't regret it. Chisum is awesome. Hope I don't regret not breeding to him this year. Right answer cows gain wait very easily. I will post some pictures of them here when I can figure it out. I had 3 of them in a group of older cows I aied month ago, don't think any of them took. Put heat patches back on them and looks as if bull took care of them

BSE,
I think I have the nicest Angus heifer I have ever had out of OCC Juneau and a Leachman Right Time cow (Coleman Blackbird 256).

wbvs58,
Whenever I look at the catalog I wonder who is better....Thunderbird or Platinum.

Baldie,
I am uncomfortable with the idea of using a clone for purebred cattle. That's just me.

Pictures did not turn out very well. The cows are right answers, going on 3 year olds. Raising a dandy calf. How do they look? Little shallow in the front to my eye, but other than that I like them. Calves are all chisums. Saved an exact brother to the bull calf last year. He is a tank, just turned him out with his first cows this week. Can't tell much now, but I'm excited to see how these chisum heifers turn out

Right answer is another bull that people who have Right Answers like Right Answers.
I like the last one the best I think. He is a Pathfinder king right now. There are some Right Answer cows with sons with A.I. companies now...Can't think of one but I have seen a couple.

Son of Butch":2dnrjqok said:
No such thing as one size fits all as 'the best' - Connealy Consensus - Hoover Dam - Right Answer
could be the best choice for different reasons ... I have to go with Right Answer... bcs it's says so in his name :)
And that's why we used this guy sexed too. Was little spendy but using the sexed ultra semen I'm hearing good conception rates. All our blacks that were not Right Answer we used him on.

http://www.stgen.com/sire-directory/bee ... eef-cattle

Tbrake":23tjkoyg said:
Air gator":23tjkoyg said:
I am surprised that no one mentioned Summit from Select Sires. He looks the part...but his $B number is great.

Tbrake,
I chose reknown because what I read on here. Several people bragging on the extra thickness on reknown. I have no personal experience with either bull. Hope I don't regret it. Chisum is awesome. Hope I don't regret not breeding to him this year. Right answer cows gain wait very easily. I will post some pictures of them here when I can figure it out. I had 3 of them in a group of older cows I aied month ago, don't think any of them took. Put heat patches back on them and looks as if bull took care of them

BSE,

wbvs58,

Baldie,
A few highlights from 2017 Pathfinder report

2015 Hoover Dam 55 eligible daughters 9 pathfinders = 16.4%
added 240 daughters and 22 pathfinders = 9.2%
2016 Hoover Dam 295 eligible daughters 31 pathfinders = 10.5%
he added 448 eligible daughters and 24 pathfinders = 5.4%
2017 Hoover Dam 743 dau. 55 pathfinders = 7.4%

2015 Right Answer 77 eligible daus. 9 pathfinders = 11.7%
added 135 eligible daughters and 19 pathfinders = 14.1%
2016 Right Answer 212 eligible daus. 28 pathfinders = 13.2%
added 217 eligible dau. and 23 pathfinders = 10.6%
2017 Right Answer 429 dau. 51 pathfinders = 11.9%

Last year's 2 rising stars Consensus 7229 and War Party

2016 Consensus 7229 55 eligible dau 14 pathfinders = 25.5%
added 414 daus and 53 pathfinders = 12.8%
2017 Consensus 7229 469 dau 67 pathfinders = 14.3%

2016 War Party 87 eligible daughters 14 pathfinders = 16%
added 153 eligible daughters and 31 pathfinders = 20.3%
2017 War Party 240 daughters 45 pathfinders = 18.75%

We had 2 War Party heifers calve this year and he appears to be a real udder improver.
I think using him on Right Answer daughters will produce some very nice cows.

Butch,
I think you overlooked Connnealy In Focus 4925.
111 daughters, 29 Pathfinders. A whopping 26%.
Of course, he died.

War Party seems to be a bull that flew under the radar.
I think the late KLR angus used him a lot.
7229 may be the best value at stud for $20 a straw.

I really like the numbers of j edger hoover. Anyone have calves out of him? Doesn't seem to have much of a name, but his numbers seem to be very good.

bse":18api96x said:
WMR Timeless 458, I like Right Time in there somewhere which Right Answer has, but for me
I don't want high CED and negative BW in my replacements.
Why wouldn't CED 10 + and +2.5 BW 12 CEM be close to ideal?
I can understand not wanting minus birth weights, but why hate calving ease direct if it comes with plus birth weight?
70 angus sires are ced 8 or better and 2.0 bw or more

New Breed Average ced 7 bw +1.4 cem 9

Pathfinder Future Stars?
WMR Timeless 130 eligible daughters 29 pathfinders = 22%
S Summit 33 eligible daughters 12 pathfinders = 36% (his outrageously high % has to drop by 1/3 when he gets 100 dau)
Coleman Regis 167 eligible dau 24 pathfinders = 14%
AAR TEN X 79 eligible daughters 12 pathfinders = 15%

I think Timeless and War Party daughters flew under the radar because many viewed them as growth/carcass bulls.

Butch,
Help me out. Which bull has +10 CED, +2.5 BW and +12 CEM?
Thanks.

Air gator":2484gwwy said:
Butch,
Help me out. Which bull has +10 CED, +2.5 BW and +12 CEM?
Thanks.
Here's a half dozen that roughly fit that criteria

Stucky Daybreak reg 16623408
ced 11 bw 2.5 cem 13

Slveras Style reg 16427563
ced 10 bw 2.6 (.90) cem 15 with $EN 13.86

Styles Cashed In 58 reg 17869198
cem 10 bw 2.3 (acc .74) cem 14 with $EN -4.87 $B 158

Connealy Spur reg 17304082
ced 10 bw 2.9 (acc .85) cem 10

VAR Xfinity reg 17455084
ced 10 bw 2.1 (acc .70) cem 10

Rampage reg 16925771
ced 10 bw 2.2 (acc .95) cem 10 with $B-184

Woodland Foremost reg 17198358
ced 11 bw 2.5 (acc .76) cem 11 with $EN -9 $B-155

butch
Im going back to trying to make females, im over the number game!! if a bull I like has High CED I can live with that, but from my own personal experience it doesn't work that way. My best bred heifers are Rainmkr 11127(15734469) and In Focus 4925(15491720) ive seen these in production along with Timeless. some of the bulls you listed above wouldn't have enough milk for me to try and make replacements with, and a couple are ok!! Im going to straight sexed semen and try and make the type females that work for me. Heifer bulls wont be used on my mature females.

Latest posts