beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

tiger hunter

Reaction score
i have a chance to buy some beefmaster heifers want are the pros and cons about beefmaster cattle? before any one thinks about color these are all solid dark red.i hear it is common for them to prolapse that is my concern. i need a beefmaster expert. going to use a charolais bull on them.

I really like the Beefmaster breed. The cows tend to be able to get a little big for my operation. I run a beefmaster ball and have really liked the calves
out of him on my cross bred mongrel set of cows.

I like the charlois bull on them. I think it's an excellent choice. It'll bring the ear up, and a lot of the leather off. I think they are excellent milkers, but what eared cow ain't. Personally, I don't think they prolapse any more than any other breed. Atleast that is my experience. I've always heard that they did.

They will make good momma cows...but put a different bull on them that will clean up the spots (if they have the spotter gene) take a bit of the ear and leather off. We have about 20 commercial Beefmaster/cross cows with a 75/25 (really 80/20) Simbrah on them and all but one are solid color (the only one that is not has white socks on her back feet). Have had about a 90 lb advantage at the sale barn just by getting rid of the Beefmaster bull and putting the Simbrah on them.

Beefmaster cattle are good cattle. As stated earlier heavy milker's and can get very big in size. They are calm for the most part. The beef taste great and is very tender, but other factors may play in that also. Color wise you may have too watch which one will throw those painted calves, some frown on them, but if you are using Charolais I don't think it would too much matter.

A guy I know in TX runs Charolais bulls on Beefmaster cows and is very pleased with the calves, and he likes the big pay check he gets from the sale barn when the calves are sold.

My knowledge of Beefmasters is pretty limited, however a man I know that is in the Beefmaster business cautioned me that many of the show oriented Beefmaster breeders have bred much of the functionality out of their cattle as they put most of their selection pressure on pretty cattle for several generations.

UG":jxsgabtc said:
A guy I know in TX runs Charolais bulls on Beefmaster cows and is very pleased with the calves, and he likes the big pay check he gets from the sale barn when the calves are sold.

My knowledge of Beefmasters is pretty limited, however a man I know that is in the Beefmaster business cautioned me that many of the show oriented Beefmaster breeders have bred much of the functionality out of their cattle as they put most of their selection pressure on pretty cattle for several generations.
i believe that, not only the show folks either

i have had reg beemasters for 6yrs.an i havent had any prolapses.nor have we had any on the beefmaster crosses.

We have run only purebred, registered beefmasters since 2003...

We have had a total of 1 prolapse to date... and we culled her instantly.

I raise'em frame size is no longer an issue in my parts, Both in a terminal and pure bred operation they will do great. Paints are almost no existant now. Terminal with a Char will really ring the bell in the south. very docile cattle, easy as pie to work. They tend not to try and through you over the pens.

I am trying a Angus on them this year, My local barn loves em black with 1/4 ear. Next year I am going for a Gelveih for a Southern Balancer.

Latest posts