Which bull to use?

Help Support CattleToday:

whitetail

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions/opinions on which bull to use to AI my mid-frame Shorthorn cows. I'm looking for a bull of any breed but here is my wish list -

Calving ease
Good growth traits
Great carcass qualities (ribeye area and marbling)

Again, any breed and I dont care how much the semen costs. I want to create a composite bull to use on unrelated shorthorn cows. Appreciate the replies!

Attachments

• shorthorn cow.jpg
    shorthorn cow.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 21
I like that cow! There are some good shorthorn cattle in Canada that may be worth a look.

I bought the Shorthorn cows with the plan of having some cattle for the grandkids to show but they arent interested so I am just raising freezer beef to sell locally. I want quality beef, thus the interest in the carcass traits but I also want the calves to be born unassisted and grow good.

Are all your cows roans? A solid red shorthorn bred bred to a black Angus makes solid black calves that will sell well commercially if you need to go that way. I think that would also meet your requirements for freezer beef.
If your cows are mostly roan that cross will give some blue roans, to my mind one of the best looking mama cows you can find.
Unfortunately, the white from the roans is hard to get rid of and they take a knock at the yards.

I agree about your cow and calf, really nice!

My dad and I raised shorthorns before he died in 2000 . That's a beautiful pair ! If you are in the north I'd stay with shorthorns. But if you are south I'd get some black in there . Angus , brangus or black simental . Calving ease bulls in all 3 and hybrid cross should take care of the other . Blue roan ( actually black roans) are beautiful cows . Can't beat the milking and mother ability of a shorthorn cow in my book .

I am looking for suggestions/opinions on which bull to use to AI my mid-frame Shorthorn cows. I'm looking for a bull of any breed but here is my wish list -

Calving ease
Good growth traits
Great carcass qualities (ribeye area and marbling)

Again, any breed and I dont care how much the semen costs. I want to create a composite bull to use on unrelated shorthorn cows. Appreciate the replies!
If you are raising replacement heifers, or steers and heifers to sell at weaning or to sell as freezer beef, use Angus, Brangus, or a homo for black and polled Simm. If you are going to raise a replacement bull, then use reg Shorthorn. You do NOT want to use a crossbred bull. How many cows do you have to breed each year?

create a composite bull to use on unrelated shorthorn cows.
Bull buyers look for different things. Some it's color and price and for others it might be birthweight and carcass merit. Could be a hard market to target.

I am just raising freezer beef to sell locally. I want quality beef, thus the interest in the carcass traits but I also want the calves to be born unassisted and grow good.
I would consider DNA testing your cows. It will show how much marbling and ribeye each cow has. Then you can determine how much marbling and ribeye your bull will need.

If you can find semen... Gardens Wave, AAA#13818764 .
Short of that, look at some of the sires currently available from Green Garden Angus.

Personally, I'd come back on top of that cow with the Rob Sneed '034' Shorthorn bull - ASA #4078267 .
But... I have semen in the tank.

If you don't care about horns or brindling... the great fullblood Braunvieh sire Silverwood Dragon 4Y, OB3578, left some great daughters here.