Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes 50/50 but can be higher brahman %age. Shorthorn is predominant British breed used but others including Hereford have been used in the development. I find they are a lot softer than Santa Gertrudis..

Ken

Ky hills said:
From what I have seen of them here in Ky which isn't a lot, they look consistent with the ranges of most others size wise. I bought a Beefmaster bull a couple years ago, the fellow showed us his cows as well and they looked to me to be no bigger framed than our average Herefords. Those cows were more moderate framed than the few Santa Gertrudis we have. We have one Beefmaster cow that probably weighs between 1400-1500 and she always weans off one of the heaviest calves.
How do the beef master bulls crossed with angus and black baldies come out looking like do they have the floppy skin and big ears that hurts the price of the calf in our part of the world. Kentucky I mean.

Cress27 said:
Ky hills said:
From what I have seen of them here in Ky which isn't a lot, they look consistent with the ranges of most others size wise. I bought a Beefmaster bull a couple years ago, the fellow showed us his cows as well and they looked to me to be no bigger framed than our average Herefords. Those cows were more moderate framed than the few Santa Gertrudis we have. We have one Beefmaster cow that probably weighs between 1400-1500 and she always weans off one of the heaviest calves.
How do the beef master bulls crossed with angus and black baldies come out looking like do they have the floppy skin and big ears that hurts the price of the calf in our part of the world. Kentucky I mean.

Not all Beefmasters have floppy ears and skin. Pic thru and find ones that fit your operation.

I dont see the point in buying BM bull to make terminal calves. The females could be used with an Angus bull or something to go terminal. A BM bull would be used to make crossbred replacements IMO.

Cress27 said:
Ky hills said:

We haven't had very many but ours haven't had much ear, maybe a little bit of navel area but not really any more than some individuals of non Brahman breeding. What we have had has sold with other Angus and Angus cross calves.

I'm looking for terminal calf's to sell. I had always heard they grow off huge calf's and heavy weaning weights. I'm looking for more pounds at weaning without losing the premium price. But aren't we all lol

Cress. You might be better off breeding Charolais. With Beefmasters you will have some calves with some ear, some will not have much but enough will that your average will not be better than something that produces big calves with no Brahman influence.

bird dog said:
Cress. You might be better off breeding Charolais. With Beefmasters you will have some calves with some ear, some will not have much but enough will that your average will not be better than something that produces big calves with no Brahman influence.

I agree I've just heard horror stories about big calves and where I just bought a farm and needing the calf's on the ground to make the payment just scares me a little

Cress27 said:
bird dog said:

I agree I've just heard horror stories about big calves and where I just bought a farm and needing the calf's on the ground to make the payment just scares me a little

I used to have registered Charolais, hard to beat them for growth. they can be relatively easy calving or some can be nightmares. As bad as it pains me to say it, all in all hard to beat a good Angus bull. They are usually good calving and lively calves, do sacrifice some growth but a live calf is worth a lot more than a dead one. We use Herefords quite a bit too because we like the overall disposition of them best, and the ones we have used have calved very comparable to Angus with a little more growth. The ridiculous Hereford dock at the market negates the positives though.

There's more variation in the beefmaster breed than any I know of. Stick with the true lasater beefmaster or choose a different breed imo

If you want some just to. have them, do it. You'll like em.
If you want some to make money, cross with your English cows and keep the heifers.. I agree about the Lasater lines

Ky hills said:
Cress27 said:
bird dog said:

I used to have registered Charolais, hard to beat them for growth. they can be relatively easy calving or some can be nightmares. As bad as it pains me to say it, all in all hard to beat a good Angus bull. They are usually good calving and lively calves, do sacrifice some growth but a live calf is worth a lot more than a dead one. We use Herefords quite a bit too because we like the overall disposition of them best, and the ones we have used have calved very comparable to Angus with a little more growth. The ridiculous Hereford dock at the market negates the positives though.

For calving ease Hereford and Angus are hard to beat.
Rule 1 can't sell a dead calf.
You're starting off with a 50% English composite cow so either will tighten the leather and trim the ear.

This young lady will be introduced to an Angus first go around.

Latest posts