Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I've always liked Beefmaster cattle and I've pretty much decided to add a few to my herd and see how they do.

I have a couple questions before I take the plunge though.

What's the average mature size of Beefmaster cows? I like smaller cows and typically shoot for something about 13-1400lbs

And how easy keeping are they? I don't wanna make anyone mad so I won't list breeds but let's just say I've had some other larger frame breeds that would consume a lot more feed to stay in condition that the British breeds.

From what I have seen of them here in Ky which isn't a lot, they look consistent with the ranges of most others size wise. I bought a Beefmaster bull a couple years ago, the fellow showed us his cows as well and they looked to me to be no bigger framed than our average Herefords. Those cows were more moderate framed than the few Santa Gertrudis we have. We have one Beefmaster cow that probably weighs between 1400-1500 and she always weans off one of the heaviest calves.

Have you noticed them being any harder keeping?

Or consuming a lot more feed? In the past it seems like our heavier cattle stood at the hay ring all day while others were chewing their cud. I don't wanna end up with 3 cows that eat as much as 5 British type cows.

kentuckyguy said:
Have you noticed them being any harder keeping?

Or consuming a lot more feed? In the past it seems like our heavier cattle stood at the hay ring all day while others were chewing their cud. I don't wanna end up with 3 cows that eat as much as 5 British type cows.

Honestly I can't quantify much difference, as most of our Hereford or Angus cows are similar sized. Most of our mature cows are going to be from around 1300-1500 with a couple larger. Our Brahman influenced cows are typically not on the heavier end of that with the exception of a couple big Gert cows. I have some fall yearling heifers a Gert and a Hereford Beefmaster cross heifer. The Hereford BM cross is much easier fleshing than the Gert, or even most of the British breed ones.

I've owned quite a few including a registered group I traded some work for a decade or so back. Kept some replacement s out of them an Angus and brangus bulls that are still here and have been some real good cows. 1400 pounds in a a pretty good size cow here. And beefmaster tend to be big soggy type cows. Not as rank as other bramhan influenced types.
Real smart cattle and tend to hide their calves.
I definitely wouldn't consider them high maintenance. For the amount of flesh they carry just the opposite. They do in my experience tend to have a tendency to bad oversized tits. Good cows to run with a Angus bull.. :2cents:

Everything Fence said goes with what I have seen. I have about 10 of them. Wish I had more but they don't come through the sale barn very often around here unless they are wore out. Mine are easy going, easy to take care of. I wouldn't know if they need more feed or not since all mine get the same (none) and have to make do with the hay that gets rolled out.

They do hold their condition well when things get tough. They are not fly magnets like some animals are. Mine are bred to Angus or limo. The calves will have the appearance of 1/8 to 1/4 ear. As mentioned their teats can sometimes get big and they sometimes take a little longer before they have their first calf but after that they will produce consistently for a long time. Rarely will you see one in the pond like the black hided cows. Try to stay away from the painted ones.

Out of curiosity why do you recommend staying away from the painted up ones?

kentuckyguy said:
Out of curiosity why do you recommend staying away from the painted up ones?

I can't speak for Birddog, but a neighbor used to run Beefmaster bulls, some were painted up with mixed cows. The resulting calves were pretty colorful.

I agree with all that's been said in this thread. They can make some great, low-maintenance cows. You can crossbreed them several different ways and get a good calf. Around here if you have painted up calves through the sale barn, they will get docked pretty good tho.

My family runs Beefmaster cattle. The only thing I have to say bad about them is they can be pricey to get in the game. Other than that they are low maintenance, pretty easy going, and can raise some big calves.

If you pick around thru them you can get some that are not very big.

What the others have said on the painted up ones. They tend to have painted up calves when the market prefers solid colored animals. Also what Brute said about the price is the reason I don't have more.

Here is one om my better ones with a Angus bred heifer calf 5 1/2 months old

This is our 7 year old Beefmaster cow, before she calved this year. Her calf by a Hereford bull,is now about a week old and it's a miracle that it was able to nurse as her udder is low and teats are huge this year. She has been one of my best cows, but likely won't let her calves out again due to the udder.

This is her Angus calf from last year before it was weaned.

For those interested in Beefmasters, have a look at Australia's Droughtmasters. They are a similar Brahman composite breed that has been around for a while here and have a fairly consistent phenotype and are very successfull in the tropics and subtropics and are noted good doers in pretty tough conditions.
https://www.droughtmaster.com.au/

Ken

wbvs58 said:
For those interested in Beefmasters, have a look at Australia's Droughtmasters. They are a similar Brahman composite breed that has been around for a while here and have a fairly consistent phenotype and are very successfull in the tropics and subtropics and are noted good doers in pretty tough conditions.

Ken

How much to send me some to Georgia Ken? I'm in a minor drought now! I need some droughtmasters.

Ky hills said:
This is our 7 year old Beefmaster cow, before she calved this year. Her calf by a Hereford bull,is now about a week old and it's a miracle that it was able to nurse as her udder is low and teats are huge this year. She has been one of my best cows, but likely won't let her calves out again due to the udder.

This is her Angus calf from last year before it was weaned.

It looks like she raises a nice calf. It's a shame when they run into trouble like that. I just hauled off one of my favorite cows cows last week. She was a big 16 year old Brangus I raised. She raised one of the best calves every year, but her bag got to where it was so low her calves started having trouble latching on and nursing when they were born, and we had to help them get latched on or supplement them until they could on their own. She was good to let us work with them and they were good after the first few days, but it got old having to worry with that, and only gets worse with time.

JMJ Farms said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

How much to send me some to Georgia Ken? I'm in a minor drought now! I need some droughtmasters.
Semen should be available.

Ken

76 Bar said:
Is poor udder suspension and teats common with Beef Masters?
I seen some,and had some..but it's not common..it mostly stemmed from the bred ups ..it sure wasn't bred in..a lot of commercial Brahman cross cows were used in the breeding up program..

Thanks for the response. Never used Beefmaster's but nonetheless greatly admire Lasater's philosophy. Figured he'd be appalled by poor udders/teats.

Latest posts