Best Angus Bull for Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Alap is really good at cleaning up udders and making extremely feminine daughters that are slick hided...his son's are usually middle of the road or worse, depending on where you think the middle of the road lies. If you are breeding strictly for building your herd, he might be a good choice. Interestingly, one time when i was visiting his owner, David Freeman, i got to sleep with Alap, who was stuffed from the neck up in the basement. ;)

Oliver family angus has used Alap successfully to create some drop dead gorgeous, southern adapted true black angus cattle. Ed was one of the only true breeders i've ever had the pleasure of meeting, line-breeding past the point most would dare to go. His cattle have tremendous prepotency, and are best suited to moderate and feminize inefficient herds of terminal and oversized, ill-adapted cattle. I've had the fortune of buying bulls and heifers from Ed before he passed, and have also become good friends with his son Spencer, who is there now carrying forth the breeding legacy Ed began almost 40 years ago. Ed was one of the great students of the Graham Angus program in Albany,GA, before they took a turn for the mainstream in the 80's breeding for numbers. Then he became a student of the Wye Herd in Maryland, and built his legacy around those closed breeding programs. I miss Ed's wit and honesty, but I see his mark on the world every time i check on my cows, and I know how pleased he is to see the continued progress made in his life's work on his pastures.

One's selection for a bull for replacement heifers has a lot to do with one's environment and forage/feed program. A lot of the popular bulls i've seen mentioned here, raised in cooler, hard grass environments, just don't flourish in my low input, hot humid Ga neck of the woods. They certainly might on other farms.

For the people for like Hoover dam, how do the bulls/steers grow? I see his yw is only around 85. How are his calves attitude? Chisum calves I have are almost to calm. Can't load them, can't shooo them. Just want to stand there and look at me.

Son of Butch":31ek1xyp said:
Air gator":31ek1xyp said:
Butch,
Help me out. Which bull has +10 CED, +2.5 BW and +12 CEM?
Thanks.
Here's a half dozen that roughly fit that criteria

Stucky Daybreak reg 16623408
ced 11 bw 2.5 cem 13

Slveras Style reg 16427563
ced 10 bw 2.6 (.90) cem 15 with $EN 13.86

Styles Cashed In 58 reg 17869198
cem 10 bw 2.3 (acc .74) cem 14 with $EN -4.87 $B 158

Connealy Spur reg 17304082
ced 10 bw 2.9 (acc .85) cem 10

VAR Xfinity reg 17455084
ced 10 bw 2.1 (acc .70) cem 10

Rampage reg 16925771
ced 10 bw 2.2 (acc .95) cem 10 with $B-184

Woodland Foremost reg 17198358
ced 11 bw 2.5 (acc .76) cem 11 with $EN -9 $B-155

I looked up Rampage's reg. Do you consider docility at all? Our herd are easy to work and handle. I know there is a bit more to factor than simply genetics but some cattle are just stubborn and psycho. Doc isn't extremely important to us when looking at EPD's but I feel that would be enough to steer us away. Any feedback on their nature?

I have a rampage son at home being used for cleanup and he is an absolute puppy dog. Can scratch him on the head anytime. I've been around many others and they've all been okay in my opinion. And I don't put up with crazy ones. His EPD for that trait has not followed what I've seen from his calves much, in my experience.

Latest posts